Thread poster: Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:33
German to English
+ ...
Aug 30, 2022

I don't know if anyone else has had this (and it's probably nothing restricted to the 2022 version), but I'm working with Studio 2022 on projects on a network folder (X:) and my projects keep disappearing.

I don't have any problem when I'm in the office, but when I work remotely (I access the work servers via a VPN tunnel which is actually very reliable) and Studio doesn't find the path immediately (for whatever reason), instead of displaying a message to that effect (i.e. Error: P
... See more
I don't know if anyone else has had this (and it's probably nothing restricted to the 2022 version), but I'm working with Studio 2022 on projects on a network folder (X:) and my projects keep disappearing.

I don't have any problem when I'm in the office, but when I work remotely (I access the work servers via a VPN tunnel which is actually very reliable) and Studio doesn't find the path immediately (for whatever reason), instead of displaying a message to that effect (i.e. Error: Path not found) like it does, for example, when it can't find a termbase or TM, it simply deletes all the projects from the project list.

Obviously, the projects themselves are not deleted, but then I have to wade through endless directories to find them again and re-add them to my list. Is there any way to stop Studio from deleting items from the project list?
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:33
English to Russian
Probably VPN is the culprit Aug 30, 2022

When you use VPN, it provides a connection between you and your remote resources. For example, when you upload a file and disconnect from your VPN, the upload will stop immediately. The same happens to your remote location. When you disconnect from the VPN, the tunnel you mentioned above no longer exists and the path to the remote location gets lost.

Nick Quaintmere
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not VPN Sep 1, 2022

Thanks for your input Stepan, but that's not really the answer to my question. You're just restating the problem.

I know why the path is sometimes not found, what I don't know is why Studio deletes entries for projects that it temporarily cannot locate. And if there is any way to stop this.

[Edited at 2022-09-01 09:10 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
This sounds Sep 1, 2022

This sounds like a problem that the official forums might be better suited to answer:
https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/

In the mean time, you'd have to create shortcuts on e.g. the Desktop (or in the root of the V: folder) that you can click to quickly jump to the main projects folder, and then double-click the project's SDLPROJ file a
... See more
This sounds like a problem that the official forums might be better suited to answer:
https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/

In the mean time, you'd have to create shortcuts on e.g. the Desktop (or in the root of the V: folder) that you can click to quickly jump to the main projects folder, and then double-click the project's SDLPROJ file again. It saves a few steps but doesn't really solve your problem.

If you know that you're going to work remotely and you know which project you're going to work on, you can also create a shortcut on the Desktop or in the root of the V: folder that points to the SDLPROJ file itself.

Nick Quaintmere wrote:
What I don't know is why Studio deletes entries for projects that it temporarily cannot locate. And if there is any way to stop this.

No, apparently not. I tested it and you're right: as soon as I remove or rename a project, it disappears from the list. This is in contrast to e.g. Wordfast Pro 7, where the project remains in the list but is simply greyed out.

I tried finding a workaround by making a backup of the projects.xml file (which is usually in C:\Users\My User Name\Documents\Studio 2022\Projects, regardless of where you actually store your projects) but there is no way to reload the projects.xml file while Trados is running. Making a backup of it can be useful, I suppose (you can probably set up a BAT file that makes a copy of it whenever you restart the computer), but you can only restore a backed up version while Trados is not running.
Collapse

Nick Quaintmere

Nick Quaintmere
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great idea! Sep 1, 2022

I think I'll do that, Sam! Great suggestion. I've just moved into a new job and my predecessor(s) left me with a pretty chaotic folder structure - so a shortcut is probably VERY useful!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2022 "deleting" project list for network files

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »