David Howard
David Howard  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:46
French to English
+ ...
May 24, 2011

Hi everyone,

I've been asked by a client about translating directly on their WCMS (and the possibility of outsourcing to other translators). Before I ask them any silly questions, is this usually a straight forward procedure whereby I download files from their CMS, translate them (in Trados or whatever) and then upload them, or do I translate the files directly in their system? If so, how does that work? Is this more of a job for an agency with an integrated system?

... See more
Hi everyone,

I've been asked by a client about translating directly on their WCMS (and the possibility of outsourcing to other translators). Before I ask them any silly questions, is this usually a straight forward procedure whereby I download files from their CMS, translate them (in Trados or whatever) and then upload them, or do I translate the files directly in their system? If so, how does that work? Is this more of a job for an agency with an integrated system?

Many thanks,

David

[Edited at 2011-05-24 15:28 GMT]
Collapse

S E (X)
S E (X)
Italy
Local time: 13:46
Italian to English
admin access to website May 24, 2011

Hi David,

My experience might be too small-scale for your purposes, but in case it helps: I translate the English versions of the websites of several clients, and all of them have set up special access for me to their websites in WordPress.

I enter my log in info and am taken to the dashboard, where I can see a list of all previous posts (or pages, if need be): the ones I have already translated are marked as such, and the ones to be translated are likewise indicated. W
... See more
Hi David,

My experience might be too small-scale for your purposes, but in case it helps: I translate the English versions of the websites of several clients, and all of them have set up special access for me to their websites in WordPress.

I enter my log in info and am taken to the dashboard, where I can see a list of all previous posts (or pages, if need be): the ones I have already translated are marked as such, and the ones to be translated are likewise indicated. When I click on a post to be translated, I am taken to a blank post entry page, specific to both the original post and the language I translate into (I have noticed target languages can be selected from a dropdown menu, facilitating multilingual use).

My access is set up specifically for providing English translations of the posts; the site administrator can set up as many users as necessary and specify access parameters for each one.

As for uploading the translations, there might be a better way, but I simply copy and paste the posts or pages from the website itself, translate using my own software, and then copy and paste into the WordPress form for the specific post. I then add images, video, captions, keywords, etc. and then check the whole thing with the preview function. When the translation is ready to go, I select the option to send it to the client and then they publish it.

Is this the kind of information you were looking for?

Sarah
Collapse

David Howard
David Howard  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:46
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very helpful, thanks! May 25, 2011

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your message, it was really helpful.

My experience so far is that it's not the norm to give access to someone's CMS, hense my question. There are obvious security risks involved, but then if it makes the process more streamlined and they're happy to do it that way, it's up the them. Usually I'm sent the individual files, I translate them and send them back for the client to deal with.

I can speak to the client now without feeling like
... See more
Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your message, it was really helpful.

My experience so far is that it's not the norm to give access to someone's CMS, hense my question. There are obvious security risks involved, but then if it makes the process more streamlined and they're happy to do it that way, it's up the them. Usually I'm sent the individual files, I translate them and send them back for the client to deal with.

I can speak to the client now without feeling like I don't know something I really should about CMS!

Thanks again,
David
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WCMS/CMS - help please!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »