Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Make "inclusive" format available to non-staff topic starters? (+ What poster info to show?)
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:55
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Also... Jun 2, 2018

if we really have to let's leave the choice to the topic starter... and I'd like to see the photo and the language pair...

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:55
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Flawed thinking Jun 3, 2018

Henry Dotterer wrote:
Basically, in the interest of making it easier for a large number of people to weigh in and have their input considered, the format asks posters to limit the length and number of their contributions. That way, the thinking goes, everyone interested may be able to get a post in.

That is flawed logic. Everyone can always get "a post in". Limiting the number of posts simply means that people can only participate at the start of the discussion but not later on, when the discussion has developed. In fact, you may end up discouraging people from pitching in early.

I like what I perceive to be the effect of this format on the discussion; within two forum "pages", as many as twenty different posters had shared their thoughts in a concise manner.

That is just self-fulfilling prophesy. Of course the number of different people per page is going to higher if there is going to be a limit on the number of posts per person.

And yes, we will implement an "agree" option soon.

It's tempting to think that by limiting the post length, people will reduce the number of points they make in the post, which would make an "agree" option possible.

But I suspect people who want to make more than one point will still make them, albeit in a more concise way, so unless the "agree" feature can somehow ask the user each time "what exactly do you agree with", the "agree" feature will soon mean just as much as the "like" feature on other platforms... in other words, instead of "I agree with what was said", it'll simply come to mean "I confirm that I have seen this".

Alison MacG
Alison MacG  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:55
German to English
+ ...
Poster details and vetting Jun 4, 2018

It seems to me that providing only the name of the poster will make it less likely than ever that anyone will read or even notice those posts that appear only with often considerable delay due to vetting. With none of the usual possible clues, such as non-member status or the identity verified tick, there is nothing to alert us to earlier posts that may not have been visible the last time we viewed the thread. That doesn't seem very inclusive to me (although I agree with the others who have alre... See more
It seems to me that providing only the name of the poster will make it less likely than ever that anyone will read or even notice those posts that appear only with often considerable delay due to vetting. With none of the usual possible clues, such as non-member status or the identity verified tick, there is nothing to alert us to earlier posts that may not have been visible the last time we viewed the thread. That doesn't seem very inclusive to me (although I agree with the others who have already said that inclusive is a misleading name for this particular format).Collapse

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 19:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
Perverse communication strategy Jun 4, 2018

I posted in the thread cited by Henry: https://www.proz.com/topic/325807

In my second post there (at which time I had seen no mention of the “2 post” limit) I made some observations to which Henry responded suggesting they had been helpful to him. I read his response as an invitation to share further what he called my “experience in these sorts of things”.

I was happy
... See more
I posted in the thread cited by Henry: https://www.proz.com/topic/325807

In my second post there (at which time I had seen no mention of the “2 post” limit) I made some observations to which Henry responded suggesting they had been helpful to him. I read his response as an invitation to share further what he called my “experience in these sorts of things”.

I was happy to share my experience, so (as usual, since I dislike typing directly into any forum owing to a very poor web connection here) I drafted a new post in Word, even before hitting the “quote” button under Henry’s post.

My post would not meaningfully fit into 300 words – I needed 500 words to do it ‘justice’ (to the point that I wouldn’t need to be asked for yet more clarification afterwards). I whittled it down to 350, but beyond that it became unintelligible – even to myself. No matter, I decided to simply amputate the last paragraph (the ‘punch line’).

But, lo and behold, when I went to copy-paste my half-mangled post into the forum I was blocked by the hitherto unknown “2 post” limit. 15 minutes of my life wasted – for nothing more worthwhile that a further dollop of frustration while trying to help others.

Henry, if you want to benefit from our experience in topics of interest to you, you should avoid shooting yourself in the foot. Above all, if you really want us to share our opinions about site features you would do well to show yourself as being open to receiving them in the spirit in which they are offered.

In view of the above, I find the ill-named “inclusive” forum format is in reality “exclusive” of meaningful professional communication.

RL
Collapse

ibz

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Make "inclusive" format available to non-staff topic starters? (+ What poster info to show?)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »