Creating an auto translate rule for dates (e.g. 10.3.2020 -> March 10, 2020)
Thread poster: Hanna Nelimarkka
Hanna Nelimarkka
Hanna Nelimarkka  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 05:53
English to Finnish
+ ...
Jul 1, 2021

Hello everyone,

new MemoQ user here, bought the software recently and I'm trying to understand the auto-translation rule creation. Could someone help me to make a rule for converting dates into the right format? I don't quite understand how to form a string that would automatically understand all the different dates and convert them, nor am I all that sure where I need to put it. ^^; I've created translation pairs named #kuukaudet# for the month names, but that is as far as I got be
... See more
Hello everyone,

new MemoQ user here, bought the software recently and I'm trying to understand the auto-translation rule creation. Could someone help me to make a rule for converting dates into the right format? I don't quite understand how to form a string that would automatically understand all the different dates and convert them, nor am I all that sure where I need to put it. ^^; I've created translation pairs named #kuukaudet# for the month names, but that is as far as I got before I got confused. I would greatly appreciate any help!
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Try this Jul 1, 2021

For "Auto-translation rules" type this:*
([0-9]+)(#month#)([0-9]{4})

For "Replace order rules" type this:
$2 $1, $3

For "Translation pairs" type this:
#month# in the left bottom field
.1. in "Source"
January in "Destination"
.2. in "Source"
February in "Destination"
.12. in "Source"
December in "Destination"
=========
*Every group in parentheses counts from 1 to infinity.
Group 1 i
... See more
For "Auto-translation rules" type this:*
([0-9]+)(#month#)([0-9]{4})

For "Replace order rules" type this:
$2 $1, $3

For "Translation pairs" type this:
#month# in the left bottom field
.1. in "Source"
January in "Destination"
.2. in "Source"
February in "Destination"
.12. in "Source"
December in "Destination"
=========
*Every group in parentheses counts from 1 to infinity.
Group 1 is ([0-9]+), it means any number consisting of 1 or more digits. This includes 1, 23, 357, 8723, etc.
Group 2 is (#month#), it means any value from the list of months you created.
Group 3 is ([0-9]{4}) , it means any number consisting of 4 digits exactly.
When replacing the groups, you should use $1 to $infinity accordingly to identify those groups.
Безымянный
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
You can change #month# to #kuukaudet#... Jul 1, 2021

...it does not matter how you describe it. I put "month" there just mechanically.
Also, if you added numbers for months (without dots, like 1=January, 2=February, etc.), then you need to add dots in the rule, and the rule should be like this:

([0-9]+).(#month#).([0-9]{4})
$2 $1, $3

It will work the same way as the above regular expression. But I think this one is even better, so just discard my first suggestion (where .1.=January, .2.=February, etc.), even t
... See more
...it does not matter how you describe it. I put "month" there just mechanically.
Also, if you added numbers for months (without dots, like 1=January, 2=February, etc.), then you need to add dots in the rule, and the rule should be like this:

([0-9]+).(#month#).([0-9]{4})
$2 $1, $3

It will work the same way as the above regular expression. But I think this one is even better, so just discard my first suggestion (where .1.=January, .2.=February, etc.), even though both do the same trick.

And don't forget to check the box against your auto-translation rule to make it work.

[Edited at 2021-07-01 18:02 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating an auto translate rule for dates (e.g. 10.3.2020 -> March 10, 2020)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »