正式会员 (自2006)
English英语译成Afrikaans南非语
+ ...
WFP license period Jul 7, 2010

Kristyna Marrero wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
WFC: price includes 3 year license for both WFC and WFP
WFP: price includes 3 year license for both WFC and WFP

Actually, this is not the case. Since WFP is based on an installed license file, the license actually expires after the 3 year period, regardless of whether your install number changes.

Are you saying that the following information, on the WF site itself, is incorrect?

http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=faqbuying&lang=engb#02
If I buy, how long will I be able to use Wordfast?
A Wordfast license is valid as long as the "Install" number displayed by Wordfast does not change. This install number is based upon physical characteristics of your computer. This Install number can change if you change computer, change or format hard disk (PC) or change OS or Word version (Mac). In this case, you will need to re-license Wordfast. This re-licensing is free for three years from the date of purchase. See the Wordfast User License Agreement for more information. After three years, you can continue using Wordfast as long as your Install number does not change.

Kristyna Marrero
Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
美国
Local time: 11:22
WF Licensing Jul 7, 2010

Hi Samuel,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. That information was based specifically on Wordfast Classic and did not take Wordfast Pro into account. We have updated it to say the following -

Although there is a three-year free relicensing period for both products, there is a slight difference between WF Pro and Classic:
A Wordfast Classic license is valid as long as the "Install" number displayed by Wordfast Classic does not change. This install numb
... See more
Hi Samuel,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. That information was based specifically on Wordfast Classic and did not take Wordfast Pro into account. We have updated it to say the following -

Although there is a three-year free relicensing period for both products, there is a slight difference between WF Pro and Classic:
A Wordfast Classic license is valid as long as the "Install" number displayed by Wordfast Classic does not change. This install number is based upon physical characteristics of your computer. This Install number can change if you change computer, change or format hard disk (PC) or change OS or Word version (Mac). In this case, you will need to re-license Wordfast. This re-licensing is free for three years from the date of purchase. After three years, you can continue using Wordfast as long as your Install number does not change.
A Wordfast Pro license lasts three years. After that period, the license must be renewed.

Sincerely,

Kristyna
Collapse

Yuko Kubo
Yuko Kubo
日本
Local time: 00:22
正式会员 (自2008)
English英语译成Japanese日语
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Which shoud I purchase? Jul 11, 2010

Hi Kristyna,

Can you answer my very simple question?
Which do you recommend to a freelancer using only Mac, Classic or Pro?

My agency requested to install Pro 2.x.x. as saying they need remote TM server, not the Macro version for MS Word.

If I need to provide unclean and clean files to another agent, do I need another license for Classic (paying double)?

Having read all your comments, I still do not understand why there are two different
... See more
Hi Kristyna,

My agency requested to install Pro 2.x.x. as saying they need remote TM server, not the Macro version for MS Word.

If I need to provide unclean and clean files to another agent, do I need another license for Classic (paying double)?

Having read all your comments, I still do not understand why there are two different products in the first place...

Thank you for your advice in advance!

Scallions
Collapse

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
波兰
Local time: 17:22
English英语译成Polish波兰语
+ ...
one license... Jul 12, 2010

scallions wrote:

Having read all your comments, I still do not understand why there are two different products in the first place...

You don't pay double. You can license one and use both.

Jean-Louis S.
Jean-Louis S.  Identity Verified
美国
English英语译成French法语
+ ...
Wordfast classic will not work for Word 2008 Jul 12, 2010

scallions wrote:

Hi Kristyna,

Scallions

Be aware of this if you are using Word 2008.
http://www.wordfast.com/support_platforms.html

Kristyna Marrero
美国
Using WFC or WFP depends on a few factors.... Jul 13, 2010

scallions wrote:

Hi Kristyna,

This depends on a few factors:
- Personal preference. Do you prefer to work inside of MS Word or in a standalone environment?

- Required Deliverable. If your client requires a translated TXML file as the deliverable, you will need to use Wordfast Pro. If they require that you return bilingual (unclean) files, then you will need to use Wordfast Classic.

-File formats. If you are translating file formats such as html, xml, inx, mif, ttx, etc. we recommend that Wordfast Pro be used. Handling such tagged file formats using Wordfast Classic is for experts only .

-Batch processing. If you have the need to analyze, pretranslate, and cleanup large batches of files at once, Wordfast Pro provides a basic freelance level of batch processing - up to 20 files simultaneously. (To remove this 20 file limitation, users can upgrade to Wordfast Pro plus.)

Also, since you are using a Mac, it's important to note what jlsjr has indicated below. Wordfast Classic will not run on Mac Word 2008. If you are running Word 2008 on your Mac, you need to use Wordfast Pro since it does not require MS Word to run. Note for Mac users: Wordfast Classic WILL run on the next version of Word for Mac (Word 2011) which is currently in beta and should be released later this year.

scallions wrote:

As mentioned above, our original TM tool, Wordfast Classic, is an MS Word-based application. We recognized the necessity and the benefits that TM customers would experience when working in a standalone environment (outside of the MS Word interface) and wanted to give our users the option to do so. Therefore, in 2008, we released Wordfast Pro. It is important to realize that you do not need to choose between Wordfast Classic and Wordfast Pro. As a license holder, you get both and you can use them interchangeably based on the factors above.

Hope this helps,

Kristyna

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
波兰
English英语译成Polish波兰语
+ ...
main thing Jul 13, 2010

To me, PRO is more convenient in nearly every way, perhaps because I haven't been using CAT tools for that long, so I have no pre-conceived notions or habits from Word-based tools.

Pretty much the only reason I use Classic is to produce unclean bilingual .rtf/.doc files. Other than that, I'd only keep it to have the TM merging/compacting functions handy.

Yuko Kubo
Yuko Kubo
日本
Local time: 00:22
正式会员 (自2008)
English英语译成Japanese日语
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
It would be nice to be friendlier... Jul 13, 2010

Thank you Krzysztof and jlsji for your input.

Kristyna, if you allow a license holder to use both Pro and Classic, I suggest you tell so clearly on your site. I don't know other people but I assume your products listed under 'products' page are sold separately - which is common to regular items. There are many potential users who may not have used or familiar with TM/CAT, so be friendly to new comers in order to increase your share!

Having said that, I just purchase
... See more
Thank you Krzysztof and jlsji for your input.

Kristyna, if you allow a license holder to use both Pro and Classic, I suggest you tell so clearly on your site. I don't know other people but I assume your products listed under 'products' page are sold separately - which is common to regular items. There are many potential users who may not have used or familiar with TM/CAT, so be friendly to new comers in order to increase your share!

Having said that, I just purchased "one" license! Thanks for your explanation.

scallions

[Edited at 2010-07-13 22:42 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
荷兰
正式会员 (自2006)
English英语译成Afrikaans南非语
+ ...
Yes, the WF site is very unclear Jul 13, 2010

scallions wrote:
Kristyna, if you allow a license holder to use both Pro and Classic, I suggest you tell so clearer on your site.

Yes, the WF site is rather confusing. I know that WF tries to promote the term "Wordfast Translation Suite" but it doesn't work.

Take for example the menu Products > Download. Here you can download WFC, but not WFP. And if you click on the Buy menu item, you get the message:

The Wordfast Translation Studio store
..where you can purchase:
- Wordfast Professional (a comprehensive stand-alone java localization suite)
- Wordfast Classic (an Ms-Word add-on translation tool)

... in other words, you can buy two products.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:22
正式会员 (自2006)
English英语译成Russian俄语
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Splitting some hairs¿ Jul 14, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

Samuel, this is absolutely incorrect. You can buy licenses for the two products, but you can’t buy them. They are proprietary software.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
荷兰
正式会员 (自2006)
English英语译成Afrikaans南非语
+ ...
Splitting hairs Jul 14, 2010

esperantisto wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:

Samuel, this is absolutely incorrect. You can buy licenses for the two products, but you can’t buy them. They are proprietary software.

You're right, but that's the way we talk. So it's splitting hairs.

When we buy books, we basically pay for the license to read the story. We don't buy the story. We say "we buy a book" but the book itself (without the story in it) isn't really worth buying, is it? So although we say "we buy a book" or "we buy XYZ story by ABC author", what we're really buying is a license to read it. The same with software -- we say "we buy software" but what we're really buying is a license to use the software.

The same applies when you buy (or freely get) opensource software. You don't own the software -- you merely own a license to use it.

Kristyna Marrero
美国
clarification Jul 14, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

Yes, the WF site is rather confusing. I know that WF tries to promote the term "Wordfast Translation Suite" but it doesn't work.

The Wordfast Translation Studio store
..where you can purchase:
- Wordfast Professional (a comprehensive stand-alone java localization suite)
- Wordfast Classic (an Ms-Word add-on translation tool)

Hi Samuel,

Thanks for your feedback. The buy page specifically states:

"One same unique purchase allows you to license both Wordfast Classic and/or Wordfast Professional (those two products are not sold separately). You can start using both immediately after payment, or use one immediately, and install the other at any time during the 3-year license validity period."

In an effort to make this even clearer, we have updated the site to also say -

"The Wordfast Translation Studio store
..where you can purchase a Wordfast Translation Studio license which consists of BOTH:
- Wordfast Professional (a comprehensive standalone java-based translation tool)
- Wordfast Classic (an MS Word add-on translation tool)"

Hopefully there is no more confusion.

Thanks again,

Kristyna

lestertrad
lestertrad
French法语译成English英语
+ ...
Why can't I buy Wordfast Classic only? Sep 7, 2010

As of today (7 September 2010), the most recent available version of Wordfast Classic is dated May 2009. This would seem to indicate that development of Wordfast Classic is NOT ongoing.

I have been using the trial version of Wordfast Classic and would be ready to buy it even were it not going to be developed further - as indeed seems to be the case. What I object to is being forced to buy Wordfast Pro in order to get Wordfast Classic. I can't help feeling that I am being forced to s
... See more
As of today (7 September 2010), the most recent available version of Wordfast Classic is dated May 2009. This would seem to indicate that development of Wordfast Classic is NOT ongoing.

I have been using the trial version of Wordfast Classic and would be ready to buy it even were it not going to be developed further - as indeed seems to be the case. What I object to is being forced to buy Wordfast Pro in order to get Wordfast Classic. I can't help feeling that I am being forced to support the development of the former while the latter sits abandoned.

The gist of this discussion seems to be that the two have different target markets - two different profiles of user. Why, then, force me to pay for both?
Collapse

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
法国
French法语译成Dutch荷兰语
+ ...
This is not quite correct Sep 7, 2010

The latest version, 5.91i, is of August 2010.
http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=history&lang=engb

But there are no major modifications because it is a complete tool, without glitches. It seems however that sometimes some small adjustments are made.
In fact WF Classic 4 was already quite good.

As for your other question: you bu
... See more
The latest version, 5.91i, is of August 2010.
http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=history&lang=engb

But there are no major modifications because it is a complete tool, without glitches. It seems however that sometimes some small adjustments are made.
In fact WF Classic 4 was already quite good.

As for your other question: you buy one of them, and the other one is a gift. So you that can use both for the same price, depending of your preferences or of your needs of that moment. I use both, Classic for Word files and Pro for all other file formats. If you only translate Word files, you can stay with WF Classic.
Collapse

Kristyna Marrero
美国
Wordfast Classic continues to be developed and supported Sep 7, 2010

Hi Lester,

As a point of clarification, Wordfast Classic is NOT being abandoned at all. In fact, we will continue to support and develop Wordfast Classic for as long as MS Word continues to support visual basic.

Wordfast Pro was developed because we recognized the benefits that can be reaped working outside of the MS Word environment, and we wanted to give Wordfast Classic users the option to do so. Therefore, a license gives you access to both tools and they can be u
... See more
Hi Lester,

As a point of clarification, Wordfast Classic is NOT being abandoned at all. In fact, we will continue to support and develop Wordfast Classic for as long as MS Word continues to support visual basic.

Wordfast Pro was developed because we recognized the benefits that can be reaped working outside of the MS Word environment, and we wanted to give Wordfast Classic users the option to do so. Therefore, a license gives you access to both tools and they can be used interchangably based on your project needs and personal preference.

Sincerely,

Kristyna
Collapse

话题中的页数:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WordFast Classic vs. WordFast Pro

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »