Páginas no tópico:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Poll: Which is the weirdest place where you've ever worked on a translation/interpretation job?
Tópico cartaz: ProZ.com Staff
Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:46
inglês para francês
+ ...
In memoriam
Where nobody can go for me :-) Aug 31, 2011

It was the only peaceful place in the flat one night my husband was having some friends from a political party at home.
To understand, please note that in the typical Haussmannian Parisian flats, this is a very small room separated from the bathroom, and as it was nearly 30 years ago, I was still translating with a typewriter.

Fortunately for the guests comfort, we had two of those "rooms"

But I di
... See more
It was the only peaceful place in the flat one night my husband was having some friends from a political party at home.
To understand, please note that in the typical Haussmannian Parisian flats, this is a very small room separated from the bathroom, and as it was nearly 30 years ago, I was still translating with a typewriter.

Fortunately for the guests comfort, we had two of those "rooms"

But I did that once, only once, believe me

Catherine
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Alemanha
Membro (2009)
inglês para alemão
+ ...
An airplane Aug 31, 2011

That, within itself, might not appear to be very weird, but...

It was a Twinotter 19 (Beechcraft) from Mombassa, Kenya, en route to Masai Mara.
The weird part of that "working environment" was that the single one flight attendant was seated on a regular, old-fashioned kitchen chair in the back of the plane, holding on to the back of the seats in front of her in order to gain some "safety" during take-off and landing.

And yes, this actually did happen....
See more
That, within itself, might not appear to be very weird, but...

It was a Twinotter 19 (Beechcraft) from Mombassa, Kenya, en route to Masai Mara.
The weird part of that "working environment" was that the single one flight attendant was seated on a regular, old-fashioned kitchen chair in the back of the plane, holding on to the back of the seats in front of her in order to gain some "safety" during take-off and landing.

And yes, this actually did happen.
Collapse

Alma de Kok
Alma de Kok  Identity Verified
Holanda
Membro (2006)
polonês para holandês
+ ...
Reception area of a camping site at 40 degrees celcius Aug 31, 2011

In 2008 I arrived in Slovenia for my holidays (fantastic country...) and received a phonecall: I forgot to send my last translation.. So, I had to work on a touchscreencomputer, standing (no chairs) in the reception area of the campsite, on the gmailsite (there was only access to the internet, no Word, not even Notepad or the likes). Every 5 minutes or so I had to put coins in this machine to keep it working, while the sweat was dripping of my face. I worked 1,5 hour (it was a short translation... See more
In 2008 I arrived in Slovenia for my holidays (fantastic country...) and received a phonecall: I forgot to send my last translation.. So, I had to work on a touchscreencomputer, standing (no chairs) in the reception area of the campsite, on the gmailsite (there was only access to the internet, no Word, not even Notepad or the likes). Every 5 minutes or so I had to put coins in this machine to keep it working, while the sweat was dripping of my face. I worked 1,5 hour (it was a short translation), it cost me about 20 € for using this computer, which normally is used only to check the weather....
SInce then I always check three times if I sent all translations before I leave....

I also regularly work in a garage, waiting for my car being serviced (like Interlangue), between scarcely dressed ladies (on the wall)...
Collapse

Anette Hilgendag
Anette Hilgendag  Identity Verified
Espanha
Membro
inglês para alemão
+ ...
In a tented camp in Serengeti Aug 31, 2011

Actually, I'd name 2 places:

First the airport of Arusha and second our tent during a safari in the beautifil Serengeti National Park. And I have to add that the Vodacom usb modem I used to connect worked much better than my internet stick at home.

Vitals
Vitals  Identity Verified
Lituânia
Local time: 11:46
inglês para lituano
+ ...
Steam-room of a Russian sauna (bania) - 120 degrees C Aug 31, 2011

For those who understand what a Russian sauna/bania is:

Imagine: 120 degrees Celsius in the steam room (I enjoy this kind of Russian sauna), the folks you are interpreting for are sitting there with you, having a conversation, and...at a certain point you see that you need to run from the place, as you need to dip into cold water now. And they haven't finished their conversation yet! You just apologize and...run! to the pool.

You sometimes wonder how in the world my br
... See more
For those who understand what a Russian sauna/bania is:

Imagine: 120 degrees Celsius in the steam room (I enjoy this kind of Russian sauna), the folks you are interpreting for are sitting there with you, having a conversation, and...at a certain point you see that you need to run from the place, as you need to dip into cold water now. And they haven't finished their conversation yet! You just apologize and...run! to the pool.

You sometimes wonder how in the world my brain can translate at 120 C...
Collapse

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
Índia
Local time: 14:16
Membro (2008)
inglês para híndi
+ ...
Other - Hospital Aug 31, 2011

My wife was admitted to hospital and I needed to meet the deadline of a project from one of my main clients. So, I had no other option but to work in hospital!

Darío Giménez
Darío Giménez  Identity Verified
Espanha
inglês para espanhol
+ ...
Other - Tanzania Aug 31, 2011

In a hut by lake Tanganika (no network, of course), with a Kilimanjaro beer by my side...

neilmac
neilmac
Espanha
espanhol para inglês
+ ...
Other Aug 31, 2011

Hospital bed with a broken arm. The client brought me a laptop and I finished off a job with my one good hand (my left, although I'm right-handed) which wasn't too bad until the local anaesthetic wore off, after which it was less comfortable. At least it was more fun than watching the horrendous soaps on afternoon TV in Spain which apparently enthralled my neighbouring patients.

[Edited at 2011-08-31 11:37 GMT]

Stanislaw Kulikowski
Stanislaw Kulikowski  Identity Verified
Polônia
inglês para polonês
+ ...
Big underground sewers Aug 31, 2011

Suits, briefcases, the whole shebang, one meter over wastewater gurgling!

Stanislaw Kulikowski
Stanislaw Kulikowski  Identity Verified
Polônia
inglês para polonês
+ ...
Coal mine, 750 m underground, next to powerful header working. Aug 31, 2011

Full miner's outfit, rescue apparatus, hard hat, lamp, breathing mask, radio locator in case of an accident...

Eugenia Drapata
Eugenia Drapata
Argentina
Local time: 05:46
espanhol para inglês
+ ...
In a subway tunnel Aug 31, 2011

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Which is the weirdest place where you've ever worked on a translation/interpretation job?".

View the poll results »

In the construction of the tunnel for the Line B subway Buenos Aires City

kifahl
kifahl
Austrália
Local time: 18:46
inglês para árabe
+ ...
In the toilet Aug 31, 2011

I Have never ever expected to interpret for someone in the toilet but I did.

Cathy Przybylski
Cathy Przybylski  Identity Verified
Membro (2010)
alemão para francês
+ ...
in a kitchen Aug 31, 2011

it was the day after a wedding. Everybody talked about the wedding and I was translating on the kitchen table, with many dirty plates and coffee cups around me!

Béatrice DEZERALD
Béatrice DEZERALD  Identity Verified
França
Membro (2008)
inglês para francês
+ ...
Same as Interlangue and Alma ! Aug 31, 2011

In the garage of a mechanic, waiting for my car to be serviced. I went there with a simple and little translation job because such a noisy place is very bad for proper concentration !!

During years, I used to perform translation/interpretation jobs for doctors ; that's why a hospital was not a weird place for me in those days

Now, nearly all places are weird ... except my office !

[Mod
... See more
In the garage of a mechanic, waiting for my car to be serviced. I went there with a simple and little translation job because such a noisy place is very bad for proper concentration !!

During years, I used to perform translation/interpretation jobs for doctors ; that's why a hospital was not a weird place for me in those days

Now, nearly all places are weird ... except my office !

[Modifié le 2011-08-31 14:31 GMT]
Collapse

Susana González Tuya
Susana González Tuya
Espanha
Membro (2010)
inglês para espanhol
+ ...
In a police station at 1.00am Aug 31, 2011

while I was waiting to report that my handbag had been stolen. A very drunk woman was waiting before me and she had injuries all over her face and couldn´t understand a word of English.
Her story got weirder and weirder. I left the police station at 3.30am with the feeling that I should have charge the MET for it.

Páginas no tópico:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) deste fórum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which is the weirdest place where you've ever worked on a translation/interpretation job?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »