Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Where do you usually work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 8, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Where do you usually work?".

View the poll results »

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:11
German to English
+ ...
In another room ... Jan 8, 2014

Currently the dining room, occasionally the living room (especially when it's cold and the fire in there is enticing) and sometimes I commandeer my husband's office when he's out and about.

I only need a laptop so my work is a movable feast.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:11
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
A separate office in my home Jan 8, 2014

One of the bedrooms serves as an office. It has two desks and two desktop computers; it's lined with bookcases on 3 walls; and everything below the level of the work surfaces is file space.

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
Other Jan 8, 2014

I live in a studio, so there is no "another room", unless we count the bathroom I just work in the room at home.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:11
Member (2006)
German to English
Question Jan 8, 2014

Is this the poll of criminals wanting to know where we are during the day?

If this was not "another" anonymous post then I would have answered!

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
A dedicated corner in my living room, or... Jan 8, 2014

my garden.
I spent a bit of time making custom garden furniture and placing shrubs in the right place last summer to allow a comfortable typing position with minimum reflection on my screen. I can't wait to get the matching weather to make full use of it.

Antonio Contreras
Antonio Contreras  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Living room - specific area Jan 8, 2014

I work in a separate area in my living room. It is a very sunny place with direct light (no need for artificial light at all) and with great views over the mountains (Sierra Nevada). I have a laptop and therefore I change location from time to time. It works for me like that.

A happy digital nomad J

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Combination of places Jan 8, 2014

Mostly in my very small office at home but sometimes, depending on the project, I'll take the laptop and sit in the living room.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Paranoia Jan 8, 2014

Michael Harris wrote:

Is this the poll of criminals wanting to know where we are during the day?

If this was not "another" anonymous post then I would have answered!

When I was a professional cat burglar I actually used to find checking for lights or knocking on the front door was a better way of telling whether people were in.

On the other hand, I know for a fact that my former colleagues at the NSA *will* be listening in. Hi guys!

I suppose I should work in a nuclear shelter ten metres underground on a small private island defended by a mine field and multiple anti-aircraft batteries, to protect those files that I so irresponsibly hoard on my hard disk. But I don't. I am stroking a white cat and looking sinister, though.

Vincenzo Di Maso
Vincenzo Di Maso  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
sort of office in my homes Jan 8, 2014

I currently live between 3 houses (power of being a translator!) as I split myself between 2 countries and 3 houses. I have dedicated rooms with nice desktops (nice, but not actually tidy!) where I use to do my translation jobs.
According to the house I live, of course my spouse, my parents or my nephews can enter Doors are open as long as they don't bother me!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jan 8, 2014

Er, you walk through the door into my house and you're in my living room. I usually work in my "main office space" in the far right-hand corner next to the window. It's all open-plan and the kitchen is in the left hand corner, so, for example, I can keep an eye on simmering cooking pots while working. I also have another work station in the spare room with a PC primed and ready to take over if the main PC is unavailable. It's all very cosy and the weather today is more spring than winter...

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In an office in my homes Jan 8, 2014

a tiny office in my home in Lisbon and a large one in my home in Brussels. Just like Vincenzo I split myself between 2 countries...

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 15:11
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
My den "OFF LIMITS" Jan 8, 2014

My own room, study, workshop, SOHO (Small Office Home Office) -- whatever you want to call -- stacked with all the hardware and goodies you'd find in any office all networked via a LAN.

I can do whatever I like and no one knows what's going on down here. The best thing is that no one in the neighbourhood knows that this office actually exists, which is just perfect for avoiding the prying gaze of nosey busybodies.

It's also almost completely surrounded by 1-foot thick r
... See more
My own room, study, workshop, SOHO (Small Office Home Office) -- whatever you want to call -- stacked with all the hardware and goodies you'd find in any office all networked via a LAN.

I can do whatever I like and no one knows what's going on down here. The best thing is that no one in the neighbourhood knows that this office actually exists, which is just perfect for avoiding the prying gaze of nosey busybodies.

It's also almost completely surrounded by 1-foot thick reinforced concrete which might come in handy in the event of a major earthquake or if one of North Korea's test missile lauches veers off course and lands in Kyoto.

@Mario (if you post later on)
Are you going to show us a walkaround of your lovely office?
Collapse

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Office a.k.a. spare bedroom Jan 8, 2014

A dedicated room for work means a physical separation of work and play. This way I find it more difficult to stop working and relax during lunch time, before and after work. When I close the door, the evening/weekend has started.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
Live, work and sleep in a studio Jan 8, 2014

M. Anna Kańduła wrote:

I live in a studio, so there is no "another room", unless we count the bathroom I just work in the room at home.

That reminds me of previous living arrangements I've had. Sometimes one cannot have a 100% physically separate home office.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Where do you usually work?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »