Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:08
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Feb 24, 2014

Hello everyone

Is there a way that I can mark all forums as read (or all threads in a sub-forum), so that they show up with yellow folders next time I visit the page, if no new posts have been made?

At the moment the red folder icon is used for threads with "recent" posts, regardless of whether I have seen those posts. I often find that I visit a thread several times, only to discover that no new posts have been made, and that is a time-waster. Even if I remember who
... See more
Hello everyone

Is there a way that I can mark all forums as read (or all threads in a sub-forum), so that they show up with yellow folders next time I visit the page, if no new posts have been made?

At the moment the red folder icon is used for threads with "recent" posts, regardless of whether I have seen those posts. I often find that I visit a thread several times, only to discover that no new posts have been made, and that is a time-waster. Even if I remember who the last poster was, I can't remember the post count off the top of my head, to know whether new posts have been made.

Many forums on the internet have a link somewhere that reads e.g. "Mark forum as read", which will mark all posts and threads as having been read, so you don't visit those pages again unless there is new content.

Thanks
Samuel

== Added:

Yes, I know that at the bottom of that page it says:

...but that is not true. The red folders don't become yellow if I visit the page twice in quick succession. The red folder doesn't mean "New posts since your last visit" but rather something like "New posts since we last reset the secret timer".

[Edited at 2014-02-24 07:09 GMT]
Collapse

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:08
Portuguese to English
+ ...
It would also be helpful Feb 24, 2014

to have a way to mark all read replies in a thread. Maybe they can just appear in a different background colour?

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Seconded Feb 24, 2014

I agree that this is one of the things missing from the forum side of ProZ,com. I can't believe how antiquated it is. None of the features you see elsewhere have been incorporated. Every time I want to put a word in bold, or worse in quoted form, I sigh: where are the buttons to process highlighted text?

Turning notifications on should be a one-click option when you yourself post, and you should be able to view a list that excludes threads where you've viewed all available content,
... See more
I agree that this is one of the things missing from the forum side of ProZ,com. I can't believe how antiquated it is. None of the features you see elsewhere have been incorporated. Every time I want to put a word in bold, or worse in quoted form, I sigh: where are the buttons to process highlighted text?

Turning notifications on should be a one-click option when you yourself post, and you should be able to view a list that excludes threads where you've viewed all available content, plus a function to mark all threads as read to clear out that list.

I think some of our money should be spent on bringing the site into the 21st century.

Edited to add that sticking the original post at the top of the page would be so useful in preventing threads losing their way. So often, people here only reply to the last post once the thread goes onto two pages.

[Edited at 2014-02-24 08:50 GMT]
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Seconded Feb 24, 2014

Turning notifications on should be a one-click option when you yourself post, and you should be able to view a list that excludes threads where you've viewed all available content,
... See more

Turning notifications on should be a one-click option when you yourself post, and you should be able to view a list that excludes threads where you've viewed all available content, plus a function to mark all threads as read to clear out that list.

I think some of our money should be spent on bringing the site into the 21st century.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to mark forums as read

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »