Printer friendly versions of forum threads?
Thread poster: Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:20
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 29, 2007

Does anyone know if there is a way to print-out the forum discussions without the yellow boxes/tables?

I enjoy reading the discussions in my working languages because they are not only interesting, but also provide good examples of original text written by professional native speakers. However, I don't always want to be stuck in front of the computer.

Henrik Pipoyan
Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:20
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
Save as text file Apr 29, 2007

One of the ways is to save it as text file, then delete all the unnecessary text and print out the rest.

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:50
German to English
Printer friendly version - good idea Apr 29, 2007

TampaTranslator wrote:

However, I don't always want to be stuck in front of the computer.

I agree. I would also prefer to have a hard copy of some of the useful and interesting forum discussions that I can put in a file for future reference.

Best regards,
Niraja

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:20
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Support the idea Apr 29, 2007

Yes, I also support the idea - although, in my case, it is chiefly printer-friendly versions of Kudoz questions that I would like to have.

Astrid

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:20
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Interesting suggestions Apr 29, 2007

Hi friends!

These are interesting ideas worth implementing. I have included them in our to-dos list.

Thanks for helping us make ProZ.com a better site!
Enrique

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not only printer friendly... Apr 29, 2007

...but also copy & paste friendly. I have tried to put a thread into a Word document for later reference. I can tediously copy and paste each posting separately, and type in the name of the poster. But if I try to select and copy a larger segment, I lose everyone's pictures and glom up my document with so much code that it often shuts down the program, and has even made my computer crash.

Unless there's some legal, copyright, or privacy issue involved here that I don't know about, t
... See more
...but also copy & paste friendly. I have tried to put a thread into a Word document for later reference. I can tediously copy and paste each posting separately, and type in the name of the poster. But if I try to select and copy a larger segment, I lose everyone's pictures and glom up my document with so much code that it often shuts down the program, and has even made my computer crash.

Unless there's some legal, copyright, or privacy issue involved here that I don't know about, this suggestion would be a really good one to deal with.

By the way, every time I share a KudoZ question, Forum thread, or Article with my translation students, I'm recruiting future ProZ members!
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I wonder if any progress has been made... Jul 2, 2015

...with this request in the past eight years or if there is any new technology or suggestions?

I've tried copy and paste and text versions, but it takes a lot of time to format and to delete the unwanted text (headings/footers/ads/boxes), etc.

[Edited at 2015-07-02 17:07 GMT]

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:20
English to Spanish
Jul 2, 2015

[Edited at 2015-07-02 20:24 GMT]

Jeff Whittaker
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Which browser are you using? Jul 2, 2015

Doesn't work in Firefox. Are you using Explorer? And if I have to do this for a 100 threads, it will take forever.

Miguel Carmona wrote:

Jeff,

In the meantime, while ProZ implements this request (it has only been 8 years, do not hold your breath), here is a workaround:

[Edited at 2015-07-02 19:27 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
My thread downloader still works Jul 2, 2015

Jeff Whittaker wrote:
I've tried copy and paste and text versions, but it takes a lot of time to format and to delete the unwanted text (headings/footers/ads/boxes), etc.

My thread downloader still works:
http://leuce.com/autoit/prozthreaddownloader.zip
and it does remove some of the fluff. Open the resultant HTML file in a browser.

If you want to open the HTML file in MS Word before you print it, better use my updated version (might not actually work for you):
http://wikisend.com/download/246150/prozthreaddownloader_v03.zip

Unfortunately this script only works if you download an entire thread, and not just a single page from a thread. I used this script in the days when the "native language" thread was over 100 pages long and I wanted to read the entire thread in a single file.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Chrome has an add-on that might be useful Jul 2, 2015

Jeff Whittaker wrote:
Doesn't work in Firefox.

If you install the Table Capture add-on in Chrome, it works in Chrome. It creates a button in your URL field. It lists all the tables in the page, and the table you're interested in is called "standard". Then click on the corresponding "To Google Doc" link (you must be signed in to Google Docs). This works for one page, but I'm not sure if it's "clean" enough.

The TableTools2 add-on in Firefox would have been useful as well, but it doesn't work in the latest version of Firefox. The Print Edit add-on in Firefox is also useful for deleting elements off the page before printing it, but it doesn't save you any time.

Jeff Whittaker
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. I will give that a try Jul 2, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

My thread downloader still works:
http://leuce.com/autoit/prozthreaddownloader.zip
and it does remove some of the fluff. Open the resultant HTML file in a browser.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Printer friendly versions of forum threads?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »