Sjir Worms
Sjir Worms  Identity Verified
Holanda
Local time: 17:33
inglês para holandês
+ ...
Jan 27, 2016

Dear all,

Do any of you have experience with translating subtitles at a rate per minute of runtime?

I'm in touch with a US based company for translating (movie, series, dvd) subtitles. I've never translated subtitles before. They provide me with the English texts, and I only have to translate them into Dutch. There are no issues of timing, transcription, etc., since the company does this in-house. I only have to take into account a maximum nr. of characters (which is no
... See more
Dear all,

Do any of you have experience with translating subtitles at a rate per minute of runtime?

I'm in touch with a US based company for translating (movie, series, dvd) subtitles. I've never translated subtitles before. They provide me with the English texts, and I only have to translate them into Dutch. There are no issues of timing, transcription, etc., since the company does this in-house. I only have to take into account a maximum nr. of characters (which is not that hard, since the source and target languages are rather similar). Only problem is: they won't accept a per word or per hour quote. Do any of you know how to (roughly) calculate the nr. of words per minute of video runtime? Is there an average of words/minute? I'm just asking so I can calculate if they offer me a fair rate, and if they aren't, what counter-offer I could make them...

Many thanks in advance!
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Espanha
espanhol para inglês
+ ...
It's minute-based Jan 28, 2016

Imagine an image-heavy clip you had to watch 20 minutes of before you got a clear line. Just because you're watching passively doesn't mean you're not spending time you could be using on another job.

A professional subtitler once told me 30 minutes of footage a day is reasonable in the trade. I've found this helpful. On that basis, your day rate could be divided by 30.

Sylvano
Sylvano
inglês para francês
Browse the forum! Jan 28, 2016

Hi Sjir Worms,

Check the other threads in this forum, the question has been asked a thousand times.
Be careful : translation for subtitles is a very specific task, although every 'outsider' seems to think it's easy, quick and fun. And sorry to state the obvious : don't do it if they don't give you the video to see what you're translating...

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brasil
Local time: 12:33
inglês para português
+ ...
In memoriam
Carve that in stone!!! Jan 28, 2016

Sylvano wrote:

Translation for subtitles is a very specific task, although every 'outsider' seems to think it's easy, quick and fun.

Perhaps have it on a billboard with blinking neon letters somewhere.

sja

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitle translation: rates per minute

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »