Pagine:   < [1 2]
Poll: How long do you usually keep the files you've translated after you've submitted them to the client?
Iniziatore argomento: ProZ.com Staff
Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germania
Local time: 06:51
Membro (2006)
Da Tedesco a Inglese
Never, really Jan 7, 2014

I save all files on an external HD and have never really deleted any files unless requested to do so by the customer

Mirjam Rodink
Mirjam Rodink  Identity Verified
Spagna
Da Spagnolo a Olandese
+ ...
Never Jan 7, 2014

I never delete the files. As lots of other translators I just store them on an external disk. You never know if you need it later in case of a claim or just because you have to make another translation for the same customer.

Graeme Walle (X)
Graeme Walle (X)  Identity Verified
Finlandia
Local time: 07:51
Da Finlandese a Inglese
+ ...
Reminds me of the time.... Jan 7, 2014

This reminds of the time back to the days of floppy discs when a client contacted me after two years to ask me for the source file of an important document. They had lost the original, which was rather important for their organisation.So unless the client specifically requires it I have a policy of keeping everything.

In these days of increasing computer security threats, I am rethinking this, especially after glancing through some of this discussion. I think keeping archives on en
... See more
This reminds of the time back to the days of floppy discs when a client contacted me after two years to ask me for the source file of an important document. They had lost the original, which was rather important for their organisation.So unless the client specifically requires it I have a policy of keeping everything.

In these days of increasing computer security threats, I am rethinking this, especially after glancing through some of this discussion. I think keeping archives on encrypted hard drives only — as someone mentioned — is probably one solution. Good topic to discuss.

Chris S wrote:

It's like all those bits and bobs you stash in the shed - you never know when something might come in handy
Collapse

Vibeke Degn-P
Vibeke Degn-P  Identity Verified
Norvegia
Membro (2010)
Da Inglese a Norvegese
+ ...
Keep everything Jan 7, 2014

I have always kept eveything, mostly because I'm too lazy to figure out what files to keep or let go. But a year or so ago, I got the most angry email from a freshly hired manager of a company, telling me (not asking - telling!) to remove their logo from my translation website because I "obviously never had worked for them, and obviously was trying to bathe my business in the sunshine from their business". It was a good feeling to be able to send a short reply, politely telling the man to sh.. u... See more
I have always kept eveything, mostly because I'm too lazy to figure out what files to keep or let go. But a year or so ago, I got the most angry email from a freshly hired manager of a company, telling me (not asking - telling!) to remove their logo from my translation website because I "obviously never had worked for them, and obviously was trying to bathe my business in the sunshine from their business". It was a good feeling to be able to send a short reply, politely telling the man to sh.. up, of course with a couple of POs, a couple of translation examples and - of course! - the written confirmation from the former manager stating they were very happy with my work, and yes I could use them as a reference on my site. Never heard from the angry man after that.
So don't delete anything. It could come in handy.
Vibeke
Collapse

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germania
Da Italiano a Tedesco
+ ...
Other... Jan 7, 2014

... For obvious reasons helping my professional image, the answer can only be: Other.

Greets,
Mike

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italia
Da Inglese a Italiano
I do not delete them Jan 7, 2014

I have a folder for each client, and therein you can find all the translations I have done in my career, divided year by year. An they are useful. Sometimes the clients ask to make some changes to an old translation (in my field it is quite common) so you just take what you need and you work on it.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germania
Membro (2009)
Da Inglese a Tedesco
+ ...
I don't delete files Jan 7, 2014

Gianluca Marras wrote:

I have a folder for each client, and therein you can find all the translations I have done in my career, divided year by year. An they are useful. Sometimes the clients ask to make some changes to an old translation (in my field it is quite common) so you just take what you need and you work on it.

Like Gianluca I keep all translations in the proper folder for each client and by the year.

This comes in handy when a client references a new project to an old one. So instead of having the client resend my translation, I just pull it from the client's folder and start to work. Saves us both some time.

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:51
Membro (2006)
Da Olandese a Inglese
+ ...
Other ... Jan 7, 2014

Depends what I have agreed with the client
Some clients wish me to delete their files immediately. Others don't.
And I'm with Chris S on this, a client contacted me at the end of the year and asked me to translate the annual accounts using the format we used for the 2006 accounts, luckily I still had it, which saved endless converting, formatting, typing, etc. as the accounts always come to me in scanned pdf format.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Danimarca
Da Danese a Inglese
+ ...
Indefinitely... so far Jan 7, 2014

... although I have started thinking that I would delete files after a year, as I have a pronounced tidiness gene. As I do all my work using a CAT tool, I hardly ever refer back to former translations, as all similar content will crop up via the TMs.

However, I only keep my own translations, final versions after any proofreading, not the source files or any other reference documents my clients send me. I don't see a need to serve as an external archive for forgetful clients who migh
... See more
... although I have started thinking that I would delete files after a year, as I have a pronounced tidiness gene. As I do all my work using a CAT tool, I hardly ever refer back to former translations, as all similar content will crop up via the TMs.

However, I only keep my own translations, final versions after any proofreading, not the source files or any other reference documents my clients send me. I don't see a need to serve as an external archive for forgetful clients who might occasionally lose their original files, I must admit.
Collapse

nrichy (X)
nrichy (X)
Francia
Da Francese a Olandese
+ ...
Other of course Jan 7, 2014

It depends on what has been agreed. In most cases I keep them until I have been paid, but as I have trusted clients I could delete them immediately. Other clients don't care or don't have any sensitive stuff.

Someone in my family had her laptop stolen. She's not a translator, but everything was in it: accounts, contracts, work. All the files which belonged to her company. Just imagine this from a confidentiality point of view.

Rosa Paredes
Rosa Paredes  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:51
Da Spagnolo a Inglese
+ ...
Is it necessary? Jan 7, 2014

Everything I do is received and sent out via e-mail, so I wonder, why would that not be enough for so many of you (?) Just curiosity.

Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:51
Da Tedesco a Inglese
Forever? Jan 7, 2014

I currently have about 24 years of jobs on file. Which I do not use as "samples" because my work is always confidential - they are for my own private reference.

Steve K.

Pagine:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatore(i) di questo Forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How long do you usually keep the files you've translated after you've submitted them to the client?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »