Páginas no tópico:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: What computer type do you use for work?
Tópico cartaz: ProZ.com Staff
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 07:37
Membro
espanhol
+ ...
Tablet Feb 27, 2008

lexical wrote:

I was getting along just fine chiselling in cuneiform script on a pillar of granite till this poll came along and unsettled me. Where did I go wrong?

Actually the cuneiform *Tablet* falls into the laptop category ... the 'it rocks' kind.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Espanha
Local time: 14:37
espanhol para inglês
+ ...
Lovely Feb 28, 2008

Claudia Alvis wrote:

Actually the cuneiform *Tablet* falls into the laptop category ... the 'it rocks' kind.

I use both, but to be honest, I'm a heavy user and I need a desktop. I got the laptop when I began to see all sorts of nice new gadgets in interpretation booths, but my multitasking hasn't taken me that far yet so it's serving as a backup.

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Porto Rico
Local time: 08:37
espanhol para inglês
+ ...
Getting back on topic... Feb 28, 2008

...though I loved every word of the digression, lexical, Nicole, Claudia, and Parrot...

Witold Chocholski wrote:

I use desktop PC and two monitors, which sometimes happen to be not enough I simply cannot imagine working on one tiny screen.

I use three screens. My desktop PC has two large screens, and I swivel my chair to the laptop which I use for Internet research (including Proz, of course!). I started this setup by accident. My PC was stolen, I was given a laptop as a temporary replacement, the new desktop PC I bought came without a modem, so I had to keep using the laptop... Now I like this setup so much that I wouldn't even bother to get a modem for the desktop PC, except that I need to connect to the internet to update programs, especially virus protection.

(Why modem? Long story, but in case you're curious: Where I live there is no wireless reception and no cable, and satellite connections conk out whenever it rains. The antiquated phone lines make DSL nonfunctional--I tried. If they chop down the mountain across the road, either to build houses or to quarry the marble that blocks wireless signals, I'll try again, but I hope they don't do that!)

Miet Ooms
Miet Ooms
Bélgica
alemão para holandês
+ ...
Again: both Feb 28, 2008

Desktop during the day: big screen, more possibilities
Laptop: during travelling (I also teach languages and spend a lot of time on the train) and in the evening, with my family in the living room. Cosy...

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Dinamarca
Membro (2003)
dinamarquês para inglês
+ ...
Me too! Feb 28, 2008

Jack Doughty wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a tablet?

I have a laptop but don't like the keyboard. I make enough typos as it is, and spent all day correcting them when I tried the laptop. I ache from my head to lower back and cannot get the screen into a position where I can see it if I can also reach the keyboard.

OK, it's me, I know, but I've been battling with touch-typing on and off for over thirty years, and I'm never going to get any bettter. As long as it doesn't get worse, I can live with it.

But the machinery has to suit me, not the other way round.

Besides, I have my PC screen in the upright position, with Trados at the top and most of an A4 page visible below. Like Reed D. James, I like a big office chair and space for the books (and a separate space for a coffee cup and stand with a tea light to keep it hot... )

My 'cage' is slightly smaller than ten square metres, and there is no space for anything except my work.

The other advantage is that I keep work out of the rest of the house. When I'm out of office, I'm inaccessible (well, almost), off duty and not interested in work.

I keep the laptop for backup, but I hope I never have to use it seriously!

It's a good thing there are so many possible solutions - there's a chance for everyone to find one!

Konstantin Kisin
Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
Local time: 13:37
russo para inglês
+ ...
both, but... Feb 28, 2008

I absolutely hate working on laptops so I much prefer using my desktop.

Elena Carbonell
Elena Carbonell  Identity Verified
Holanda
Membro (2007)
inglês para espanhol
+ ...
Laughing my head off!! Feb 28, 2008

Nicole Schnell wrote:

lexical wrote:

I was getting along just fine chiselling in cuneiform script on a pillar of granite till this poll came along and unsettled me. Where did I go wrong?

Does your licence allow you to carve on a back-up pillar? I recently upgraded from carving bark 1.2 (got a serious worm-problem, though, Scolytinae. Damn little hackers.) Then I switched to leather 2.1. Never got the tanning process right, so I refrained from sending translations written on hide. My clients might say that my translations stink.

I got curious and ordered Granite 3.1. This version comes with a 40% proof enhanced carver slave which guarantees beautiful italic fonts.

Thank you for posting this. It has made me laugh!!

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Grécia
Local time: 15:37
inglês para grego
+ ...
Desktop forever! Feb 28, 2008

I had long used laptops, because of space limitations, which I anyway used with a plugged-in keyboard and mouse and was quite happy with. This year, however, when I got myself a new office and finally solved the space problem, I also invested in the latest state-of-the-art strong and quiet desktop with a BIG screen. I still have my laptop for backup, even though I think (and hope) that I won't have to change my desktop for a looong time.

However, it is true that if you invest in a
... See more
I had long used laptops, because of space limitations, which I anyway used with a plugged-in keyboard and mouse and was quite happy with. This year, however, when I got myself a new office and finally solved the space problem, I also invested in the latest state-of-the-art strong and quiet desktop with a BIG screen. I still have my laptop for backup, even though I think (and hope) that I won't have to change my desktop for a looong time.

However, it is true that if you invest in a good computer it doesn't really matter if it is desktop or laptop. It's simply more of a matter of personal taste and convenience.
Collapse

Páginas no tópico:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) deste fórum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What computer type do you use for work?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »