Thread poster: Esteban Flamini
Esteban Flamini
Esteban Flamini  Identity Verified
Greece
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 2, 2005

Hi

Is there any easy way to create alignment projects in Transit XV when the source and the translation are in different formats?

Note that if source and translation are in OLE-enabled files, you can embed them in Word files (see the thread on Importing files of different formats).

But with DTP-formats (Indesign, Quark) this cannot be done (AFAIK). And usually this files are translated to Word files, as many translators do not have DTP software and/or exper
... See more
Hi

Is there any easy way to create alignment projects in Transit XV when the source and the translation are in different formats?

Note that if source and translation are in OLE-enabled files, you can embed them in Word files (see the thread on Importing files of different formats).

But with DTP-formats (Indesign, Quark) this cannot be done (AFAIK). And usually this files are translated to Word files, as many translators do not have DTP software and/or expertise.
Collapse

Esteban Flamini
Esteban Flamini  Identity Verified
Greece
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Aligning different formats: a workaround Mar 3, 2005

Esteban Flamini wrote:

I have found a technique that can be useful. (Note: if both formats support OLE, refer to the Importing different types... thread, elsewhere in this forum).

When creating the alignment project, select as File Type the one corresponding to the source files. Now, add all files for the alignment, irrespective of their format (use *.* in the Select Project Files dialog).

After assigning files, go on and import. Source files will be
imported fine, but target files will not (as they are in a "wrong" format). Depending on the file format, Transit might abort the import of target files outright, or it might "freeze" (the upper Progress bar will remain stuck at 50%); in the second case, just Cancel import.

Now, return to the Import dialog and click on More; under Options, check the Rebuild target language files... checkbox. Make sure that the Rebuild SOURCE... checkbox is UNCHECKED. Click on Project Settings and select the file type corresponding to your target files; click OK to return to the Import dialog, and import again. This time, Transit will retry to import target files, while leaving the source files alone.

If everything goes smoothly, now you hace both source and target for your alignment. Depending on the formats you have imported, it is likely that tags will be in different "languages", in which case I think there is no much use in keeping tags in your alignment project; I'd rather remove all tags and keep just the textual information (the tags themselves are no essential as reference material, IMHO). This can be done by removing all protection both in source and in target file, and deleting all text WITHIN tags ONLY (you might need some proficiency with regular expressions and Transit's editing techniques, as well as some knowledge of the file formats involved).

Now, when I've tried to do this global Find & Replace, Transit crashed. I don't know, but I guess the problem is I was trying to do an alignment in which one of the formats was imported through a File Type definition I wrote myself (I might have made a mistake in the definition). In any case, I've found that for this kind of replacement, besides unprotecting source and tags, it's best to uncheck the Synchronize Windows option (and maybe also Word Wrap, Colors for Segment Type, Segments As List, and Each Segment in New Line). Do some trial & error to find what is your mileage.

Hope it helps.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transit: aligning different formats

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »