Páginas no tópico:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: What computer type do you use for work?
Tópico cartaz: ProZ.com Staff
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 13:32
Membro
espanhol
+ ...
Tablet Feb 27, 2008

lexical wrote:

I was getting along just fine chiselling in cuneiform script on a pillar of granite till this poll came along and unsettled me. Where did I go wrong?

Actually the cuneiform *Tablet* falls into the laptop category ... the 'it rocks' kind.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Espanha
Local time: 20:32
espanhol para inglês
+ ...
Lovely Feb 28, 2008

Claudia Alvis wrote:

Actually the cuneiform *Tablet* falls into the laptop category ... the 'it rocks' kind.

I use both, but to be honest, I'm a heavy user and I need a desktop. I got the laptop when I began to see all sorts of nice new gadgets in interpretation booths, but my multitasking hasn't taken me that far yet so it's serving as a backup.

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Porto Rico
Local time: 14:32
espanhol para inglês
+ ...
Getting back on topic... Feb 28, 2008

...though I loved every word of the digression, lexical, Nicole, Claudia, and Parrot...

Witold Chocholski wrote:

I use desktop PC and two monitors, which sometimes happen to be not enough I simply cannot imagine working on one tiny screen.

I use three screens. My desktop PC has two large screens, and I swivel my chair to the laptop which I use for Internet research (including Proz, of course!). I started this setup by accident. My PC was stolen, I was given a laptop as a temporary replacement, the new desktop PC I bought came without a modem, so I had to keep using the laptop... Now I like this setup so much that I wouldn't even bother to get a modem for the desktop PC, except that I need to connect to the internet to update programs, especially virus protection.

(Why modem? Long story, but in case you're curious: Where I live there is no wireless reception and no cable, and satellite connections conk out whenever it rains. The antiquated phone lines make DSL nonfunctional--I tried. If they chop down the mountain across the road, either to build houses or to quarry the marble that blocks wireless signals, I'll try again, but I hope they don't do that!)

Miet Ooms
Miet Ooms
Bélgica
alemão para holandês
+ ...
Again: both Feb 28, 2008

Desktop during the day: big screen, more possibilities
Laptop: during travelling (I also teach languages and spend a lot of time on the train) and in the evening, with my family in the living room. Cosy...

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Dinamarca
Membro (2003)
dinamarquês para inglês
+ ...
Me too! Feb 28, 2008

Jack Doughty wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a tablet?

I have a laptop but don't like the keyboard. I make enough typos as it is, and spent all day correcting them when I tried the laptop. I ache from my head to lower back and cannot get the screen into a position where I can see it if I can also reach the keyboard.

OK, it's me, I know, but I've been battling with touch-typing on and off for over thirty years, and I'm never going to get any bettter. As long as it doesn't get worse, I can live with it.

But the machinery has to suit me, not the other way round.

Besides, I have my PC screen in the upright position, with Trados at the top and most of an A4 page visible below. Like Reed D. James, I like a big office chair and space for the books (and a separate space for a coffee cup and stand with a tea light to keep it hot... )

My 'cage' is slightly smaller than ten square metres, and there is no space for anything except my work.

The other advantage is that I keep work out of the rest of the house. When I'm out of office, I'm inaccessible (well, almost), off duty and not interested in work.

I keep the laptop for backup, but I hope I never have to use it seriously!

It's a good thing there are so many possible solutions - there's a chance for everyone to find one!

Konstantin Kisin
Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
Local time: 19:32
russo para inglês
+ ...
both, but... Feb 28, 2008

I absolutely hate working on laptops so I much prefer using my desktop.

Elena Carbonell
Elena Carbonell  Identity Verified
Holanda
Membro (2007)
inglês para espanhol
+ ...
Laughing my head off!! Feb 28, 2008

Nicole Schnell wrote:

lexical wrote:

I was getting along just fine chiselling in cuneiform script on a pillar of granite till this poll came along and unsettled me. Where did I go wrong?

Does your licence allow you to carve on a back-up pillar? I recently upgraded from carving bark 1.2 (got a serious worm-problem, though, Scolytinae. Damn little hackers.) Then I switched to leather 2.1. Never got the tanning process right, so I refrained from sending translations written on hide. My clients might say that my translations stink.

I got curious and ordered Granite 3.1. This version comes with a 40% proof enhanced carver slave which guarantees beautiful italic fonts.

Thank you for posting this. It has made me laugh!!

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Grécia
Local time: 21:32
inglês para grego
+ ...
Desktop forever! Feb 28, 2008

I had long used laptops, because of space limitations, which I anyway used with a plugged-in keyboard and mouse and was quite happy with. This year, however, when I got myself a new office and finally solved the space problem, I also invested in the latest state-of-the-art strong and quiet desktop with a BIG screen. I still have my laptop for backup, even though I think (and hope) that I won't have to change my desktop for a looong time.

However, it is true that if you invest in a
... See more
I had long used laptops, because of space limitations, which I anyway used with a plugged-in keyboard and mouse and was quite happy with. This year, however, when I got myself a new office and finally solved the space problem, I also invested in the latest state-of-the-art strong and quiet desktop with a BIG screen. I still have my laptop for backup, even though I think (and hope) that I won't have to change my desktop for a looong time.

However, it is true that if you invest in a good computer it doesn't really matter if it is desktop or laptop. It's simply more of a matter of personal taste and convenience.
Collapse

Páginas no tópico:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) deste fórum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What computer type do you use for work?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »