Thread poster: Jiaying Ma
Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:32
Japanese to English
+ ...
Certification of Document Feb 27, 2022

Most of my clients are law firms. They mandate that the translator certify the translation. I was once asked by a Chinese agency to check a translation and then certify it. I refused. It was difficult to get them to understand that the real work was carried out by the translator. They relented but I never heard from them again. Don't compromise your principles.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:32
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
New URL, and belated reply Feb 27, 2022

Jiaying Ma wrote:
"If a translation is subject to revision or checking by another translator, the revision is returned to the original translator for approval and finalisation. "
https://ausit.org//AUSIT/Documents/Code_Of_Ethics_Full.pdf

The new URL is: https://ausit.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Code_Of_Ethics_Full.pdf

The full quote is: "If a translation is subject to revision or checking by another translator, the revision is returned to the original translator for approval and finalisation. If changes are made to the translated text after delivery to the client without the translator's agreement and knowledge, the translator is no longer responsible for the translated text."

I interpret this to mean that it is not unethical for a translator to adapt (e.g. review) the translation of another translator without that translator's knowledge or consent, as long as the client is aware that he can no longer hold the translator responsible for the quality of the translation.

Jiaying Ma wrote:
Recently, two agencies asked me if I can review and certify documents translated by someone else.

First, check if any of the translator associations that you belong to have any rules about this.

Second, check if it would be legal for you to do this. In many countries, it is not legal for translators to certify a translation if they were not the translator of that translation, even if they fully agree with the translation.

Also carefully check the wording of the certification stamp that you affix to the translation. If it says e.g. "I, the translator, hereby certify..." then only the original translator of that text can certify it with that stamp. But if it says e.g. "I, [your name], hereby certify..." then there may be an opening for this sort of practice because you're not certifying that you're the translator.

[Edited at 2022-02-27 12:49 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Anna Herbst[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

agencies asking a checker to certify a document

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »