How do you check cross-file consistency in XTM?
Thread poster: Réka Patik
Réka Patik
Réka Patik  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 20:07
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Aug 2, 2023

Hi everyone,
I work quite a lot in XTM, and my projects often consist of multiple files to translate/post-edit. As far as I know, there's no way to open multiple files at once, so that I can filter all the files for a specific expression at the same time, for example. And as it often happens, the TM just won't show fast enough what I remember to have already completed in a previous file, neither does concordance search help in quite a few occassions.
So, here comes my question: what
... See more
Hi everyone,
I work quite a lot in XTM, and my projects often consist of multiple files to translate/post-edit. As far as I know, there's no way to open multiple files at once, so that I can filter all the files for a specific expression at the same time, for example. And as it often happens, the TM just won't show fast enough what I remember to have already completed in a previous file, neither does concordance search help in quite a few occassions.
So, here comes my question: what is the best way to check cross-file consistency in XTM?
My best solution so far: export the xliffs, and open them all at once in another CAT tool which enables such manouvre. So I can do the verification steps I find necessary, and enter the modifications in XTM, too. (Which is a bit time-consuming.)
What are your ways of working in this case?
Thank you for your thoughts!
Collapse

Laurence Fogarty
Laurence Fogarty  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:07
Italian to English
+ ...
Yes, that is the solution. Aug 3, 2023

That is one of the main issues in XTM, and I always justify my decision not to use it by pointing out the impossibility of checking cross-file consistency. I export as xliff to my CAT and let the CAT do the check, it is otherwise impossible.

Réka Patik

Mohamed
Mohamed  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:07
English to Arabic
+ ...
worse tool ever Sep 9, 2023

I really have no clue why clients are insisting on using this tool. It is full of problems and issues. Random meaningless tags, no cross-propagation, etc.

Jin Kim

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How do you check cross-file consistency in XTM?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »