Seamless switching between two windows (Autoit script)
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:00
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Feb 7, 2020

Hello everyone

I sometimes need to compare two files that have very similar layout. I can either put the two files next to each other, or I can use Ctrl+Tab (or my mouse) to switch between them. However, using Ctrl+Tab isn't seamless, and side-by-side isn't always useful for me.

So, I wrote a small AutoIt script that can be used for switching between two windows.
... See more
Hello everyone

I sometimes need to compare two files that have very similar layout. I can either put the two files next to each other, or I can use Ctrl+Tab (or my mouse) to switch between them. However, using Ctrl+Tab isn't seamless, and side-by-side isn't always useful for me.

So, I wrote a small AutoIt script that can be used for switching between two windows.

http://www.leuce.com/autoit/winswitchie.zip
You need AutoIt installed to use it.

You open both windows, then use a shortcut to "remember" the two windows, and then you can use another shortcut to switch between the two windows. The shortcut is ` (or ~).

Do you know of other free utilities that do the same or similar things?

Samuel
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Tiling window manager Feb 7, 2020

Thank you, Samuel.

I have something, but it's not a script/utility. I thought I'd share. I don't want to hijack your thread, however, so If you consider this OT, let me know, I will gladly take it down.

In my GNU/Linux distribution with the i3 tiling window manager (Regolith Linux), by default (there are other modes as well), if I open a program or window, it takes up the full screen, with no window decorations. If I then open a second program a window, the screen is au
... See more
Thank you, Samuel.

I have something, but it's not a script/utility. I thought I'd share. I don't want to hijack your thread, however, so If you consider this OT, let me know, I will gladly take it down.

In my GNU/Linux distribution with the i3 tiling window manager (Regolith Linux), by default (there are other modes as well), if I open a program or window, it takes up the full screen, with no window decorations. If I then open a second program a window, the screen is automatically divided and each window takes up half the screen.

I can switch focus seamlessly between the on-screen windows with Ctrl+Arrows or Ctrl+H,J,K or L.
Window positions can be swapped (Ctrl+Shift+Left/Right arrow) and one window can be allocated more place via the resize mode (Super key+R, then Left/Right arrow, then escape when done). New windows can be placed vertically or horizontally.

I can also switch between (up to 19) dynamic virtual workplaces or send a window to another workplace via a keyboard shortcut. Multiple displays are just different workplaces, so such setups work seamlessly as well.

With some applications, like the document viewer (Zathura), navigation within the document is also keyboard-friendly.

So in effect, everything* can be done via the keyboard.

Migrating to Linux is not seamless, but everything else is (or, can be, could be, might be… *you get the hyperbole/picture).

[Edited at 2020-02-07 14:41 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seamless switching between two windows (Autoit script)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »