Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: To how many countries have you traveled?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:02
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Given up flying too for a different reason Aug 13, 2021

I have also given up flying, unless there is no option, for a different reason. This is because I refuse to pay luggage fees and to pay for water. You can't take water with you because of the fluids rule. In the good old days, it was free (except for excess baggage) and in the very good very old days airlines like Varig even served caviar on board, FREE.
I would have to fly to Europe though. Intercontinental cruises are only once a year so I would still have to fly back. (What happens is t
... See more
I have also given up flying, unless there is no option, for a different reason. This is because I refuse to pay luggage fees and to pay for water. You can't take water with you because of the fluids rule. In the good old days, it was free (except for excess baggage) and in the very good very old days airlines like Varig even served caviar on board, FREE.
I would have to fly to Europe though. Intercontinental cruises are only once a year so I would still have to fly back. (What happens is that at the end of the cruise season the companies like MSC offer a once-yearly cruise from Santos to Genoa, so the same ships can be then used for Adriatic and Mediterranean cruises).
My usual route by air is GRU/FRA/BHX.
Collapse

June Wang
June Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 17:02
Member (2021)
English to Chinese
+ ...
No travel at all since the pandemic outbreak Aug 14, 2021

Not even travel out of the city I am living in, let alone to any country. Hopefully, it won't take long to resume to normal.

Josephine Cassar

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:02
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Still waiting Aug 14, 2021

Rachel Waddington wrote:

I gave up flying some years ago when I became aware of how harmful it is for the environment. Since then, I have stayed close to home. If I can't get there by train I just don't go.

Still, I have had some wonderful experiences getting to know my own country and its near neighbours. You don't have to travel to the other side of the world to broaden your horizons.

Still waiting and hoping for a direct train (no changing at Paris) from London to Florence.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not many not too far away... Aug 15, 2021

Spain, Morocco and Egypt... and Portugal (Ilha da Madeira).

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 05:02
Romanian to English
+ ...
different approach Aug 15, 2021

Last year, 2020, during the full blown pandemic, I flew 48 times within the US.

This week I just returned from a six weeks vacation spent in Spain, France, UK, Germany and Austria. A little overwhelming with all the paperwork required by each country (test for the UK, France, Germany, Austria and return to the US, proof of vaccination in Spain). I liked the fact that some museums or places of tourist interest required proof of vaccination (Guggenheim in Bilbao, Mozart Geburtshaus in
... See more

This week I just returned from a six weeks vacation spent in Spain, France, UK, Germany and Austria. A little overwhelming with all the paperwork required by each country (test for the UK, France, Germany, Austria and return to the US, proof of vaccination in Spain). I liked the fact that some museums or places of tourist interest required proof of vaccination (Guggenheim in Bilbao, Mozart Geburtshaus in Salzburg).

Just get vaccinated, wear mask and use your common sense.

Lee
Collapse

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 12:02
English to Turkish
a 6 week holiday Aug 21, 2021

Liviu-Lee Roth wrote:

This week I just returned from a six weeks vacation spent in Spain, France, UK, Germany and Austria. A little overwhelming with all the paperwork required by each country (test for the UK, France, Germany, Austria and return to the US, proof of vaccination in Spain). I liked the fact that some museums or places of tourist interest required proof of vaccination (Guggenheim in Bilbao, Mozart Geburtshaus in Salzburg).

Lee

I guess your clients didn't contact you during that time for jobs or you didn't have to worry about losing them?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
127 Aug 21, 2021

Q "To how many countries have you travelled?"
A. 127.

Next pointless question?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
CO2 Aug 21, 2021

Liviu-Lee Roth wrote:

Lee

That's quite a carbon footprint. I hope your flights were essential.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I hate airports Aug 21, 2021

I like flying but I hate airports. To me they are the most horrible places in the world. So I have given up flying.

LIZ LI

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
to my surprise Aug 21, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

I like flying but I hate airports. To me they are the most horrible places in the world. So I have given up flying.

Heathrow (LHR) at 7:30 AM was empty.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
You are right! Aug 21, 2021

Baran Keki wrote:

Liviu-Lee Roth wrote:

Lee

I guess your clients didn't contact you during that time for jobs or you didn't have to worry about losing them?

During this extended vacation I took only four urgent projects. Not afraid of losing them. I my case, since I am retired, they lose me, not the other way around.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
with or without me, the planes would have flown anyway Aug 21, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

Liviu-Lee Roth wrote:

Lee

That's quite a carbon footprint. I hope your flights were essential.

Not feeling any guilt.

Kristina Love
Kristina Love  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Six Aug 21, 2021

I took a couple of day trips to Canada when I lived near the border. (I'm in the U.S.)

England, Ecuador, Spain, Portugal, France, England again! I wish other countries were not so dad-blatted far away from me! If I lived in the Old World I would have bee-bopped around to about 25 of them by now.

Frederic INTERPRETING
Frederic INTERPRETING
Member (2018)
Spanish to French
+ ...
8 countries Aug 21, 2021

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "To how many countries have you traveled?".

View the poll results »

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: To how many countries have you traveled?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »