How do I translate an .xml file using an .xsd file?
Thread poster: Peter Adolph
Peter Adolph
Peter Adolph
Local time: 10:09
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
Dec 21, 2010

Help!

How do I translate an XML file with either SDL Trados Studio or TWB using the client's .xsd file?

I'm new to all aspects of translation of software strings and need help.

The .xml file contains a source and a target language, and the source now needs to be translated into a second target language (by one of my vendors). I've managed to create an .ini file in TagEditor using the .xsd file, but still all text that should be translated appears inside t
... See more
Help!

How do I translate an XML file with either SDL Trados Studio or TWB using the client's .xsd file?

I'm new to all aspects of translation of software strings and need help.

The .xml file contains a source and a target language, and the source now needs to be translated into a second target language (by one of my vendors). I've managed to create an .ini file in TagEditor using the .xsd file, but still all text that should be translated appears inside the tags in TE ...

It's probably not very complicated, just me being ignorant (but hopefully not much longer ...).

Has anyone got a clue?

TIA
peter
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
How are the source and target language organized in the XML? Dec 21, 2010

In fact this is not really your task, as the customer should provide you a clear instruction, but...
What does appear when you open the file in TagEditor with the ini file you created?

Peter Adolph
Peter Adolph
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
--> --> --> --> <labellanguage ... Dec 21, 2010

This is what I see when opening up the .xml file in TE:

... and so on. I am not able to open up any segments (the value "Antal deltagere" would need to be translated) ... everything inside the '' is placed in a tag.

Source language is Danish, and new target language is Swedish.

The client is a beginner within localisation/translation of their software, just like I am in general. They sent
... See more
This is what I see when opening up the .xml file in TE:

... and so on. I am not able to open up any segments (the value "Antal deltagere" would need to be translated) ... everything inside the '' is placed in a tag.

Source language is Danish, and new target language is Swedish.

The client is a beginner within localisation/translation of their software, just like I am in general. They sent the .xsd file which I used to create an .ini-file within TE, but how do I then get on from there?

Does this help?

/peter
Collapse

Peter Adolph
Peter Adolph
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... the copy/paste didn't work ... Dec 21, 2010

sorry, the copy/paste didn't work for some reason (despite being shown on my screen before submitting ...).

Trying again in a different way ...

Peter Adolph
Peter Adolph
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Dec 21, 2010

!!!!!!
!!!!!!
!!!
!!! !!!
!!! !!!
!!! !!!

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use entities Dec 21, 2010

You cant use > and < signs in forum, but must write them & gt ; for > and & lt ; for < instead (without spaces obviously).

So what you now need is as far as I can see to define the tags properly.
The only part visible shall remain the language which is to be replaced by Swedish.

Can you send me the files? info at czopik dot com

[Edited at 2010-12-21 20:11 GMT]

Peter Adolph
Peter Adolph
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
this is what I see (transcribed) Dec 21, 2010

PiccoloLanguage
Term Name="MeetingNumberOfParticipants"
Label Language="DK" Value="Antal deltagere"/
Label Language="UK" Value="No. of participants"/

... and so on.

I've deleted the usual '' signs.

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
Did you make the "value" attribute translatable? Dec 22, 2010

Is the Value attribute listed as translatable attribute in the Elements tab of the Tag Settings dialog box, when you double-click your custom .ini file and select the Label element? If not, you'll have to make it translatable.

Olaf

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Problem with Value Dec 22, 2010

In this very case it makes no problem to make the text accessible (the attribute "value" is declared as traslatable), but this brings BOTH languages up.
What I've done was changing the language tag for the language which shall remain untranslated to xLabel and declared that tag untranslatable. As far I could check that worked.

Achim Herrmann
Achim Herrmann
English to German
Tools supporting multilingual XML Feb 7, 2011

Hello,

there are tools like SDL Passolo that are supporting multilingual XML files very easily. From what I have seen I assume that

Label Language="DK" Value="Antal deltagere"
Label Language="UK" Value="No. of participants"

appears in some XML content. A mutlilingual XML parsing rules will be able to extract the elements with attribute Language="UK" content only and to automatically align the "DK" conten
... See more
Hello,

there are tools like SDL Passolo that are supporting multilingual XML files very easily. From what I have seen I assume that

Label Language="DK" Value="Antal deltagere"
Label Language="UK" Value="No. of participants"

appears in some XML content. A mutlilingual XML parsing rules will be able to extract the elements with attribute Language="UK" content only and to automatically align the "DK" content. When new languages will be added a new element wil be inserted into the file.

So all discussed conversions and manual work will be obsolete.

Best regards
Achim Herrmann
SDL Passolo Business Consultant
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I translate an .xml file using an .xsd file?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »