Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6]
Andrew Morris of the ProZ.com team is airing personal views on a variety of subjects (Staff: 'yes')
Thread poster: Fiona Grace Peterson
Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:50
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Community is a win-win Apr 26, 2019

Dear Andrew,

I like the new label, it infuses a sense of community (not that I have anything against "staff" labels, I would and could not, having been around for something like forever and knowing many staff members personally - and I call some of them my friends together with quite a number of members). This doesn't mean that a community agrees on all subjects or is of one mind at all times, especially here, it (we)
... See more
Dear Andrew,

I like the new label, it infuses a sense of community (not that I have anything against "staff" labels, I would and could not, having been around for something like forever and knowing many staff members personally - and I call some of them my friends together with quite a number of members). This doesn't mean that a community agrees on all subjects or is of one mind at all times, especially here, it (we) can be very vocal, criticism-oriented and express our preferences bluntly (I am not into aggressions, as I do believe that aggressions arise from lack of arguments). That's for sure, but rules are in place to allow a civil time together.

We have come a long way and to understand the present we have to know the past, and well. Having served as a moderator of old times, for nine years, (yep, that long) I have grown along with this site and its community, so I do not like to read it labeled other than as the *ProZ.com community*. It is unique, with all its (our) positive and negative sides - as Giovanni wrote, also grumpy I do not want to be educated, especially at my not young age, I dare say most colleagues here do not wish that, too, but I certainly do wish to learn from others and share the little I have experienced over the years in this business (won't tell how many years or I'd be reminded of gosh how old I became) at eye level.

FB is not my cup of tea (for a variety of personal reasons, amog them lack of time, feel of platform for all and not for professions), so I hope that that group won't detract from the site forums which, in turn, are very much my cup of tea. Even if I rarely post actively, this site is one of my sources.

Giuliana
Collapse

Andrew Morris

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 04:50
SITE FOUNDER
Andrew's role Apr 26, 2019

Robert Forstag wrote:

I appreciate Andrew’s apology, but I also have to say that I think that the idea of proz.com embedding a paid staff member within the forums for the purpose of steering conversations in a particular desired direction is itself fundamentally flawed, and really ought to be abandoned forthwith.

Hi Robert.

You've got the wrong idea.

Andrew is an experienced and successful translator (and I suppose you could say, LSP owner), who in my observation, (after several years of working together), is generous and creative, and cares a lot about his fellow language professionals. In an effective and distinctive way -- mostly by sharing his experiences -- Andrew has helped hundreds and probably thousands of people to gain the know-how and/or courage to enter, or move to the next level in, freelance translation or interpreting careers.

In effect, Andrew has been doing the ProZ.com mission, successfully, in a completely different way: he empowers people by sharing his stories and by building positive, supportive communities. (He might put that differently, this is just me describing what I perceive to be his approach.)

I've hired him -- in an initial 3-month engagement -- to bring that approach to ProZ.com's members. I believe it could be complementary to our approach of providing "tools and opportunities".

Steering forum conversations, or policing them, is not in his job description.

I'm closing this thread.

Andrew Morris
Elizabeth Tamblin
CEngelhardt
Andrea Sacchi

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Andrew Morris of the ProZ.com team is airing personal views on a variety of subjects (Staff: 'yes')

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »