Thread poster: tadan
tadan
tadan
Local time: 17:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 22, 2005

Hi amigos of the interpreting world!

I would like to ask you if you know what the current rates are for telephone interpreting for Spain (and from my home).
Thank you very much for your help which is much appreciated.
I also have another question, which I almost forgot to ask! Could anyone tell me their rates for proofreading and words per day you are able to proofread (on average). Thanks again.
tadan

Sybille Brückner
Sybille Brückner  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Telephone interpreting Feb 22, 2005

I recommend to take your rates for interpretation (hourly rates)
divided into pieces of, let's say 5-10 minutes. So presume you take 30 Euro for interpretation for one hour, 10 minutes would cost 30:6 = 5 Euro. And if you have to do it from your home phone, you have to add the rate the phone company will charge you.
When I do telephone interpeting I always include time to be briefed about the subject I have to interpret. )this time also has to be paid in the same way as described abo
... See more
divided into pieces of, let's say 5-10 minutes. So presume you take 30 Euro for interpretation for one hour, 10 minutes would cost 30:6 = 5 Euro. And if you have to do it from your home phone, you have to add the rate the phone company will charge you.
When I do telephone interpeting I always include time to be briefed about the subject I have to interpret. )this time also has to be paid in the same way as described above. Because if someone stands beside you saying what you should say to the phone partner, it is really better to know something about the subject around this.
Collapse

MdT
MdT  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:59
French to English
+ ...
telephone interpretation rates Feb 23, 2005

I believe that you should base your rates for telephone interpreting on the concepts of a minimum and the expected burden on your time. No matter how short the telephone time is expected to be, you should consider the time required to accept the assignment, wait for the call, perform the assignment, invoice the assignment, process the payment, and possible charges to your phone. You should also consider inconvenience to your daily schedule. Taking these factors into consideration, I could not ex... See more
I believe that you should base your rates for telephone interpreting on the concepts of a minimum and the expected burden on your time. No matter how short the telephone time is expected to be, you should consider the time required to accept the assignment, wait for the call, perform the assignment, invoice the assignment, process the payment, and possible charges to your phone. You should also consider inconvenience to your daily schedule. Taking these factors into consideration, I could not expect a charge of less than one full hour at your normal interpretation rate. If the scheduled call falls outside your normal business hours (like 3:00 am local), a hefty premium is very reasonable. It is also my experience that clients requesting telephone interpretation, if not already known or easily identifiable as a responsible party, probably deserve more than usual scrutiny.

Good luck, but be careful

Marc
Collapse

tadan
tadan
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Feb 23, 2005

Sybille wrote:

When I do telephone interpeting I always include time to be briefed about the subject I have to interpret. )this time also has to be paid in the same way as described above. Because if someone stands beside you saying what you should say to the phone partner, it is really better to know something about the subject around this.

Thank you for your help Sybille. I think this is a good way of working it out. I shall make a note of it.
Saludos,
tadan

tadan
tadan
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Telephone Interpreting Rates Feb 23, 2005

MdT wrote:

I believe that you should base your rates for telephone interpreting on the concepts of a minimum and the expected burden on your time. No matter how short the telephone time is expected to be, you should consider the time required to accept the assignment, wait for the call, perform the assignment, invoice the assignment, process the payment, and possible charges to your phone. You should also consider inconvenience to your daily schedule. Taking these factors into consideration, I could not expect a charge of less than one full hour at your normal interpretation rate. If the scheduled call falls outside your normal business hours (like 3:00 am local), a hefty premium is very reasonable. It is also my experience that clients requesting telephone interpretation, if not already known or easily identifiable as a responsible party, probably deserve more than usual scrutiny.

Good luck, but be careful

Marc

Thanks Marc. I guess like with all translation work one has to be careful, especially as you never really see the people who are employing you! Thanks again.
Saludos,
tadan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Telephone Interpreting Rates

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »