Pages sur ce sujet:   < [1 2]
Poll: How many times do you usually proofread your translations?
Auteur du fil: ProZ.com Staff
Tai Fu
Tai Fu  Identity Verified
États-Unis
Local time: 03:12
anglais vers chinois
+ ...
not nearly enough times Jul 23, 2010

I have learned from my first job that you can never proofread enough time. It is extra work but an unhappy client costs more in lack of future jobs than the extra time you took to proofread your work. I translate, then proofread it a bit, my editor proofreads and edits it if necessary, then I proofread it again.

Nicole Winking
Nicole Winking  Identity Verified
Australie
Local time: 20:12
anglais vers allemand
2 - 3 times Jul 23, 2010

This is a fantastic poll - thanks for suggesting!

I would love to proofread everything 3 times or more but sometimes there is just not enough time. Deadlines are usually very tight and I only work for agencies, not for direct clients ... of course I do not know if they really proofread my work even if they say they do.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
États-Unis
Local time: 03:12
Membre (2003)
espagnol vers anglais
+ ...
At least twice Jul 23, 2010

Sometimes more, depending on the text.

I agree that the screen is not the same as hard copy. It's a little better nowadays, with computer screens simulating what you see on paper, but back in the really old days, with black screens and white letters (anyone remember those?) people were much more careless than they would be on paper.

Mike (de Oliveira) Brady
Mike (de Oliveira) Brady  Identity Verified
Royaume-Uni
Membre (2008)
portugais vers anglais
+ ...
Edit and proofread Jul 23, 2010

I do my first translation, in Wordfast, as I go through the document for the first time, not worrying too much if some parts are unclear. Those often become clearer as I go through.

Then I go back over my translation in Wordfast to improve the style and make it consistent. I'd call this editing or reviewing, rather than proofreading. Once completed, I spell check.

Next I save the translated file and read through this, making changes back in the version open in Wordfast
... See more
I do my first translation, in Wordfast, as I go through the document for the first time, not worrying too much if some parts are unclear. Those often become clearer as I go through.

Then I go back over my translation in Wordfast to improve the style and make it consistent. I'd call this editing or reviewing, rather than proofreading. Once completed, I spell check.

Next I save the translated file and read through this, making changes back in the version open in Wordfast if necessary. The main issue here will be making sure paragraphs flow nicely. This is my first proofread. Once completed, I update my Translation Memory.

Finally, I save the translated file once more, read through this and conduct a final spell check. This is my second proofread and normally there will be little that needs correcting at this stage. If there have been some significant changes, I'll proofread a third time.
Collapse

Pages sur ce sujet:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Modérateur(s) de ce forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many times do you usually proofread your translations?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »