Thread poster: Roni_S
Roni_S
Roni_S  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 20:36
Slovak to English
Feb 20, 2018

Hi,

I've got a Word document with 2 columns (table), the client wants source text on the left and target on the right. At the moment, both columns contain the source text. The table is set up so that, for the most part, each paragraph is contained in a separate cell. The problem is that when I press alt+down to move to the next segment, I'm automatically taken to the next sentence in the left column instead of downward in the right column. I've tried hiding the text in the left colu
... See more
Hi,

I've got a Word document with 2 columns (table), the client wants source text on the left and target on the right. At the moment, both columns contain the source text. The table is set up so that, for the most part, each paragraph is contained in a separate cell. The problem is that when I press alt+down to move to the next segment, I'm automatically taken to the next sentence in the left column instead of downward in the right column. I've tried hiding the text in the left column but it reappears upon pressing alt+down, and the next segment opens up in the left column again. I've thought of copying one column into a new file and then copying it back into the table after I've finished translating, but in the past that has ended with me spending too much time re-formatting not only the numbering on the target side but also the indents, as copying the text back into the column seems to cause it to go out of whack. That wouldn't be that big a deal but the document is fairly large and if I had to re-format it would probably take years. I'm using Word 2003 and WFC 6.99.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good way to handle this? Thanks!
Collapse

Mihaela BUFNILA
Mihaela BUFNILA  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 21:36
English to Romanian
+ ...
Highlight Grey Feb 20, 2018

Select the left column.
Then click Wordfast icon or (Ctrl+Alt+W) to open Wordfast window >Setup tab > Segments > select Use Highlight Grey 25% as untranslatable attibute

HTH

Roni_S
Slovakia
Slovak to English
TOPIC STARTER
@Mihaela Feb 20, 2018

Hi Mihaela,

Thank you for your suggestion, but it didn't seem to do anything. Tried the shading and the red ants, but still having the same problem.

Mihaela BUFNILA
Mihaela BUFNILA  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 21:36
English to Romanian
+ ...
Copy/paste Feb 20, 2018

I've thought of copying one column into a new file and then copying it back into the table

Copy the column, translate it but when you paste it back to the original file use "Insert as a New Columns" paste option.
The formatting should be unchanged.
Just try with a few segments.

Roni_S
Slovakia
Slovak to English
TOPIC STARTER
@Mihaela Feb 21, 2018

The paste option worked, thanks for your suggestion.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WFC with columns in MS Word

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »