http://www.proz.com/dashboard/forum/?sp_forum_mode=homepage_forums

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:18
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Not for me May 5, 2014

Thanks Jeff and Angie but as I posted yesterday, I tried that - without success. Not to worry. I shall carry on receiving notifications about forums that don't interest me. I have bigger things to worry about

[Edited at 2014-05-05 14:04 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:18
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Me neither May 5, 2014

Tom in London wrote:

Thanks Jeff and Angie but as I posted yesterday, I tried that - without success. Not to worry. I shall carry on receiving notifications about forums that don't interest me. I have bigger things to worry about

I cleared all my settings, saved, then reconfigured all the ones I wanted to see, i.e. only WordFast on CAT tools, saved... to no avail.

I still see all that e-moaning, e-grumbling, and e-praying about Trados not working properly. It must come from some e-shrine, kept by a number of translation agencies where "must have Trados" is the one and only requirement for translators to be given the time of the day or anything else.

As we say in Brazil, "sleep with a noise like that!"

Andrea Muller (X)
Andrea Muller (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
I can control homepage forums but not most recent posts May 5, 2014

Angie, for me your suggestions works only for the "homepage forum", which displays about 10 - 12 threads in the areas I selected. But if want to see a longer list and click on "most recent posts", I get lots of unwanted categories, including Trados. Does anyone know a way of getting a longer list with just my homepage forum categories?

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:18
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Hello Andrea May 6, 2014

Andrea Muller wrote:

Angie, for me your suggestions works only for the "homepage forum", which displays about 10 - 12 threads in the areas I selected. But if want to see a longer list and click on "most recent posts", I get lots of unwanted categories, including Trados. Does anyone know a way of getting a longer list with just my homepage forum categories?

In this case I think a support ticket could solve the mistery

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:18
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
At last the terminology has been clarified May 6, 2014

Andrea Muller wrote:

Now I understand what folks here mean by "home page". That has been working for me always. As I said, the problem is is the "most recent posts" page (which I thought was the forum "home page").

Note that this doesn't happen in other categories. For instance, I have selected five "language-specific" forums, including all languages I speak, in spite of not translating three of them. I never saw any forum messages in any other than these five languages on the "most recent posts" page, so I'm not inventing any radically new feature, merely suggesting Proz to implement the same subroutine for CAT tool-specific forums, as they already have in place for language-specific forums since forever.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
What is a home page? May 6, 2014

All websites have a home page.

Only one.

For Proz.com, it's this:

http://www.proz.com

NOTHING ELSE anywhere on Proz.com should be referred to as the "home page".

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
How I find it May 6, 2014

On every page of this website you'll see a sort of menu bar near the top of the page, with menus called:
Home Terminology Jobs & directories .... About
Hover over "Home" on that bar and then click on
My ProZ.com home
in the menu that drops down when you hover.
One of the tables on the resulting page (the third in my case) is headed "Recent topics in translator forums" and there's a hyperlink just under that heading, called "homepage forum settings".
(Even
... See more
On every page of this website you'll see a sort of menu bar near the top of the page, with menus called:
Home Terminology Jobs & directories .... About
Hover over "Home" on that bar and then click on
My ProZ.com home
in the menu that drops down when you hover.
One of the tables on the resulting page (the third in my case) is headed "Recent topics in translator forums" and there's a hyperlink just under that heading, called "homepage forum settings".
(Even if Tom no longer needs this, it might be useful to somebody else.)
Oliver
Collapse

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
When Home page = Web site May 6, 2014

Tom in London wrote:
All websites have a home page.
Only one.
For Proz.com, it's this:

http://www.proz.com

NOTHING ELSE anywhere on Proz.com should be referred to as the "home page".

That is correct, but German-speaking Swiss often use the term "home page" when they mean what is correctly called "web site" (i.e. lots of pages). They should really call it Website, or Internetpräsenz or Webangebot. In German, the term for the English term "home page" is "Startseite".
This may be an example (one among many) of terms borrowed from langauge A by users of language B but used with a meaning different from the meaning in language A - yet another entry in the lists of "faux amis".

Oliver

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hiding forums on "most recent posts"

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »