Wielka Brytania
Local time: 11:09
angielski
+ ...
I'm always wary of attachments in unsolicited e-mails Jul 26, 2011

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

Ildiko Weinberger wrote:

in other cases I decide not to respond because they send a file already attached to their request for quote, which I find very odd.

I wonder why you find it odd. In fact, I rarely give a quote without seeing the translatable materials, or at least a representative sample of it. If they don't attach the file, I have to request it, and it is additional time wasted.
So, I do not find it odd at all, I think exactly the opposite way, I find it odd to ask for a quote without providing the actual text.

Katalin

I understand the concern which Ildiko has. This is my personal opinion, but isn't it weird that they send you the document to be translated even before you don't know whether the translator would accept the job or not? A decent agency would not disclose any information, unless requested. Almost all decent clients I work for send me the file AFTER I request it so that I can take a look at them for evaluation. Maybe it's a waste of time like you said, but if you were to outsource a job to someone you have never met or talked (wrote) to, would you just attach the file and send it to that person? The only time I would do that is when the file to be translated is not confidential, such as for personal use.

Personally, I never open attachments from agencies/clients I've never worked for if they contact me out of the blue. I'd much rather receive a contact e-mail to which I can respond and ask for the source text, even if that does take a few minutes longer.

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Kanada
Local time: 06:09
Członek ProZ.com
od 2002

francuski > angielski
+ ...

Moderator tego forum
Please use the new Scams Forum Jul 26, 2011

As the topic starter has mentioned, ProZ.com has an entire section devoted to discussing scams. This Forum is the Lighter Side of T&I, i.e., the funny, whimsical aspects of our trade. I will now lock this topic and invite you to discuss the very important issue of scams in its more appropriate, serious Forum.

Best regards to all,

Nancy

Stron w wątku:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Funny (or sad?) spam received

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »