Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:04
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Congrats Jan 26, 2017

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:

I'm just about to make the leap from Windows to Mac.

Congratulations to Madeleine- the real beauty of the Mac is not the physical machine, but the operating system. Over time you'll get to know it. If you have any problems, head on over to the Apple discussions forums here: https://discussions.apple.com/welcome

BTW you've just got yourself a free dictation/voice command programme that's as good (some say better) than the commercial products like Dragon. I use it all the time. Open System Preferences and click on "Dictation & Speech".

[Edited at 2017-01-26 08:48 GMT]

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 11:04
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
memoQ will eventually come to macOS, I think Jan 26, 2017

It’s not entirely up to Kilgray to bring memoQ to macOS. memoQ is a .NET application, which means that until recently there was no way of porting it to macOS without significant compromises.

But now, the ‘new Microsoft’ has made gr
... See more
It’s not entirely up to Kilgray to bring memoQ to macOS. memoQ is a .NET application, which means that until recently there was no way of porting it to macOS without significant compromises.

But now, the ‘new Microsoft’ has made great steps towards allowing developers to code once and deploy on Windows, macOS and Linux. They have even made Visual Studio available on macOS. Therefore, now would be a good time for Kilgray to start testing memoQ on macOS or even on Linux. But when this effort might come to fruition is a totally different question.

We’ll have to wait and see.

[Edited at 2017-01-26 10:08 GMT]
Collapse

Dénis Wettmann
Dénis Wettmann  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 10:04
Member (2016)
German to English
+ ...
Long time Mac user Jan 26, 2017

I hope you will love your new MacBook. 😍 I solely use macOS and iOS devices for the past decade and use Memsource since it has been released. I never enjoyed any of the VM software since it takes away the 'it just works' magic that Apple meticulously integrated into the software- and hardware fusion. Office 365 can be purchases as a yearly subscription via iOS, which can be also used on your Mac. It is compatible with most files being used by other CAT tools. One of the biggest perks it is fu... See more
I hope you will love your new MacBook. 😍 I solely use macOS and iOS devices for the past decade and use Memsource since it has been released. I never enjoyed any of the VM software since it takes away the 'it just works' magic that Apple meticulously integrated into the software- and hardware fusion. Office 365 can be purchases as a yearly subscription via iOS, which can be also used on your Mac. It is compatible with most files being used by other CAT tools. One of the biggest perks it is fully cloud based and I can work from any machine I have in front of me.Collapse

VIP9N
VIP9N
Local time: 12:04
Russian to English
+ ...
Revealing a "secret" Jan 26, 2017

Come on guys, Madeleine had made the leap from Windows to Mac (if yes) almost 7.5 years ago. I know Mac-lovers are big enthusiasts, but read the topic date first

Good luck

Dénis Wettmann
Dénis Wettmann  Identity Verified
Ireland
Member (2016)
German to English
+ ...
Slightly ashamed Jan 27, 2017

VIP9N wrote:

Come on guys, Madeleine had made the leap from Windows to Mac (if yes) almost 7.5 years ago. I know Mac-lovers are big enthusiasts, but read the topic date first

Good luck

I noticed the date after my contribution, 😂 thought I leave it either way.

Standing slightly embarrassed in the corner. 😳

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
memoQ .NET on Mac? Mar 1, 2017

memoQ 8 Adriatic uses the .NET framework. Will it be available for Mac too?

https://www.microsoft.com/net/core#macos

Has this been discusses somewhere?

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 11:04
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
It always has Mar 1, 2017

memoQ has always used the .NET framework, since version 1.

Your link points to .NET Core, which is different. It's too soon for a full-fledged application like memoQ to migrate to .NET Core from the full .NET framework. But it could be done at some point in the future, I think.

Richard Jacobs
Richard Jacobs  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2020)
English to Dutch
+ ...
MemoQ on Mac Jul 13, 2020

Sorry to boost such an old post, but now SDL is bringing Trados Studio to the web in their 2021 version, is there any news of MemoQ offering a similar solution to Mac users?

Lucia Messuti
Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Latest news from MemoQ are negative Jul 13, 2020

I've asked a couple months ago before buying the new version 9.2 and they confirmed at the moment they have no plans for a Mac-based version.

I've seen SDL has scheduled a web-based version (2021) but it is not really installed in the Mac system, it will be used online with a browser. This means all your data, such as TM and TB will be on the SDL servers. I understand it's a step forward but this is not the solution.

I sincerely don't understand why there isn't an SDL o
... See more
I've asked a couple months ago before buying the new version 9.2 and they confirmed at the moment they have no plans for a Mac-based version.

I've seen SDL has scheduled a web-based version (2021) but it is not really installed in the Mac system, it will be used online with a browser. This means all your data, such as TM and TB will be on the SDL servers. I understand it's a step forward but this is not the solution.

I sincerely don't understand why there isn't an SDL or MemoQ version for Mac. In the past there were less Mac users, but now there are much more users among translators.

I'm waiting for a Mac version since many years.

Let's wait....

Lucia
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
memoQWebTrans Jul 13, 2020

Richard Jacobs wrote:

Sorry to boost such an old post, but now SDL is bringing Trados Studio to the web in their 2021 version, is there any news of MemoQ offering a similar solution to Mac users?

MemoQ offers the web tool memoQWebTrans, but it isn't a complete version.

Richard Jacobs
Richard Jacobs  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2020)
English to Dutch
+ ...
MemoQ on Mac Jul 13, 2020

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Richard Jacobs wrote:

MemoQ offers the web tool memoQWebTrans, but it isn't a complete version.

Yeah that won't work. Safari isn't even supported.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Browser Jul 13, 2020

Richard Jacobs wrote:

Yeah that won't work. Safari isn't even supported.

Did you try another browser?

See https://docs.memoq.com/web/8/en-US/index.html?connect_to_memoqwebtrans.html

Lucia Messuti
Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
MemoQWebTrans has very limited features Jul 13, 2020

And it cannot be used by a freelancer with personal TMs and TBs.

Apparently it can be used by agencies and similar. Or not?

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Agencies Jul 13, 2020

Lucia Messuti wrote:

Apparently it can be used by agencies and similar. Or not?

One of the agencies I work for makes it available to their translators, but as I have my own licence and use Windows, I have never used the web version.

I guess the same goes for 'and similar'.

In any case, there isn't a full native version for Mac. If I had a Mac, I would use VMware or Parallels with Windows for the many applications that don't run on macOS. But then I could just as well use native Windows without macOS. So I don't have a Mac.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ on Mac?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »