Instaspeakers - a "Company" collecting sensitive info (Social Security No, Bank account data)
Thread poster: Gabriella Vento
Gabriella Vento
Gabriella Vento  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:41
Member (2015)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jun 10, 2019

I got an email from this company, Instaspeakers.com, offering interpretation via an application for cell phones. I did, what a should have not - followed the link to a quite professional looking website and an application form for the future interpreters. It was constructed, so you could not proceed to the next segment without filling all data. After the basics, SSN and bank info followed.
At the bank info I finally woke up, stopped, and checked the company info on the bottom of the page:
... See more
I got an email from this company, Instaspeakers.com, offering interpretation via an application for cell phones. I did, what a should have not - followed the link to a quite professional looking website and an application form for the future interpreters. It was constructed, so you could not proceed to the next segment without filling all data. After the basics, SSN and bank info followed.
At the bank info I finally woke up, stopped, and checked the company info on the bottom of the page: it gave a mailing address in Wilmongton, Delaware - which address on the map proved to be a Post Office.
A few days later another email followed, urging me to finish the sign up process, stating that "they have received lots of questions if they are a scam, but they are not"...
Today, after another urging email I responded with a few questions:
"- Is your company registered, and in good standing?
- Does your company have a physical address, or just the mailbox in the post office?
- What gives you the right to collect sensitive information (SSN, bank account data)
from private parties, who you dont have any legal agreement with?
(The "Terms and conditions" on th website refers to the website itself, not the future
interpretation services, it is not valid anyway without address of the company
headquarters.)
- What is the insurance that these data will be stored, handled and used properly?

Please, let me know."

Dear colleagues, what is your opinion on all this?
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:41
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Gabriella Jun 11, 2019

They have been contacting me for a while but translator apps is not my cup of tea and their mails go directly to the bin…

finnword1
Philippe Etienne
Adam Warren

anne cook (X)
anne cook (X)
United States
Local time: 10:41
American Sign Language to English
+ ...
Instaspeakers Jun 14, 2019

I receive emails from this company. I have looked them up- a Delaware based company in existence for only 3 months. NO additional info. The form I began to fill out asks for my SS#, which is when I stopped. I cannot even find their website. I am assuming a scam??

Yolanda Broad

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:41
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Post about Instaspeaker Jun 20, 2019

In About Translation I posted this article on Instaspeakers: Instaspekers: even if it were legitimate, too dangerous to be trusted?

I also wrote to them to ask for comments on my article, but they have not responded. Draw your own con
... See more
In About Translation I posted this article on Instaspeakers: Instaspekers: even if it were legitimate, too dangerous to be trusted?

I also wrote to them to ask for comments on my article, but they have not responded. Draw your own conclusions, but I would steer clear of them: providing them with your personal ID, SSN and bank information is an unacceptable risk, in my opinion. Even if they are legitimate, what if they get hacked? The hackers would have all the information they need to steal your ID.
Collapse

Adam Warren

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:41
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Theirs is not a new idea, actually Jun 20, 2019

I saw an episode of Shark Tank a few months ago, where a couple of guys were pitching a mobile interpretation app. So, when I received the email(s) from Instaspeakers, I thought it was them.
As it turns out, no, this episode was from 2014 (it was an older replay, apparently), and that company is called VerbalizeIt.
Here is the episode,
... See more
I saw an episode of Shark Tank a few months ago, where a couple of guys were pitching a mobile interpretation app. So, when I received the email(s) from Instaspeakers, I thought it was them.
As it turns out, no, this episode was from 2014 (it was an older replay, apparently), and that company is called VerbalizeIt.
Here is the episode, if you are interested:
https://www.verbalizeit.com/verbalizeit-shark-tank/
They seem to be a separate company.
So, the idea is not new, even though Instaspreakers makes it sound like it is.

[Edited at 2019-06-20 20:39 GMT]
Collapse

Lisa Grayson
Lisa Grayson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
Instaspeakers with new fake Illinois address Aug 11, 2019

I received a "Join Our Team" e-mail from Instaspeakers with a downtown Chicago phone number listed and an address of 1921 Ridge Road, Homewood, Illinois. That's a US Post Office. The e-mail text is in decent US English, unlike similar scammers, and even offers an explanation about why they need a translator's Social Security Number:

***Social Security Number: We have researched and tried to figure out ways that you do not have to provide your social security number, however, due to
... See more
I received a "Join Our Team" e-mail from Instaspeakers with a downtown Chicago phone number listed and an address of 1921 Ridge Road, Homewood, Illinois. That's a US Post Office. The e-mail text is in decent US English, unlike similar scammers, and even offers an explanation about why they need a translator's Social Security Number:

***Social Security Number: We have researched and tried to figure out ways that you do not have to provide your social security number, however, due to IRS regulations regarding issuance of 1099s, we have to have your social security number. There is no way around this, and no exceptions will be made. We will not accept EIN numbers either.***

Anyone who has no company history, only a P.O. Box, and wants your bank account information and Social Security Number is surely running a scam. Beware!

[Edited at 2019-08-11 23:29 GMT]
Collapse

Gabriella Vento
Liviu-Lee Roth

Gloria Hernández
Gloria Hernández  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:41
English to Spanish
Persistent!! Aug 19, 2019

This entity is persistent!! They don't give up! They keep sending "job offerings" and adding or changing to the text as they see necessary!! Beware!

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:41
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Sensitive information Aug 20, 2019

Lisa Grayson wrote:
Anyone who has no company history, only a P.O. Box, and wants your bank account information and Social Security Number is surely running a scam. Beware!

[Edited at 2019-08-11 23:29 GMT]

Precisely for this reason, to avoid data theft, I always state that all relevant information, excluding SSN, will be on my first invoice.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Instaspeakers - a "Company" collecting sensitive info (Social Security No, Bank account data)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »