Are changes done in Studio imported into XTM?
Thread poster: Evdoxia Renta
Evdoxia Renta
Evdoxia Renta
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:01
English to Greek
+ ...
Feb 20, 2020

Hi,

I have two huge files (54k words) to review and I have downloaded two .xlf files from XTM Cloud so that I can review them using SDL Studio 2017.

Does anyone know what happens with the tracked changes? Will they be transferred to XTM?

Thanks

[Edited at 2020-02-20 19:47 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:01
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I doubt it Feb 20, 2020

Evdoxia Renta wrote:
I have downloaded two .xlf files from XTM Cloud so that I can review them using SDL Studio 2017. Does anyone know what happens with the tracked changes? Will they be transferred to XTM?

I doubt that the tracked edits will be transferred. As far as I know, XTM Cloud can't import SDLXLIFF files, but only it's own XLF file format. This means you're going to have to open the XLF file in Trados (which will convert it to SDLXLIFF), edit it, and then export it back to an XLF file in the end. The XLIFF standard does not have a standardised way of containing tracked edits. The SDLXLIFF format's method of tracking changes is not standard in all XLIFF files but is unique to SDLXLIFF.

If you open an SDLXLIFF file with tracked changes in MemoQ, MemoQ will recognise the tracks and will apply those edits to the MemoQ XLIFF file, but that is a special case, because the SDLXLIFF file is the "source" file, whereas in your scenario the XTM XLIFF file is the source flle and the SDLXLIFF file is the intermediary file.

Evdoxia Renta
Evdoxia Renta
United Kingdom
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Feb 20, 2020

Thanks Samuel. I forgot to mention that I got the liffs from XTM itself (exported them).

Evdoxia Renta
Evdoxia Renta
United Kingdom
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Feb 20, 2020

I just imported back one of them to see what happens (while the Track Changes was still on - visible edits). Nothing happens. None of the edits are imported.

I'll accept one them and try to import it again and see if the changed seg appears in XTM.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Are changes done in Studio imported into XTM?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »