Clare Wilcox  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:23
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Contacted Kristen Pecci Jul 17, 2020

[quote]Teresa Johnson wrote:

Has anyone actually been able to contact the real person to let them know that someone is posing as her? (End quote)

I did, through LinkedIn, and she eventually replied but gave no information or explanation (not that she would have any). But yes, she knows.

While this scam is a timewaster, it also seems to have been a useful education for some of us, certainly for me.

Alexander Somin
Alexander Somin
Local time: 12:53
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
A "penguin" or a "duck"? Jul 18, 2020

https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/332845-new_scam_penguin_random_house.html

Stanley Malinowitz
Stanley Malinowitz
United States
Local time: 05:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
I got a fake B&N offer, similar to what others have described Jul 19, 2020

I got an offer on Freelancer, which I cancelled after two weeks, as all I got were scams. Most are obvious from the start, but this one sounded good (maybe because I'm new at this). The message said it was from Barnes and Noble, to translate ebooks, and the guy had a generic-sounding English name. He asked me to download Telegram for a chat interview. I did about a 50-minute written chat interview, careful not to give any personal information not already on my CV (now I'm worried because some of... See more
I got an offer on Freelancer, which I cancelled after two weeks, as all I got were scams. Most are obvious from the start, but this one sounded good (maybe because I'm new at this). The message said it was from Barnes and Noble, to translate ebooks, and the guy had a generic-sounding English name. He asked me to download Telegram for a chat interview. I did about a 50-minute written chat interview, careful not to give any personal information not already on my CV (now I'm worried because some of the comments on this thread seem to say they can get information through these chat sites, and I've never heard of Telegram before). Finally I asked him to send something official so I'd know it was real, and he said they would hire me and send me some papers the next day. I asked for a link to the division, and that was the last I heard from him. Now I'm embarrassed I let it go that far, though I think I avoided the worst (bank information, I suppose). Sounds similar to what others have talked about, except a different pretend publishing company.Collapse

Elizabeth Gloveri
Elizabeth Gloveri
United States
I'm not lucky for an interview Jan 31, 2021

If you're not lucky right now, I'm sure you'll be lucky another time. The main thing is that you like the job you are applying for, and you, in turn, treat it with diligence. Well, of course, the most important thing is to pass a high-quality interview. Behave with restraint and confidence. After the interview, I recommend that you send thank-you letters to the company, ... See more
If you're not lucky right now, I'm sure you'll be lucky another time. The main thing is that you like the job you are applying for, and you, in turn, treat it with diligence. Well, of course, the most important thing is to pass a high-quality interview. Behave with restraint and confidence. After the interview, I recommend that you send thank-you letters to the company, as a sign of respect and gratitude that they have accepted to test your knowledge and skills. If you don't know how to write it, these guys can help you compose the text.

[Edited at 2021-01-31 19:33 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-01-31 19:34 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Questionable full-time job offer with prominent publisher

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »