Thread poster: Lais Lewicki
Lais Lewicki
Lais Lewicki
Brazil
Local time: 08:04
English to Portuguese
Jul 13, 2018

Hi!

I often get asked to translate updated versions of contracts and agreements, so I need a good tool to compare PDFs without needing to convert them to word files first.

I know that Workshare Compare does that beautifully, but it does not count how many new words there are in the document.

Does anyone know a PDF comparison tool that does so?

Counting the new words in a document faster would help me give my clients an accurate quotation on the
... See more
Hi!

I often get asked to translate updated versions of contracts and agreements, so I need a good tool to compare PDFs without needing to convert them to word files first.

I know that Workshare Compare does that beautifully, but it does not count how many new words there are in the document.

Does anyone know a PDF comparison tool that does so?

Counting the new words in a document faster would help me give my clients an accurate quotation on the work. As I would only have to translate those words.

Thanks in advance!

Lais
Collapse

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 13:04
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
ABBYY Comparator Jul 13, 2018

Hi,

I have not tried ABBYY Comparator yet but they say: "Fast, accurate and automatic, Comparator identifies and alerts you to any relevant changes in text — even if comparing two versions of the same document across different file formats".

You can check it out at www.abbyy.com/en-us/comparator

VIP9N
VIP9N
Local time: 14:04
Russian to English
+ ...
Workshare Compare first, and then delete irrelevant Jul 16, 2018

Lais Lewicki wrote:
I know that Workshare Compare does that beautifully, but it does not count how many new words there are in the document...
Lais

Hi Lais,

I use Workshare Compare for these purposes. And compare what it can compare, not only pdfs.
When the comparison is completed, I simply save it as a Word-file. Then I open it in Word, go to Find & Replace and start deleting "unnecessary" fonts, i.e. black (unchanged text), red (deleted text) and green (relocated text, RGB 0, 192, 0). I choose the required font colour and replace it with nothing.

As a result, I have pages of dark blue colour text (a new or added text), which I then count and tell the client an approximate number of text to translate.

This method is rather accurate, but not over-precise. For example, Word does not delete black footnotes, but usually the number of their characters either too insignificant, or you can remove them manually.

This is how I do it.

Good luck.

Lais Lewicki
Lais Lewicki
Brazil
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the tip Jul 18, 2018

Andriy Yasharov wrote:

Hi,

I have not tried ABBYY Comparator yet but they say: "Fast, accurate and automatic, Comparator identifies and alerts you to any relevant changes in text — even if comparing two versions of the same document across different file formats".

Thanks for the tip! I will try Abbyy's software!

Lais Lewicki
Lais Lewicki
Brazil
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jul 18, 2018

VIP9N wrote:

Lais Lewicki wrote:
I know that Workshare Compare does that beautifully, but it does not count how many new words there are in the document...
Lais

Hi Lais,

I use Workshare Compare for these purposes. And compare what it can compare, not only pdfs.
When the comparison is completed, I simply save it as a Word-file. Then I open it in Word, go to Find & Replace and start deleting "unnecessary" fonts, i.e. black (unchanged text), red (deleted text) and green (relocated text, RGB 0, 192, 0). I choose the required font colour and replace it with nothing.

As a result, I have pages of dark blue colour text (a new or added text), which I then count and tell the client an approximate number of text to translate.

This method is rather accurate, but not over-precise. For example, Word does not delete black footnotes, but usually the number of their characters either too insignificant, or you can remove them manually.

This is how I do it.

Good luck.

Thanks! I will try your method, unless there's another software that does this in the market, this seems like the quickest and easiest way!

Lais Lewicki
Lais Lewicki
Brazil
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Abbyy Comparator not available in my region Jul 18, 2018

Andriy Yasharov wrote:

Hi,

So, Abbyy Comparator is not available in my region (Brazil). Thanks for the tip anyway!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compare PDF softwares

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »