HELP! Outlook Express won't open PDF files!
Thread poster: Rebecca Holmes
Rebecca Holmes
Rebecca Holmes
United States
Local time: 07:20
German to English
Sep 15, 2003

I got a new computer over the weekend and had to reinstall all my software on it. So far so good - but I just went to open a PDF file from an e-mail (which I have to translate this afternoon) and Outlook Express won't open it. The e-mail has a Word file and a PDF file attached. The Word file is showing up in black letters and opens on it when I click it, but the PDF file is showing up in gray letters and nothing happens when I click on it.
I think this must be some setting in Outlook Expr
... See more
I got a new computer over the weekend and had to reinstall all my software on it. So far so good - but I just went to open a PDF file from an e-mail (which I have to translate this afternoon) and Outlook Express won't open it. The e-mail has a Word file and a PDF file attached. The Word file is showing up in black letters and opens on it when I click it, but the PDF file is showing up in gray letters and nothing happens when I click on it.
I think this must be some setting in Outlook Express but I have looked all over and can't find anything.
I don't think it is Norton Anti-Virus as I am not getting an virus related messages and ALL PDF files as e-mail attachments cannot be opened, not just this one.
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:20
English to German
+ ...
More details, please Sep 15, 2003

Hi Rebecca,
You didn't specify your operating system; with a new computer, it's probably WinXP.

Did you install Acrobat or Acrobat Reader? Is the file type .pdf properly associated with Acrobat? (In the German version of Win2k, this is done in the Explorer: Extras - Ordneroptionen - Dateitypen.)

HTH - Ralf

Valentina Pecchiar
Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Have you installed Acrobat Reader? Sep 15, 2003

First things first!
In the excitment of a new pet PC it's really easy to forget some basic step, I'm telling you out of experience!

I don't think the Reader comes with Windows. You can get a free copy from
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

HTH

Rebecca Holmes-Löffler wrote:

I think this must be some setting in Outlook Express but I have looked all over and can't find anything.
I don't think it is Norton Anti-Virus as I am not getting an virus related messages and ALL PDF files as e-mail attachments cannot be opened, not just this one.
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
In Tool menu : Sep 15, 2003

Option/Security/Activate for opening the file which may contain a virus.

I am not sure about the words in English, because I have it in French version

Rebecca Holmes
Rebecca Holmes
United States
Local time: 07:20
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Sep 15, 2003

Thanks to all of you!
Chance was right - once I de-activated that option the PDF files immediately became readable.
Thank you all VERY, VERY much!!!!!

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:20
Danish to English
+ ...
PDF won't open Sep 15, 2003

Have you stored the attachments in one of your files on your PC? Some attachments cannot be opened through Outlook or other e-mail programs but need to be stored in a file before opening.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 05:20
Dutch to English
+ ...
Thank you! Sep 16, 2003

[quote]chance wrote:

Option/Security/Activate for opening the file which may contain a virus.

Thank you! I have been baffled by this problem for a long time. Your solution works: now I can save or open both pdf and jpg files.

Cicero
Cicero
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:20
Japanese to English
+ ...
Opening a PDF file Sep 18, 2003

We have had the same problem occurring here after the recent virus scares.

It appears that when we uploaded Microsoft security patches, during installation it automatically set the setting in the security under the options to maximum.

Any file that looks dangerous i.e. is not a Microsoft file doesn't get through. Simply changing the settings works as often does simply forwarding the e-mail and opening the attachment then.

Best wishes

Didier

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HELP! Outlook Express won't open PDF files!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »