Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: What computer type do you use for work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Dolors Selis
Dolors Selis  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:02
English to Catalan
+ ...
I HAVE GOT BOTH, BUT I USE A LAPTOP Feb 27, 2008

Until last week I had always used a PC DESKTOP. Now I own a laptop and although I thought I would continue to use them both due to a feeling of gratitude towards the old one (it never left me down), now I am happier working till late in the kitchen in front of the fireplace.

I'm sorry for my old friend and I hope I'll be able to assign it a new function.

Dolors Selis i Masnou

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 09:02
Spanish
+ ...
Desktop, but only until the end of the week Feb 27, 2008

I've been using a desktop PC for years but I decided to use a laptop as a desktop replacement. I was undecided but I read on the fora that many people use laptops ONLY, so I figure I could do it too.

Since I need a comfortable keyboard and at least one large screen, I bought a cheap dock on Ebay. The cool thing about the dock is that it provides the laptop with several extra ports in order to connect all kinds of peripherals, including a double-monitor set-up; and the dock can be ea
... See more
I've been using a desktop PC for years but I decided to use a laptop as a desktop replacement. I was undecided but I read on the fora that many people use laptops ONLY, so I figure I could do it too.

Since I need a comfortable keyboard and at least one large screen, I bought a cheap dock on Ebay. The cool thing about the dock is that it provides the laptop with several extra ports in order to connect all kinds of peripherals, including a double-monitor set-up; and the dock can be easily disconnected from the laptop.

Still, I will keep the desktop just in case.
Collapse

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:02
Dutch to English
+ ...
Three laptops Feb 27, 2008

One with a 17 inch screen, which stays in the office as it's much too heavy to lug around, but is great for everyday work, normally connected to a docking station, with all the extra peripherals. Nice to be able to take it to another room if I'm sick of being at the desk.

The other has a dinky 12 inch screen, lovely and light to carry around and use for a day or two on the move - doesn't take up too much space at airports, on the train etc.

Finally, my Mac. Don't really
... See more
One with a 17 inch screen, which stays in the office as it's much too heavy to lug around, but is great for everyday work, normally connected to a docking station, with all the extra peripherals. Nice to be able to take it to another room if I'm sick of being at the desk.

The other has a dinky 12 inch screen, lovely and light to carry around and use for a day or two on the move - doesn't take up too much space at airports, on the train etc.

Finally, my Mac. Don't really use it for work, but nice to know it's there as backup, if needed.

Wouldn't go back to a desktop now.

[Edited at 2008-02-27 16:12]
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Both Feb 27, 2008

depending on where and when. I agree with what everyone says, the larger PC is faster and more comfortable - but Mac users take note - you won't find much use for them in Spain except for graphic programs - almost everything textwise here is done on PCs.
I had a big problem with a French translation once, as apparently Macs are more widely used there and I had to spend time finding someone who could convert the formats for me... although I hear it's more user friendly/compatible nowadays.
... See more
depending on where and when. I agree with what everyone says, the larger PC is faster and more comfortable - but Mac users take note - you won't find much use for them in Spain except for graphic programs - almost everything textwise here is done on PCs.
I had a big problem with a French translation once, as apparently Macs are more widely used there and I had to spend time finding someone who could convert the formats for me... although I hear it's more user friendly/compatible nowadays.

PS some of these polls are indeed pretty pointless.
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:02
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Tablet? Feb 27, 2008

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a tablet?

lillkakan
lillkakan
English to Swedish
Tablet PC Feb 27, 2008

For Jack:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tablet_pc

Personally I don't like the tablet for working, but I adore using one as input/pointer device when I work with graphics. I move too often to be comfortable with a stationary desktop PC - I went laptop only a couple of years back and I loooove my *pink* Inspiron, even if the 17'' is bulky to carry around.

Jocelyne S
Jocelyne S  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Thank you, Jack Feb 27, 2008

Jack Doughty wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a tablet?

I was waiting for someone to ask and didn't have time earlier to post the question myself!

Best,
Jocelyne

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:02
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Ahh...I get it. Feb 27, 2008

Kemal Mustajbegovic wrote:

...both

That's what the poster/editor/moderator is supposed to add to make this poll complete.

That's all I wanted to say, Amy!

[Edited at 2008-02-27 14:29]

Yes, you're right - the options could have been more complete!

Amy

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
I also use both but ... Feb 27, 2008

Reed D. James wrote:

The other advantage of a desktop computer is that if something breaks, or you want to upgrade it (i.e. the monitor, keyboard, mouse) you can buy/replace it separately.

I use my notebook because it is newer, faster and has Office 2003, while my desktop PC, though also Windows XP runs Office 2002. and has less memory. However, I use my notebook on my computer desk with a plug-in keyboard and a mouse. I never use the laptop's built-in keyboard if I can possibly avoid it. I even travel with my lightweight alu keyboard. I like not having the noise of the desktop fan. However, I am a bit concerned about what I would do if I needed to switch to the desktop because of a breakdown, as I cannot open 2003 files in XP.

My partner has a Mac but I find the graphics irritating and don't like the peculiar version of Office or the fact that he can't get his Canon scanner to work on it. I know people say it's more intuitive than Windows, but I don't find that it is for me.

Oleg Rudavin
Oleg Rudavin  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 17:02
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Four Feb 27, 2008

With different chatacteristics, different SW, different size monitors...

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to English
neither Feb 27, 2008

I was getting along just fine chiselling in cuneiform script on a pillar of granite till this poll came along and unsettled me. Where did I go wrong?

Hilde Granlund
Hilde Granlund  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
changing Feb 27, 2008

I started translating on my laptop, and ended up with a bad shoulder/arm.
Then I got a big screen and wireless keyboard that I connected to the laptop - and now I hava bought a desktop computer to connect to the two. I like to have both options, though - and will get a newer laptop in the not too distant future. Then my priority will be low weight and a good screen. One of the advantages of this work is to be able to take it on the road.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:02
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Cool! How much for the upgrade? Feb 27, 2008

lexical wrote:

I was getting along just fine chiselling in cuneiform script on a pillar of granite till this poll came along and unsettled me. Where did I go wrong?

Does your licence allow you to carve on a back-up pillar? I recently upgraded from carving bark 1.2 (got a serious worm-problem, though, Scolytinae. Damn little hackers.) Then I switched to leather 2.1. Never got the tanning process right, so I refrained from sending translations written on hide. My clients might say that my translations stink.

I got curious and ordered Granite 3.1. This version comes with a 40% proof enhanced carver slave which guarantees beautiful italic fonts.

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to English
yes but... Feb 27, 2008

Nicole Schnell wrote:

I got curious and ordered Granite 3.1. This version comes with a 40% proof enhanced carver slave which guarantees beautiful italic fonts.

There are compatibility problems between Granite 3.1 and Windows Vista. Safer to go for the Megalith OS.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:02
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Darn. Feb 27, 2008

lexical wrote:

There are compatibility problems between Granite 3.1 and Windows Vista. Safer to go for the Megalith OS.

Every year the same hassle - finding a new quarry.

So annoying.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What computer type do you use for work?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »