A new "Translation Workspace" trying to fetch proz.com user's passwords?
Thread poster: Renvi Ulrich
Renvi Ulrich
Renvi Ulrich  Identity Verified
Cameroon
Local time: 17:20
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
Nov 30, 2020

Hi everyone,

I recently received a message from a company called OneDocument, who present themselves as "managing language-related jobs in a translation center powered by ProZ.com".

When I clicked on the buttont to know more about their offer, they asked me to sign-in with my proz.com credentials. When I took a close look at my browser's address bar, I saw that the page where they want me to enter my password is at the
... See more
Hi everyone,

I recently received a message from a company called OneDocument, who present themselves as "managing language-related jobs in a translation center powered by ProZ.com".

When I clicked on the buttont to know more about their offer, they asked me to sign-in with my proz.com credentials. When I took a close look at my browser's address bar, I saw that the page where they want me to enter my password is at the address https://onedocument.translationcenter.org/workspace/, nothing to do with proz.com or any of it's subdomains.

Have any of you receive such an invitation? Do you know if proz.com endorses OneDocument? Whatever the case, the community needs to be alerted, as countles confidential infos may leak through such practices.

[Edited at 2020-11-30 14:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-11-30 14:59 GMT]
Collapse

Dalia Nour

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
And the emails keep on coming Nov 30, 2020

I have received these messages as well. In the first email they required me to sign up at their workspace in order to receive jobs. Well, I never registered on their site, but keep getting job offers with as little information as possible provided. They state the number of words and the language pair. No fields of expertise, no additional information. Requesting any additional information via email is impossible.

The only means of contact is to register on their site, so I've decide
... See more
I have received these messages as well. In the first email they required me to sign up at their workspace in order to receive jobs. Well, I never registered on their site, but keep getting job offers with as little information as possible provided. They state the number of words and the language pair. No fields of expertise, no additional information. Requesting any additional information via email is impossible.

The only means of contact is to register on their site, so I've decided to let it pass.
Collapse

Dalia Nour

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:20
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Renvi Nov 30, 2020

Have you seen this thread?

https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_job_systems/314639-onedocument_translation_workspace_powered_by_proz.html

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Renvi Nov 30, 2020

Renvi Ulrich wrote:
I saw that the page where they want me to enter my password is at the address https://onedocument.translationcenter.org/workspace/ ...

According to both Sheila (not staff) and Enrique (not indicated as staff), this domain does belong to ProZ.com. See also: https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_job_systems/315172-translation_center_log_in_and_other_issues.html

However, I agree with you that something is fishy.

Capture-1

(and if you click the link to the profile, it comes up as "Not found" on the ProZ.com web site)

Dalia Nour

Renvi Ulrich
Renvi Ulrich  Identity Verified
Cameroon
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Real doubt on their practices Nov 30, 2020

Thanks for sharing your experience Thayenga,
I noticed that they are kind of evasive too...
The most annoying part is that they send you "job offers" whether you decide to subscribe or not.
Strange...

Thayenga wrote:

The only means of contact is to register on their site, so I've decided to let it pass.

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Same here Nov 30, 2020

I got these messages as well even though I never signed up with OneDocument Workspace. Really annoying! One job was for two words ... (no joke).
I then sent a message using the support link on their website and asking them to immediately remove my address. This worked. Maybe you can try this?

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 12:20
Member (2011)
English to German
@Renvi Nov 30, 2020

Renvi Ulrich wrote:

Have any of you receive such an invitation?

I have also been contacted by OneDocument. You can find this company on the ProZ.com Blue Board: https://www.proz.com/blueboard/8655

And, this subject is not new. Jo Mcdonald asked about the OneDocument Translation Workspace in 2017: https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_job_systems/314639-onedocument_translation_workspace_powered_by_proz.html

I couldn't find any other information. Apparently, there are not many companies that use this translation workspace.

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 18:20
Greek to English
Seem to have stoppped Dec 1, 2020

ibz wrote:

I got these messages as well even though I never signed up with OneDocument Workspace. Really annoying!

I also received some of these unsolicited and unwelcome mails. Direct requests for them to stop had no effect, so I complained to ProZ staff. I was assured last July that "[my] profile has been removed from OneDocument Workspace" and since then I haven't had any more of them.

Dalia Nour

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 00:20
Chinese to English
+ ...
Treat it as a scam Dec 1, 2020

It's exactly what it deserves given how it runs in the face of proz's scam detection guidelines.

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
What do you say, ProZ? Mar 8, 2021

I received the same offer from OneDocument, the sender being [email protected].

I'd be very curious to know how these people use a mailbox within the proz.com domain, and how they know my username (but not my password) and are able to link it with my real name.

Anybody at ProZ can please clarify?

[Edited at 2021-03-08 17:16 GMT]

Angie Garbarino
Jorge Payan

Sarah Maidstone
Sarah Maidstone  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2020)
German to English
+ ...
I think it might be genuine... Mar 8, 2021

... I've also had some of these emails, including once on a very quiet day. So I accepted a small job and will wait and see if payment comes through as expected (it's not due yet). It was small enough that it won't bankrupt me if it doesn't, but the process seemed genuine, if rather impersonal. The job itself was interesting enough, too.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A new "Translation Workspace" trying to fetch proz.com user's passwords?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »