Thread poster: Hedwig Spitzer (X)
Hedwig Spitzer (X)
Hedwig Spitzer (X)  Identity Verified
Peru
French to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 8, 2019

Hi,

I have been using my reliable, friendly, preferred and only WFP3 CAT tool for more than 15 years now (yes!!). I have been reluctant to update to WFP5 because of the usual: always an important project coming in, TMs and glossaries are perfect the way they are, being afraid of losing productivity and changing from something simple to something… unknown. Moreover, WFP5 scares me because of all the reported annoying bugs many people complain about in different forums.
Howev
... See more
Hi,

I have been using my reliable, friendly, preferred and only WFP3 CAT tool for more than 15 years now (yes!!). I have been reluctant to update to WFP5 because of the usual: always an important project coming in, TMs and glossaries are perfect the way they are, being afraid of losing productivity and changing from something simple to something… unknown. Moreover, WFP5 scares me because of all the reported annoying bugs many people complain about in different forums.
However, last Windows 10 major update has produced some bugs in WFP3. Since it is considered legacy software, we can no longer expect any updates so it is time for me to finally upgrade.

Any tips on how to do it smoothly? Or what not to do to get things right according to your experience?

Thanks!
Collapse

Stefan Stefanov
Stefan Stefanov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 13:52
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Redo a couple of projects you've done in WFP3 in WFP5? Jul 15, 2019

I guess that's an easy enough option – take a small project (or file) you've completed in WFP3 and load it in WFP5. Use the translated file to copy-paste your existing translation from there.

I had used WFP3 for about 12 or 13 years before I migrated to WFP5 (this year finally). And I must say I like it better now, save for the lack of an Excel import wizard.

Don't worry, it's not that scary Importing y
... See more
I guess that's an easy enough option – take a small project (or file) you've completed in WFP3 and load it in WFP5. Use the translated file to copy-paste your existing translation from there.

I had used WFP3 for about 12 or 13 years before I migrated to WFP5 (this year finally). And I must say I like it better now, save for the lack of an Excel import wizard.

Don't worry, it's not that scary Importing your TMs and glossaries takes only minutes once you are ready to proceed.
Collapse

Hedwig Spitzer (X)
Peru
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 16, 2019

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your comments, I am somewhat reassured it will not be that traumatic. Good idea, I will try that!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:52
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Hedwig Jul 16, 2019

Hedwig Spitzer Cáceres wrote:
I have been using my reliable, friendly, preferred and only WFP3 CAT tool for more than 15 years now (yes!!).
WFP5 scares me because of all the reported annoying bugs many people complain about in different forums.

Yes, when WFP3 came out and the bugs that got reported went unfixed, we eventually got used to it. It's not as reliable or friendly as you believe -- you just got used it. The same will apply to WFP5. In the end, you'll love big brother. You'll get used to the bugs, you'll forget that you used to be more efficient in other ways and figure out how to be efficient in new ways. WFP5 is a terrible, terrible program, and I don't look forward to the day when I am finally forced to upgrade. But the trick in upgrading to newer versions programmed by new generations of programmers who discovered new generations of drugs to be on while programming, is to stop using the old version altogether. Otherwise you're constantly reminded of how bad the new version is. This is what worked for me when I was forced to move from Windows XP to Windows 7, and I suppose the same thing will happen when I'm forced to finally delete Word 2003 (oh, and Windows 7, too). A new keyboard or a new mouse is sooo annoying to use, until you get used to it.

I had to use WFP5 for a few hours yesterday (you can tell). The fact that I can move from the Find to the Replace field in the replacement dialog using Tab, but I can't move in the opposite direction using Shift+Tab, I find incredibly annoying. I am 100% convinced the programmer responsible for programming the replacement dialog had it scheduled on a Friday afternoon and his team leader was already at home getting stoned. Look, I'm sure that after a day or two of using the mouse to move the cursor upwards, I'll be so used to it that I wouldn't even find it odd, but while it is still new and strange to me, I hate it.

Hedwig Spitzer (X)

Hedwig Spitzer (X)
Peru
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Samuel Jul 16, 2019

I am just getting older . I guess we all get used to new versions of everyday use software, professional or not. I hate it too.

Cheers!

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:52
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
First impression positive Aug 21, 2019

I installed WFP 5.10 today and imported an SDL package and WFP did all very smoothly without my interference. Even GT was activated at the same time. If the software would only remember where it was last time, now it always opens on the laptop window.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Migrating from WFP3 to WFP5

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »