Thread poster: Cevdet Yilmaz
Vanessa Horiuchi
Vanessa Horiuchi
Canada
Local time: 05:48
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thanks for warning about Echlance May 5, 2021

I got the same reply from a scammer from Echlance, as you mentioned in your posts, and if I hadn't read them, I might be very frustrated right now.

I hope all the translators keep looking for reviews before going to fake companies.

PAULNYAMBIO

Carlos Sanmiguel
Carlos Sanmiguel  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 04:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
Now ABR Translators scam Jun 3, 2021

Hi,

Same experience here this week. I replied to an ad at Translatorsbase.com by Ireneblue, and a couple of days later they replied saying that the project was already assigned, and that there was a job vacancy at her company. Then included a pin code and a WhatsApp number, supposedly HR Supervisor. ABR Translators from Belarus. Their website also looks a fake.

Same modus operandi, asked some documents, then .doc file with an "interview", offering US$ 0.2 per word... Cr
... See more
Hi,

Same experience here this week. I replied to an ad at Translatorsbase.com by Ireneblue, and a couple of days later they replied saying that the project was already assigned, and that there was a job vacancy at her company. Then included a pin code and a WhatsApp number, supposedly HR Supervisor. ABR Translators from Belarus. Their website also looks a fake.

Same modus operandi, asked some documents, then .doc file with an "interview", offering US$ 0.2 per word... Crazy, isn't it? I suspected but wanted to know how far was it going, so they sent me a Bitcoin related file via Google Docs to translate. No PO, no delivery format preferences, no word count... I did it just for fun, and also found the file already translated (poorly translated) at ClubEnsayos.com. They also asked me to add some people to Google hangouts.

I sent the translation, and they sent me 2 more files, I asked for the PO and payment date and method. Their reply: "Please do that if you want to be paid".

After that I looked online for ABR Translators Scam, and also Echlance. No results for ABR scam, but Echlance brought me here.

I hope it helps others to avoid this scam.
Collapse

Roselyne Sim
PAULNYAMBIO

Roselyne Sim
Roselyne Sim
Spain
French to English
+ ...
Exactly the same thing that happened to me today. I can't believe this Aug 5, 2021

Carlos Sanmiguel wrote:

Hi,

Same modus operandi, asked some documents, then .doc file with an "interview", offering US$ 0.2 per word... Crazy, isn't it? I suspected but wanted to know how far was it going, so they sent me a Bitcoin related file via Google Docs to translate. No PO, no delivery format preferences, no word count... I did it just for fun, and also found the file already translated (poorly translated) at ClubEnsayos.com. They also asked me to add some people to Google hangouts.

I sent the translation, and they sent me 2 more files, I asked for the PO and payment date and method. Their reply: "Please do that if you want to be paid".

After that I looked online for ABR Translators Scam, and also Echlance. No results for ABR scam, but Echlance brought me here.

I hope it helps others to avoid this scam.

PAULNYAMBIO

yuripomps
yuripomps
Brazil
same with ABR TRANSLATIONS Sep 14, 2021

Cevdet Yilmaz wrote:

Fake company “Free Works” http://freeworks-co.com/ and email [email protected] finds you from freelancer platforms, says that recruits translators, makes a test and give you some work, but says that it will be paid only over pay-secured again fake payment platform, https://pay-secured.com/ due to restrictions in Belarus. You work for a week and earn 2500 $, however, in order to receive your payment you need to upgrade your wallet on Pay-secured and this is 100 $. If you think I can pay 100$ to take the 2500$ you are mistaken and also you provide your credit card information, which may cause you a bigger loss. When you refuse to pay this amount and ask for other payment methods, they don’t contact you again and disappear.

[Edited at 2020-11-23 10:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-11-23 10:51 GMT]

PAULNYAMBIO

Riccardo Cristiani
Riccardo Cristiani  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:48
English to Italian
big scammers Mar 23, 2022

Hello,

These are big scammers! I was contacted through People Per Hour. Same procedure. They're still out there.

Ariel Lopez
Ariel Lopez
Mexico
Local time: 03:48
French to Spanish
+ ...
Now they're called WilliamBooks.com Apr 6, 2022

Same thing happened to me this week, since the very beginning I thought it was a scam but as I couldn't find any bad comments about the website, I decided to give it a try. (I found those bad comments later, the links are further down)

Same modus operandi, they contact you through a Freelance site, they hire you immediately (for me it was Mr. Darius), send you about 3 documents to translate, the rate is $0.2 USD per word (about 6 times the average rate, suspicious), they will pay yo
... See more
Same thing happened to me this week, since the very beginning I thought it was a scam but as I couldn't find any bad comments about the website, I decided to give it a try. (I found those bad comments later, the links are further down)

Same modus operandi, they contact you through a Freelance site, they hire you immediately (for me it was Mr. Darius), send you about 3 documents to translate, the rate is $0.2 USD per word (about 6 times the average rate, suspicious), they will pay you weekly and (you calculate yourself) you'll receive between $2000 and $2500 in 1 week.

Here is where the magic happens, they tell you that to get paid you need to create an account with a rather unknown payment site similar to PayPal (for me it was safe-transacts.com) because the restrictions their country have over the mainstream sites prevent them from using things like PayPal, Payoneer, etc. However, this account has a limit of $2000, just under what you are expecting to receive, and to upgrade your account you'll have to pay at least $100. DON'T DO IT, that's the scam. The owner of the translation site and of the payment site are the same person.

You can check the comments here
https://www.scamadviser.com/fr/verifier-site/safe-transacts.com
https://www.scamadviser.com/fr/verifier-site/williambooks.com

Another thing they do is that they send you a list of email addresses of your fellow translators, who you have to contact because they'll help you if questions arise. They will all answer saying they've been working with the company for months or years, and they’re very happy. They're obviously fake people.

Other names they've used:
- William Books
- Freeworks
- ABR Translation
- Echlance
- Mainlanche
- Divnowriters
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scammers Free Works and pay-secured

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »