Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Does ProZ.com award points for asking questions in KudoZ too?
Thread poster: tilak raj
tilak raj
tilak raj  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 21:43
Member (2012)
English to Punjabi
+ ...
Jul 6, 2013

Does Proz provides points for asking questions in kudoz too? Like we see people get points on answer and agree. Does proz provides same for asking questions?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2013-07-06 12:39 GMT]

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 18:13
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No Jul 6, 2013

The purpose of awarding KudoZ points is at least in part to 'reward' people for helping others; given the existing tendency for the points system to be abused by people submitting answers whose motivation sometimes seems to be more about earning KudoZ points than actually helping others, I hate to imagine the chaos we'd have if it was possible to earn points simply by asking questions!

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 01:13
Japanese to English
+ ...
Haha Jul 6, 2013

Tony M wrote:

The purpose of awarding KudoZ points is at least in part to 'reward' people for helping others; given the existing tendency for the points system to be abused by people submitting answers whose motivation sometimes seems to be more about earning KudoZ points than actually helping others, I hate to imagine the chaos we'd have if it was possible to earn points simply by asking questions!

Well said, sir.

Christophe Delaunay
Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
Haha (bis) Jul 6, 2013

Chaos is surely the right word!
But a good idea could be to remove points for basic stupid questions and nonsense answers...at least when they seem to be the rule for a given person!

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No the asker benefits in other ways Jul 6, 2013

No the asker does not get points for asking question.

His reward is that he get a number of solutions to his difficult translation situation from fellow translators. Often the responses from them is astonishingly quick, and it quite possible that if the site can monitor some of these responses, they would be found to have broken some well known speed limits such as the speed of light.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
haha (bis bis) Jul 6, 2013

If Askers also got 'rewarded' for posting, that would really make the 'value' of Kudoz pointz even more laughable than they currently are. Getting pointz for "pro" terms that can be found by opening any dictionary should not be allowed.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Shurely shome mishtake? Jul 6, 2013

I feel to understand how "answering questions in order to gain kudoz points" can be seen as a form of abuse. Surely the answer provider's motive is immaterial as long as the solution is valid and the askers get what they need?

For me, at any rate, the pointscoring aspect of kudoz makes it more fun, although it's not my only reason for chipping in.

tilak raj
India
Member (2012)
English to Punjabi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks To Mr. Bala, Tony M. and Neilmac Jul 6, 2013

Hi all Colleagues,

If some one want to know about it, I think there should not be laughter. This can discourage other to ask anything on proz like forum.

Ha ha, Bis Bis... what is this. This is not professionalism.

Please Don't do such words. I know you may have good experience and have good knowledge about PROZ but this does never mean that you have to make laughter of others.

so really salute those persons, who answered straightforwa
... See more
Hi all Colleagues,

If some one want to know about it, I think there should not be laughter. This can discourage other to ask anything on proz like forum.

Ha ha, Bis Bis... what is this. This is not professionalism.

Please Don't do such words. I know you may have good experience and have good knowledge about PROZ but this does never mean that you have to make laughter of others.

so really salute those persons, who answered straightforward, without any bad or fun reactions.
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
No one and no question is being laughed at Jul 6, 2013

Just the scramble for and obsession with gathering Kudoz points at every turn.

[Edited at 2013-07-06 11:18 GMT]

Randy CUI
Randy CUI  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 00:13
English to Chinese
+ ...
Agree with Christophe Jul 6, 2013

Christophe Delaunay wrote:

Chaos is surely the right word!
But a good idea could be to remove points for basic stupid questions and nonsense answers...at least when they seem to be the rule for a given person!

And I don't know why a "translator" asks a crop of basic questions, and how s/he managed to get her/his translation jobs. I venture that poz should limit the number of questions to be asked by one user during a certain period of time. I'm afraid some users are already abusing the system for personal gains.

[Edited at 2013-07-06 11:29 GMT]

Orrin Cummins
Japan
Japanese to English
+ ...
Check content of posts please first before criticizing Jul 6, 2013

I had a laugh at Tony M's description of the current KudoZ system, and I don't see any reason to apologize for that. If you felt offended by my post, I suggest re-reading it one more time to see what I quoted in it. It wasn't anything you wrote.

tilak raj
India
Member (2012)
English to Punjabi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am not saying personally I wrote what I saw in overall comments. Jul 6, 2013

I am not intending to ask for apologize. All are colleagues and everyone has right to say anything. You did, what was your intention, I can't say. But I have written what I have noticed. So please don't take it seriously.

[Edited at 2013-07-06 11:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-07-06 11:43 GMT]

Orrin Cummins
Japan
Japanese to English
+ ...
OK, I concede Jul 6, 2013

Sorry if I came off too rough...KudoZ is kind of a sore spot among many members of the site (either that or an amusing joke). You probably gathered that much from the responses to this thread.

Randy CUI
Randy CUI  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 00:13
English to Chinese
+ ...
No offense was intended Jul 6, 2013

Just my two cents.

Sorry if my post looks upsetting. But all posts seem to be targeted at the weakness in the setting of kudoZ Terminology, which some users have noticed.

Take the English-Chinese pair for example. A user asked 12 questions on July 3 alone, not all the terms are difficult, and the definitions and explanations of some are readily available in paperback dictionaries. Apparently he was doing a localization job, for he just pasted a website address into his
... See more
Just my two cents.

Sorry if my post looks upsetting. But all posts seem to be targeted at the weakness in the setting of kudoZ Terminology, which some users have noticed.

Take the English-Chinese pair for example. A user asked 12 questions on July 3 alone, not all the terms are difficult, and the definitions and explanations of some are readily available in paperback dictionaries. Apparently he was doing a localization job, for he just pasted a website address into his question, when the context of a term was required. We might rightly suspect that the asker is not competent enough for the job, or patient enough, just needing ready made answers.

By the way, it’s typical of posts to turn out off the topic in the end, on most online forums.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No, but it's a good idea Jul 6, 2013

tilak raj wrote:
Does Proz provide points for asking questions in KudoZ too?

No, but now that you mention it, it might be a good idea. I can think of three ways to implement it:

1. For languages that have very little KudoZ activity, giving points for asking questions might help to jump start the process in those languages. As soon as the KudoZ activity in those languages reach a certain level of strength, no more points are given for asking questions.

2. Or: to encourage newer members to participate in KudoZ, it may be an idea to give them 1 point per question for the first 100 (or so) questions that they ask.

3. Or: to encourage members to ask useful questions, how about having answerers rate the question's level of obviousness, and if a large majority of answerers rate a question as not having an obvious answer (i.e. one that the asker could have found in a dictionary), then the asker gets a point or two.

4. Or: to reward askers for having contributed to community contributions, how about giving points for questions that generate a lot of KudoZ activity (e.g. many discussion entries, or many answers, or many agrees/disagrees).

Samuel

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does ProZ.com award points for asking questions in KudoZ too?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »