Fei Ge
United States
Local time: 07:01
Member (2012)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Jun 30, 2019

Hello,

I have a very important 2 hour online and proctored through Skype Chinese to English translation test for a fairly high paying job for 3-5 years if I pass and do a month long training. All I know is that it will be 4 segments of financial and marketing passages in Chinese that you have to translate into English, only being able to use a printed dictionary, no electronic dictionaries allowed.

I have been freelancing for 7 years now, though full time for 3 I think
... See more
Hello,

I have a very important 2 hour online and proctored through Skype Chinese to English translation test for a fairly high paying job for 3-5 years if I pass and do a month long training. All I know is that it will be 4 segments of financial and marketing passages in Chinese that you have to translate into English, only being able to use a printed dictionary, no electronic dictionaries allowed.

I have been freelancing for 7 years now, though full time for 3 I think, and this is the biggest break I've gotten besides the usual large assignment that I get for the Summer, that I hope is still coming this year.

Anyone else have experience with how to do well on these kinds of tests?

Thanks,

Mark
Collapse

Ali Sharifi
Ali Sharifi  Identity Verified
United States
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Good luck Jun 30, 2019

Trust your guts and you will succeed.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 05:01
Dutch to English
+ ...
Trust yourself Jun 30, 2019

If you have prepared well, you will do well. Before you start, take a few deep breaths and clean your mind of any other clutter, just relax. A few minutes into the test you will start to feel more confident. If there is something you don't know immediately, mark it and go back to it later; don't get stuck and spend too much time on it. If there is time at the end, go over the whole test and proofread, including punctuation. That's the best advice I can give you.
I wish you success!

Hannah Mosford

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:01
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Good luck! Jul 1, 2019

You have been translating for a while, trust yourself and like Tina said, relax.
For me, that would be easier if I make sure I am well rested, have had a reasonable amount of physical activity in the days before the test, and have been reading lots, if possible in both the source and the target language, on the subjects to be tested (finance and marketing). I would probably spend some time online or in the library with journals, newspapers and other current publications, making lists/gloss
... See more
You have been translating for a while, trust yourself and like Tina said, relax.
For me, that would be easier if I make sure I am well rested, have had a reasonable amount of physical activity in the days before the test, and have been reading lots, if possible in both the source and the target language, on the subjects to be tested (finance and marketing). I would probably spend some time online or in the library with journals, newspapers and other current publications, making lists/glossaries so I can look things up and so that they stick better in my head (I always remember things better after I have written them down).
I would probably be very nervous just before the test (I did a similar one some years ago) but, as Tina said, once you get going, you will probably feel you have this under control as you know what you are doing. Good luck!
Collapse

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:01
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Just out of interest... Jul 2, 2019

How did you do?

Fei Ge
Fei Ge
United States
Member (2012)
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Stuff me in a giant hole somewhere far away... Jul 22, 2019

Sorry for the lack of updates, and I report today with nothing but grim news. I took a Chinese to English translation test for an agency working on a contract that if I had passed, would've landed me a 65K/year freelance work from home gig, for 3-5 years, after a month's long training in Virginia. I think the passing score was a 3, and I had managed to only get a 2+. I am so upset that I did not pass and will not be working for this company, I don't know what else to do, I've been working fre... See more
Sorry for the lack of updates, and I report today with nothing but grim news. I took a Chinese to English translation test for an agency working on a contract that if I had passed, would've landed me a 65K/year freelance work from home gig, for 3-5 years, after a month's long training in Virginia. I think the passing score was a 3, and I had managed to only get a 2+. I am so upset that I did not pass and will not be working for this company, I don't know what else to do, I've been working freelance for 4 years full time now, but it seems like I have yet to find something that is truly steady and well paid for at least a year. Anyways, one door closes, another opens so I'm still out there looking for my big break.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Big Test Tomorrow - Yikes!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »