Tópico cartaz: Ana Jimenez H.
Ana Jimenez H.
Ana Jimenez H.  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:51
espanhol para inglês
+ ...
Feb 5, 2005

Hi,

I charge all my translations by word-count. Some days ago I translated the label of a widely-sold product. It was just 100 words or so, and I charged accordingly. However, it doesn´t 'fit' to me that this big company I did the tranlsation for will profit from the translated label whereas I earned less than $50 for my service!

I am sure there must be a different charging strategy for advertisement translations ....Since I will be doing more of this type of work, I
... See more
Hi,

I charge all my translations by word-count. Some days ago I translated the label of a widely-sold product. It was just 100 words or so, and I charged accordingly. However, it doesn´t 'fit' to me that this big company I did the tranlsation for will profit from the translated label whereas I earned less than $50 for my service!

I am sure there must be a different charging strategy for advertisement translations ....Since I will be doing more of this type of work, I would really appreciate all suggestions and advice. Sincere thanks in advance, Ana
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 09:51
inglês para espanhol
+ ...
In memoriam
Publicidad Feb 6, 2005

Creo que es un poco difícil que te den siquiera un peso chileno por cada producto que se venda por traducir la etiqueta. Por otra parte, si se trata de publicidad y tienes que hacer uso de bastante creatividad en el trabajo, entonces se debe cobrar por horas.

Además en el rubro de la publicidad le conviene a la empresa hacer uso de los servicios de una agencia conocedora del mercado donde se vende el producto; si hace bien su labor, será mucho más que una traducción.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Alemanha
Local time: 17:51
inglês para alemão
+ ...
English, please... Feb 6, 2005

Hi Henry,
Thanks for your response to Ana's question.
Would you mind re-posting it in English, so all users of this forum can benefit from it? I'd appreciate it.

TIA, and best regards,
Ralf

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 09:51
inglês para espanhol
+ ...
In memoriam
Sorry... Advertising Feb 6, 2005

I'm so used to reading and using Spanish on this forum (in general), I use it too much, perhaps.

Advertising

I think it's pretty unlikely that they'll give even one Chilean peso per product sold for translating the label. On the other hand, if it involves advertising and you have to use a lot of creativity to do the job, then you should charge by the hour.

Besides, in the area of advertising, the company would do better to use the services of an advertising
... See more
I'm so used to reading and using Spanish on this forum (in general), I use it too much, perhaps.

Advertising

I think it's pretty unlikely that they'll give even one Chilean peso per product sold for translating the label. On the other hand, if it involves advertising and you have to use a lot of creativity to do the job, then you should charge by the hour.

Besides, in the area of advertising, the company would do better to use the services of an advertising agency that is knowledgeable in the market where the product is sold; if it does its job well, it will be a lot more than a translation.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Alemanha
inglês para alemão
+ ...
Thanks! Feb 6, 2005

Thanks, Henry.

Ana Jimenez H.
Ana Jimenez H.  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:51
espanhol para inglês
+ ...
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
charging for advertising, how to go about it Feb 6, 2005

Hi Henry,

I appreciate your advice. However , I do not like charging by the hour because there are some texts that will require more time than others, based on the difficulty they present to me (I get all sorts of subjects and I do like to take my time before sending the translation to the client.)

So I am actually looking for some advice on word rates or other ways of approaching this issue. Any more ideas?
Thanks

mmsloboda (X)
mmsloboda (X)
Local time: 00:51
Copywriting fees Feb 7, 2005

If your output is the same quality as the output of local copywriters, you can try to charge accordingly. Since copywriting is more of a "black art" than straight translation, there is more negotiation involved.

This page is a random list of some flat charges from a small outfit in the US.
http://www.mirandawrites.com/copywriting_fees.html
But note that he has e
... See more
If your output is the same quality as the output of local copywriters, you can try to charge accordingly. Since copywriting is more of a "black art" than straight translation, there is more negotiation involved.

This page is a random list of some flat charges from a small outfit in the US.
http://www.mirandawrites.com/copywriting_fees.html
But note that he has experience and can point to a client list. On the other hand, you can deal with the cross-cultural aspects...and I have no idea what these services go for in your country.

Perhaps start by finding out what your client normally pays for copywriting services.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Holanda
Membro (2006)
inglês para africâner
+ ...
Charge a minimum rate Feb 9, 2005

Ana Jiménez wrote:

Charge a minimum rate for all jobs (equal to, say, your normal rate for 1000 words).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charging for advertising

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »