Michael van Laake
Michael van Laake  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:23
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jan 14, 2020

Hi all,
I am translating a text on a Spanish engraver, written by an art historian.
Source: Spanish - Target: English.
The source text includes some quotes in French - these will remain in French. But one of them is followed by a translation into Spanish, and also states the name of the FR-SP translator.
This one will have to go into English. It is a fragment of a poem, about 35 words, and I have managed to find an existing English translation online. For me this is a bi
... See more
Hi all,
I am translating a text on a Spanish engraver, written by an art historian.
Source: Spanish - Target: English.
The source text includes some quotes in French - these will remain in French. But one of them is followed by a translation into Spanish, and also states the name of the FR-SP translator.
This one will have to go into English. It is a fragment of a poem, about 35 words, and I have managed to find an existing English translation online. For me this is a bit like avoiding back translations: if FR-EN already exists, that should be better than doing FR-SP and then SP-EN.
The question is: if I use the FR-EN translation I have found, should I acknowledge the author/translator?
Collapse

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Yes Jan 14, 2020

Yes, I believe you should name both the author and translator. How would you see it if you were either of them? I think you'd want to be acknowledged.

Tina Vonhof (X)

Sofia Aldazabal Wood
Sofia Aldazabal Wood
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Jan 14, 2020

I believe you should. You need to acknowledge them and also make clear it is not your translation.
Good luck!

Tina Vonhof (X)

Helen Shiner
Helen Shiner  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:23
German to English
+ ...
Yes Jan 14, 2020

Yes, you should. I tend to append a note for my client and they insert the relevant footnote based on the information I provide.

Barbara Carrara

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Yes Jan 15, 2020

In poetry, this is quite important. And apparently the customer also regards it as important.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Acknowledging translations of quotes by a third party

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »