From Transit to XLIFF and back
Thread poster: Maurizio Bellemo
Mar 6, 2020

Hi,

I have a Transit package from a customer and I would like to work with another CAT tool using XLIFFs and then bringing it back to Transit. Is there a converter available?

Thanks,
Cheers

Fernando Larrazabal
Fernando Larrazabal
Japan
Local time: 14:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
MemoQ Mar 7, 2020

MemoQ can import and export Transit (PPF/TPF) files, and you can perfectly translate the Transit packages.
But, you will have no idea what the Transit files you deliver look like, and you may be surprised to know that, all of a sudden, your final Transit files have new tags where they are not supposed to be, and your client will (may) realize you have not done the project directly in Transit.
You may have an option getting Transit and using it for the 30 days trial period.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Cross-posting Mar 7, 2020

Maurizio Bellemo wrote:

Hi,

I have a Transit package

https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/341960-who_created_the_transitpackage_handler_in_studio.html

BTW: Transit can import XLIFF.

[Edited at 2020-03-07 21:56 GMT]

Iris Kleinophorst
Iris Kleinophorst  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:48
Chinese to German
+ ...
Maybe use translation in a different tool as Transit reference material? Mar 8, 2020

Hi,

I know I am coming from the other side. But once in a while, I get Studio packages and prefer to translate them in Transit. As Hans has mentioned, it is no problem to open Xliffs in Transit. Even for Studio Xliffs, you can just delete the sdl from the sdlxliff. However, transfering the Transit Xliffs back to Studio seems to pose a problem in certain projects (the problem might either have been the language itself - Chinese - or the fact that the PM imported translation files wit
... See more
Hi,

I know I am coming from the other side. But once in a while, I get Studio packages and prefer to translate them in Transit. As Hans has mentioned, it is no problem to open Xliffs in Transit. Even for Studio Xliffs, you can just delete the sdl from the sdlxliff. However, transfering the Transit Xliffs back to Studio seems to pose a problem in certain projects (the problem might either have been the language itself - Chinese - or the fact that the PM imported translation files with Chinese file names). The solution I usually choose is to export my Transit project to tmx and use this tmx as reference material in Studio for a pretranslation which usually runs through basically automatically.

I suppose this might work the other way round, too? If you manage to open your translation package in your preferred tool, it might be less failure-prone to do the translation in that tool and then use this translation as reference material in tmx format for a pretranslation in Transit. This way, there is less of risk of scrambled tags or segmentation.

Btw, the Transit package is basically a zip file. You can just rename it and check on the contents. Which won't help much, though, as it usually contains the language pairs and project definitions that are Transit-specific.

Best regards
Iris
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

From Transit to XLIFF and back

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »