Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Which Internet Security Software is good and fast?
Thread poster: MikeTrans
MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 23:14
Italian to German
+ ...
Jul 14, 2012

Hello,

my second and older laptop is still doing a good parallel work for me, but for memory reasons I cannot use the latest Internet Security Software on it, too less RAM for a fluid operation and for archieving a reasonable scanning time.
I have tryed and then removed the Kaspersky 2010 suite which is a very good security solution, but it requires a lot of RAM and a computer expert recently adviced me to go for alternatives, even on my newest laptop.
I've installed ES
... See more
Hello,

my second and older laptop is still doing a good parallel work for me, but for memory reasons I cannot use the latest Internet Security Software on it, too less RAM for a fluid operation and for archieving a reasonable scanning time.
I have tryed and then removed the Kaspersky 2010 suite which is a very good security solution, but it requires a lot of RAM and a computer expert recently adviced me to go for alternatives, even on my newest laptop.
I've installed ESET NOD32 v.5 Antivirus which has considerably fasten up operations. It's fast, but is it a good security tool ?

So, basically I would like to know:
Which Security Software would you recommend me as for performance and for a non-invasive working mode? I'm looking for a solution which doesn't slowdown my system considerably.

Thanks very much for your feedbacks,
Mike

[Edited at 2012-07-14 14:28 GMT]
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 00:14
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
KAV Jul 14, 2012

MikeTrans wrote:
So, basically I would like to know:
Which Security Software would you recommend me as for performance and for a non-invasive working mode? I'm looking for a solution which doesn't slowdown my system considerably.

Thanks very much for your feedbacks,
Mike

[Edited at 2012-07-14 14:23 GMT]

Hi Mike, we use KIS (Kaspersky Internet Security) on our quite powerful stationary computers and KAV (Kaspersky Anti Virus) on our laptops. KAV, as oposed to KIS have less security options- there are differences in firewall/program rights control options, as well as KAV doesn't have the "Safe" browsing mode (sandbox). Kaspersky states that KAV doesn't use additional computer resources and that indeed may be the case- at least I have not noticed any slowdown. Besides, recent KIS/KAV editions use online virus database (though they download all the latest updates), but they use those stored on your computer(s) only when you are offline.

HTH,

Uldis

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Do not use a "security suite" Jul 14, 2012

MikeTrans wrote:

Probably, your new laptop has a fast 2 (or even 4) core CPU. With such a CPU plus 4 GB of RAM the speed should be no issue.

Do not use a so-called "Internet Security Suite", just choose the basic anti-virus product from the respective manufacturer's product line. Such suites contain many superflous things, e. g. a firewall, a parental control, a backup function. Things that do not exist will not cause problems. However, a firewall is important, but Windows has a good one; two firewalls may interfere with each other.

I use G Data. Tests in magazines showed, that it is slow but thorough. With a fast PC, it should be fast enough.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 01:14
English to Turkish
+ ...
Kaspersky Jul 14, 2012

I used NOD32 for two years, and re-installed my system twice because of viruses. And then switched to Kaspersky, and using the same system for 4 years. I use KIS 2012 on my 6-year old laptop.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
F-Secure, Avira, and AVG Internet Security here Jul 14, 2012

I'm using F-Secure on one machine, Avira on another, and AVG Internet Security on yet another one. Can't complain about any of them.

NOD 32 used to be good for a few years after it came out, but that's no longer the case, I'm afraid.

[Upraveno: 2012-07-14 16:25 GMT]

Avast! Jul 14, 2012

I recommend Avast! It is fast, non-invasive, it offers real-time protection and it is *free*.

http://www.avast.com/es-ww/index

If you do decide to give it a try, be sure to turn off any other anti-virus/firewall software before installing Avast! You cannot run two anti-virus programs at the same time.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Maybe a good source of information... Jul 14, 2012

...could be the AV Comparison site. It contains a number of downloadable reviews of AV software based on various criteria (detection, malware removal, false alarms etc.).

Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
Avast 2 Jul 14, 2012

Red5 wrote:

I recommend Avast!

Ditto!

Nikita Kobrin

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
AVG antivirus and Windows Firewall Jul 15, 2012

I haven't had any infection as long as I can remember. The last time I had trouble was when F-Secure stopped functioning without telling me (on Win2000).
When I start using a new computer first thing is disable and remove the Internet Security bundle they put on new computers.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree: no need for a «security suite» Jul 15, 2012

I have been using NOD32 for about 5 years now, and have stopped all threats with that.

Since a big share of virus come in emails, another good idea is to have a spam/virus filtering tool in your machine, in addition to having NOD32 scan everything you receive. I use Firetrust Mailwasher, and it has worked very well for me over the years. I was not very fond of the 2010 version though (consumed too much memory and was not reliable), but I reckon they have all issues sorted out by no
... See more
I have been using NOD32 for about 5 years now, and have stopped all threats with that.

Since a big share of virus come in emails, another good idea is to have a spam/virus filtering tool in your machine, in addition to having NOD32 scan everything you receive. I use Firetrust Mailwasher, and it has worked very well for me over the years. I was not very fond of the 2010 version though (consumed too much memory and was not reliable), but I reckon they have all issues sorted out by now. With this tool, you can see your email before downloading it to your machine. It identifies spam and takes input from you about what is unwanted email. Very useful to allow you to preview all emails before downloading them to your machine.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Windows Firewall is a sieve Jul 15, 2012

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
When I start using a new computer first thing is disable and remove the Internet Security bundle they put on new computers.

Absolutely, but...

Windows Firewall is still a sieve. It stops only threats (but does nothing to annoyances, resource hogs, home phoners). In fact, it stops only INCOMING threats but does nothing to threats that originate from your computer and is sent to other computers on a trusted network or to computers on the internet.

Up to Windows XP I used Kerio Firewall, which was small, highly effective, and easy to use. I didn't have Windows Vista but my wife did, and I now have Windows 7, and unfortunately it is difficult to find a good firewall. At this time I'm using Comodo Firewall (which is free), which is good, but it is very, very user unfriendly for anything remotely non-basic. For example, editing and deleting filtering rules is a mission and a pain (so much, in fact, I've given up on doing that, which is *bad*).

If you want to test a firewall, install some Adobe tools and some Google tools (possibly they're already on your computer) and see whether the firewall tells you when these programs try to update themselves. Windows Firewall won't breathe a word... which means that it doesn't work.

On my virtual machine, I have Avira, and every time I boot up, I get a large advert asking me to upgrade. On my main machine I have Avast, and I disabled its auto-update because it always tries to auto-update when the computer is at its most busy. I was an AVG fan for many years (can't remember why I stopped using it, though).

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Window's Advanced Firewall Jul 15, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

Windows Firewall (...) stops only INCOMING threats.

Windows Vista and Win 7 can block OUTGOING traffic:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748991.aspx
http://tweaks.com/windows/39081/advanced-windows-firewall-turn-on-outbound-filtering/

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
How to set up Windows Advanced Firewall...? Jul 15, 2012

Rolf Keller wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
Windows Firewall (...) stops only INCOMING threats.

Windows Vista and Win 7 can block OUTGOING traffic:
http://tweaks.com/windows/39081/advanced-windows-firewall-turn-on-outbound-filtering/

Okay, I tried it. I disabled my third-party firewall, then I set the default action for outbound traffic on Windows Advanced Firewall to "block", and I checked to see if my web browser was on the filter list (it wasn't).

Then I tried to visit a web site, and this is what happened: (a) I got no warning from Windows Firewall telling me that my browser is trying to access the internet and (b) my browser was able to access the internet, connect to the web site, and serve me the web site.

Then I had a close look at it and found that there are three "profiles" to set individual blocking rules for, namely "domain", "private" and "public". Only if I set the "public" profile to block does it successfully block my web browser... but... it permanently blocks my web browser. In other words, it doesn't ask me "block or allow".

How can I get Windows Advanced Firewall to *ask* me for each new program whether I want to allow it or not?

[Edited at 2012-07-15 16:08 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:14
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Will this all improve with Windows 8? Jul 15, 2012

I'm a Mac user and never have to worry about getting infected. In many years of using Macs, nothing bad has ever happened to me.

However: when Windows 8 comes out I'm thinking of installing it on my Mac and running it with a virtual machine such as Parallels Desktop.

For the first time in my life I will then have to start worrying about viruses.

However I've read that in Windows 8, security will be much less of a problem than it used to be. Is there any tr
... See more
I'm a Mac user and never have to worry about getting infected. In many years of using Macs, nothing bad has ever happened to me.

However: when Windows 8 comes out I'm thinking of installing it on my Mac and running it with a virtual machine such as Parallels Desktop.

For the first time in my life I will then have to start worrying about viruses.

However I've read that in Windows 8, security will be much less of a problem than it used to be. Is there any truth in this?

[Edited at 2012-07-15 16:25 GMT]
Collapse

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks you all very much! Jul 15, 2012

Dear colleagues,

thank you all a lot for the abundance of useful comments.
Especially the link to the AV site has proved to be very helpful for me.

I already have some experience in setting up such programs efficiently in order to give me total control, but I was very surprised to see (on the AV site) that while most of the solutions rate very good in the detection of viruses, very few top products have actually received good ratings for the Removal capacity of s
... See more
Dear colleagues,

thank you all a lot for the abundance of useful comments.
Especially the link to the AV site has proved to be very helpful for me.

I already have some experience in setting up such programs efficiently in order to give me total control, but I was very surprised to see (on the AV site) that while most of the solutions rate very good in the detection of viruses, very few top products have actually received good ratings for the Removal capacity of such malware.
I'm currently testing some solutions in VMWare and on my second laptop to see how far special settings go to improve protection, which of them can be switched off to improve performance etc.

Kaspersky is prime, but no option for my 2nd laptop (Win XP, 2005), although it lacks Thunderbird e-Mail implementation (no add-on is supported anymore for the Antispam), which I find to be a big minus, because the "Junk" function in Thunderbird is a total mess where you must move all junk mails yourself - manually - in a special folder. To do that there's no need for any junk function

Other solutions also don't seem to have any support for portable e-mail clients (I start Thunderbird e-mail exclusively from my USB stick).

At some point I will have to decide for a 'lighter' version, also checking your comments about using a solution that don't come in the form of a "security suite", but: a Firewall is a must, a simple antivirus is not enough. A total control over registry changes and program file modifications is also necessary, this may prevent from having to do complicated malware removals afterwards.

Again I thank you for your feedbacks,
Greets,
Mike
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which Internet Security Software is good and fast?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »