FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:56
English to Hungarian
+ ...
funky spaces Apr 24, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

FarkasAndras wrote:

BTW Paul, can you ask the developers to fix spaces in the PDF import filter? Studio tries to get word spacing "right" by entering two spaces and specific-width (extra narrow and extra wide) spaces between words. This is the source of 90% of surplus tags in my pdf files, and it should be trivially easy to fix in the import filters. In running text, anything between certain limits should be treated as a normal single space.

1. This doesn't happen with every file does it?
2. Can you give me a sample I can use to repro and we'll put a fix into the works

Indeed, it doesn't happen with every file. As luck would have it, it recently happened with a confidential file, while of course everything went smoothly with a pdf file that's in the public domain...
So I can't share the original PDF, but here's what the end result looks like in Studio:

Sample from Word document:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16377950/spaces.doc

Even if SDL can't fix the converter itself, it should be able to simply convert all specific-width spaces to normal spaces internally in pdf.sdlxliff files and get rid of this mess. I can't imagine any circumstances where 0.15 width spaces would be correctly recognized/useful/necessary so you can nuke them all without collateral damage.
It is possible to fix this by converting all spaces to normal in Word, but it's a pain.

[Edited at 2012-04-24 07:52 GMT]

Secilia Njau
Secilia Njau  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:56
English to Swahili
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 28, 2012

I would like to thank you all for your time for this forum, I have gain a lot from your discussion.

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
:) Nov 14, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

You'd be surprised how many translators have told me they only purchased Studio so they could handle pdf files..!

And are they happy with the results...? I'm with Henning on this, a complex PDF is a disaster waiting to happen

Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
Jesus... Aug 16, 2018

Jesus $(%*#$% Christ, we're in 2018 and they STILL haven't fixed the double-space after PDF conversion problem. This AGAIN confirms my theory that SDL has not really been dealing with any actual bug fixing since… I don't know when.

This is so dismaying seeing software developers just not giving a toss about quality and reliability problems. Happens more and more often these days.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do we translate PDF with SDL Trados 2011

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »