Video on auto-translation rules
Thread poster: Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:03
Finnish to French
Oct 10, 2012

I just made a video (9 min.) showing how to use three simple auto-translation rules to translate phrases like "two days ago", "three months ago", "15 years ago" etc. into French:

See more
I just made a video (9 min.) showing how to use three simple auto-translation rules to translate phrases like "two days ago", "three months ago", "15 years ago" etc. into French:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2012/10/11/memoq-auto-translation-rules-explained/
or
http://youtu.be/8DcBv0Zh6sg?hd=1

The sample rule set used in video (3 KB ZIP file) is available at http://goo.gl/VaBBZ
Collapse

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 22:03
English to Chinese
very informative Oct 11, 2012

Another well-done video with lots of useful information, Dominique! Thank you! I am going to try reproducing this for my language pair.

Fortunately, this may even be easier for Chinese because "ago" can stay where it is, although we tend to place the time element at the end of the sentence.

One follow up question: How do you set up this auto-translation rule so that this rule is selected for future projects by default? I still can't figure out how to create a project
... See more
Another well-done video with lots of useful information, Dominique! Thank you! I am going to try reproducing this for my language pair.

Fortunately, this may even be easier for Chinese because "ago" can stay where it is, although we tend to place the time element at the end of the sentence.

One follow up question: How do you set up this auto-translation rule so that this rule is selected for future projects by default? I still can't figure out how to create a project template in MemoQ that allows me to use the same settings (such as a customized rule like this one) without re-selecting them when creating a new project.

Thank you.

Chun-yi
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:03
Finnish to French
TOPIC STARTER
Set auto-translation rule set as default for given language Oct 11, 2012

Chun-yi Chen wrote:

You're welcome!
Chun-yi Chen wrote:

If the word order is the same in both languages, you could of course add the individual components, ie. numbers (two, three, four...), time units (days, weeks...) and "ago" and their equivalents in Chinese to a termbase and let fragment assembling do the job. This is auto-assemble used as a "poor man's MT" (translation word by word). But the memoQ auto-translation rules will also work.
Chun-yi Chen wrote:
One follow up question: How do you set up this auto-translation rule so that this rule is selected for future projects by default? I still can't figure out how to create a project template in MemoQ that allows me to use the same settings (such as a customized rule like this one) without re-selecting them when creating a new project.

Instead of going to auto-translation rules via Project Home > Settings inside a given project, go there via Tools > Options > Default resources. You should be able to enable your newly created rule set for Chinese:

If I understand correctly, this means all new projects with Chinese as target will inherit that rule set. If you are translating the other way round (Chinese into English), choose English instead.

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 22:03
English to Chinese
You ARE a CAT guru, Dominique! Oct 11, 2012

Usually when people cat-hop, they tend to excel in one of them, but this doesn't seem to be your case:)

Although the order in Chinese for the time element is the same as in English, the auto-translation solution seems to be a bigger time saver, so I will definitely try this solution you came up with.

And thank you for the information on how to set my own rules as default for future files. I have been using MemoQ for over a year now and never realize I can change settin
... See more
Usually when people cat-hop, they tend to excel in one of them, but this doesn't seem to be your case:)

Although the order in Chinese for the time element is the same as in English, the auto-translation solution seems to be a bigger time saver, so I will definitely try this solution you came up with.

And thank you for the information on how to set my own rules as default for future files. I have been using MemoQ for over a year now and never realize I can change settings in Default resources...so embarrassing.

Chun-yi

Dominique Pivard wrote:

If the word order is the same in both languages, you could of course add the individual components, ie. numbers (two, three, four...), time units (days, weeks...) and "ago" and their equivalents in Chinese to a termbase and let fragment assembling do the job. This is auto-assemble used as a "poor man's MT" (translation word by word). But the memoQ auto-translation rules will also work.

[/quote]
Instead of going to auto-translation rules via Project Home > Settings inside a given project, go there via Tools > Options > Default resources. You should be able to enable your newly created rule set for Chinese:

If I understand correctly, this means all new projects with Chinese as target will inherit that rule set. If you are translating the other way round (Chinese into English), choose English instead. [/quote]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Video on auto-translation rules

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »