Thread poster: Jacques DP
Jacques DP
Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 18:44
English to French
Mar 9, 2004

Hello everyone,

I work in SDL Edit for a particular customer, and I just realized that I should be able to do these jobs in Trados instead (which I would prefer), by transferring the files between the two apps.

I had my first try today, but with no luck. I was able to export, from within SDL Edit, to TTX format, and then to open the TTX file in Tageditor and work on it.

But when I save the TTX file in Tageditor, and that I try to open it in SDL Edit, I get
... See more
Hello everyone,

I work in SDL Edit for a particular customer, and I just realized that I should be able to do these jobs in Trados instead (which I would prefer), by transferring the files between the two apps.

I had my first try today, but with no luck. I was able to export, from within SDL Edit, to TTX format, and then to open the TTX file in Tageditor and work on it.

But when I save the TTX file in Tageditor, and that I try to open it in SDL Edit, I get an error and it doesn't open. The error is:

TradosTAG Parse Error
SSLex0105e: Invalid token, Line 2, Offset 519, "

Line 2 of the "HTML" file (TTX seems to be HTML-based) happens to me a meta tag with the character encoding (which I was prompted to translate in Tageditor, but left as is).

Any idea?...

Thanks,

Jacques

[Edited at 2004-03-09 17:46]

[Edited at 2004-03-09 18:54]
Collapse

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:44
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Ask SDL online Mar 9, 2004

Hi Jacques:

I'm afraid I don't know, but-----

SDL have a live help link - see button at bottom left at: http://www.sdlintl.com/products-home/products/sdlx.htm

Good luck

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
can you pls let us know the outcome? Mar 9, 2004

Hi, Jacques.
Can you pls let us know the outcome if you contact the SDLX support?
I had the same problem last week (I use SDLX 2003), but the other way round: I had a TagEditor job which I would have preferred doing in SDLX, but got your same error when I ried to open the files, so I ended up doing it in TagEditor after all.
Thanks,
Roberta

[Edited at 2004-03-09 18:49]

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
All right, I asked them... Mar 9, 2004

Filed a full request complete with the TTX file attached... If you fill the form to submit the bug, you then get to a second form, in which you are forced to create a new account, in which fields like second name, employer and telephone number are mandatory.

Ahem.

Thanks for your reactions, and I'll let you know.

Jacques

[Edited at 2004-03-09 19:35]

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This happens to me too Mar 9, 2004

I have both SDLX and Trados running.
One of our customers forces me to use SDLX, so I´m opening his files there (with the edtit tool), then I export the file to Trados.
After translating the file with TAG Editor I´m allthough not able to import it too.
I export the file once again, but instead of translating it with TAG Editor I use the Worbench "translate" function. Then I´m able to import ("harvest") the translation to SDLX. Don´t ask why, as I don´t know, but this works
... See more
I have both SDLX and Trados running.
One of our customers forces me to use SDLX, so I´m opening his files there (with the edtit tool), then I export the file to Trados.
After translating the file with TAG Editor I´m allthough not able to import it too.
I export the file once again, but instead of translating it with TAG Editor I use the Worbench "translate" function. Then I´m able to import ("harvest") the translation to SDLX. Don´t ask why, as I don´t know, but this works.
I do not like SDLX...

Kind regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Mmmm Mar 9, 2004

Thanks Jerzy for providing a suggestion, however I didn't get it. Could you please describe again the process that works? (forget about the one that doesn't)

What do you mean by the Workbench translate function? In Workbench (FL 6), I have a menu item Tools->Translate, but this is for pre-translation, so I don't see the connection with our situation.

Thanks,

Jacques

[Edited at 2004-03-09 21:01]

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sorry, I was not clear enough Mar 9, 2004

Here my solution in steps:

1. Start Workbench, TAG Editor, SDLX
2. Open the file to translate in SDLX
3. Export SDLX file to Trados ttx
4. Open the exported ttx file in TAG Editor
5. Translate this file as usual with TAG Editor. In this way your translation is in your Trados TM
6. After you finished the translation save the ttx and close it
7. Switch to SDLX and export the same file once again. Do NOT close this file.
8. In Worbench go to To
... See more
Here my solution in steps:

1. Start Workbench, TAG Editor, SDLX
2. Open the file to translate in SDLX
3. Export SDLX file to Trados ttx
4. Open the exported ttx file in TAG Editor
5. Translate this file as usual with TAG Editor. In this way your translation is in your Trados TM
6. After you finished the translation save the ttx and close it
7. Switch to SDLX and export the same file once again. Do NOT close this file.
8. In Worbench go to Tools , select Translate and translate the newly exported ttx
9. Go back to SDLX and import your automatic translated ttx file.

For unknown reasons this works, while importing a ttx file translated with TAG Editor does not work.

Feel free to contact me via my profile with any further questions.

Kind regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Oh I see... Mar 9, 2004

Hi Jerzy,

Thanks for explaining, I got it now. However, I tried and it didn't work for me. When I want to Translate the untranslated SDL-exported file in Workbench, I get "Unexpected error when reading file".

This has probably nothing to do with our problem here, though (I never used pretranslation as I do it on the fly when translating, so probably there are other problems to solve in my setup to get that part to work---sigh).

Also, I think there is a smal
... See more
Hi Jerzy,

Thanks for explaining, I got it now. However, I tried and it didn't work for me. When I want to Translate the untranslated SDL-exported file in Workbench, I get "Unexpected error when reading file".

This has probably nothing to do with our problem here, though (I never used pretranslation as I do it on the fly when translating, so probably there are other problems to solve in my setup to get that part to work---sigh).

Also, I think there is a small problem in your solution (even when it works, I mean). Suppose you have 2 identical source segments that must be translated in 2 different ways in the text; that way of doing things will mess things up, applying to both the last translation you applied in Tageditor...

Thanks again,

Jacques
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
It works with Trados 6.0 and Trados 6.5 and the latest SDLX Mar 9, 2004

At least it works for Polish in my case, even if working over a network.

Regarding the problem of two different translations - this is generally a problem of any CAT-tool, which is handled by Trados in very smooth way. If you allow more 100% matches, they count actually as 99% match and so are not used for machine translation. Translating manually you can then choose the proper version.
If you use the translate functio from Workbench parts with more then one 100% match will re
... See more
At least it works for Polish in my case, even if working over a network.

Regarding the problem of two different translations - this is generally a problem of any CAT-tool, which is handled by Trados in very smooth way. If you allow more 100% matches, they count actually as 99% match and so are not used for machine translation. Translating manually you can then choose the proper version.
If you use the translate functio from Workbench parts with more then one 100% match will remain untranslated, so you will have to edit them afterwards in SDLX. But be carefull there - if auto propagate is on the first translation of a segment will be automatically applied to another occurencies of this segment. SDLX is far less flexible than Trados IMO.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Answer from SDLX Mar 10, 2004

OK, and thanks again for the explanation, Jerzy.

As promised, here's the official answer from SLDX (I wish anglophone people knew how to spell my first name.

---
Hi Jaques,

As the format of TTX files changed slightly between Trados 5.5 and 6 SDLX can not presently harvest files that have been edited in versions of Trados 6. This issue is currently being addressed and will be resolved in
... See more
OK, and thanks again for the explanation, Jerzy.

As promised, here's the official answer from SLDX (I wish anglophone people knew how to spell my first name.

---
Hi Jaques,

As the format of TTX files changed slightly between Trados 5.5 and 6 SDLX can not presently harvest files that have been edited in versions of Trados 6. This issue is currently being addressed and will be resolved in the next release of SDLX.

Cheers

Graham
--

Or: the joy of trying to cope with the proprietary formats of the market leader... It should be easy for any hobbyist programmer to compare a Trados 5 TTX (or simply the TTX exported by SDL Edit) and a Trados 6 TTX, and create a little conversion utility. I might do that one of these days. In fact, I suspect that this is simply a small change at the beginning of the file (the error message indicates line 2).

Or else, we have Jerzy's workaround.

Jacques
Collapse

Per Karlsson
Per Karlsson
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TradosTAG Parse Error when opening TTX in SDL Edit Mar 15, 2004

[quote]Jacques Du Paquier wrote:

SDLX answer:
As the format of TTX files changed slightly between Trados 5.5 and 6 SDLX can not presently harvest files that have been edited in versions of Trados 6. This issue is currently being addressed and will be resolved in the next release of SDLX.

Jacques:
In fact, I suspect that this is simply a small change at the beginning of the file (the error message indicates line 2).

You are quite correct, Jacques. There is a small change in the header of the TTX file, which SDLX has been to lazy to correct. With the help of Trados support, I managed to localize why SDLX hangs up on the import of TTX files from Trados 6 and above. I will notify SDLX about this today.
Here is how:

Simply remove the following on row 4 in the header of the TTX file from TagEditor:
SettingsRelativePath="..\..\opentag.ini" PlugInInfo=""/>
Save the file in an ordinary text editor.
Now SDLX will harvest the file without problems.
NOTE! also that SDLX has defined some language codes incorrectly.
At least for Swedish, they have SV-SV, when it in fact should be SV-SE. This must also be changed in the header before TagEditor will open the TTX from SDLX.
Trados 5.5 accepted this language code error anyway, but Trados 6.0 and 6.5 does not.

Regards,
Per

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Doesn't work for me Mar 15, 2004

Thanks Per for contributing a solution, however I don't have that line in my TagEditor-generated TTX file... It probably depends on the initial file format...

Jacques

Roberta Anderson
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
workaround: export TM, not TTX files Mar 15, 2004

Hi again Jacques.
Did I understand correctly that you need to revert the TTX files back to SDLX because that's the format you were given and therefore have to deliver back, while you actually worked in TagEditor?
If so I think the easiest workaround is to export the TM from the translation you did in TagEditor in txt format.
Then create a new TM in SDLX, import your TagEditor TM and apply it to the original itd files received.
This way the translation you did in TagEditor
... See more
Hi again Jacques.
Did I understand correctly that you need to revert the TTX files back to SDLX because that's the format you were given and therefore have to deliver back, while you actually worked in TagEditor?
If so I think the easiest workaround is to export the TM from the translation you did in TagEditor in txt format.
Then create a new TM in SDLX, import your TagEditor TM and apply it to the original itd files received.
This way the translation you did in TagEditor gets applied to the itd files, which you can then deliver to your client in their original format.
HtH,
Roberta
Collapse

Per Karlsson
Per Karlsson
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TradosTAG Parse Error when opening TTX in SDL Edit Mar 15, 2004

[quote]Roberta Anderson wrote:

This way the translation you did in TagEditor gets applied to the itd files, which you can then deliver to your client in their original format.

Well, sure you *could* do that. With a risk for double work, especially if you use Multiple translations in Trados. Also, segmententation could differ slightly. All in all - I wouldn't submit a job wiyhout carefully checking everything after having applied the translation. And I feel that's really a drag.

Jacques, it sounds a bit strange if those strings are not in the TTX which TE generates. Do you use Trados 6 or 6.5? Maybe it could have to do something with the source file format, even if it sounds somewhay odd.
Per

Roberta Anderson
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
any change of format requires checking Mar 16, 2004

cosmicp wrote:

Well, sure you *could* do that. With a risk for double work, especially if you use Multiple translations in Trados. Also, segmententation could differ slightly. All in all - I wouldn't submit a job wiyhout carefully checking everything after having applied the translation. And I feel that's really a drag.

I agree, Per - but files have to be checked after any change of format, anyway...
I used this method on a batch of files yesterday, and encountered no segmentation problems.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TradosTAG Parse Error when opening TTX in SDL Edit

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »