Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Fraudulent Carl Zeiss employment offer (mod.: Nigerian scam)
Thread poster: Tomasz Poplawski
Lucy Matticoli-Mason
Lucy Matticoli-Mason
United States
Local time: 02:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
I just received a translator job offer from them (Feb 3 2019) Feb 4, 2019

THANK YOU for this post! Hopefully it will save people from falling prey to these scammers. It sure helped me! I received an email dated Feb 3, 2019 for a translation job from "Company: Carl Zeiss, Inc. by Angelika Franzke, Chairwoman of the Employee Representative Council of Carl Zeiss AG." I noticed suspicious info in the email, for example: translator's responsibilities include ensuring that the document is translated faithfully into the source language [it should be target language], they ... See more
THANK YOU for this post! Hopefully it will save people from falling prey to these scammers. It sure helped me! I received an email dated Feb 3, 2019 for a translation job from "Company: Carl Zeiss, Inc. by Angelika Franzke, Chairwoman of the Employee Representative Council of Carl Zeiss AG." I noticed suspicious info in the email, for example: translator's responsibilities include ensuring that the document is translated faithfully into the source language [it should be target language], they found me on the ATA directory but are offering me a job in languages I don't speak, the LinkedIn profile for this person exists but there is no info in it, etc. I did a quick search on line with the words 'Is Carl Zeiss, Inc. Angelika Franzke a scam' and found your post. THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!
Lucy Matticoli-Mason
Collapse

Damaris Hanley
fujitakg

Christina Siegel
Christina Siegel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:36
German to English
Same email received today! Feb 4, 2019

I'm so glad to have read this. I just received the same email from a 'Charmaine Collins'. I sent info to Zeiss. The email came from '[email protected]', so I'm sure the person will create another one similar to that.

So glad I did some research and found this because I thought it was very odd that any business would use Hangouts for interviews plus the Gmail address!

Sometimes when it sounds too good to be true, it is!

Damaris Hanley
fujitakg
Alexander Feht

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
What’s the end game? Feb 5, 2019

I received an email with the same “offer” today. Superficially, it might look legit, but I think it has “scam” written all over it. As Dan rightly points out, a large and reputable company (or a broker contracted by such a company) would probably not instruct responders to reply to an email address with a “gmail.com” domain. As Irina points out, it is most unlikely that ATA membership (i.e., “membership,” not “certification”) would be used as a definitive selection criterion ... See more
I received an email with the same “offer” today. Superficially, it might look legit, but I think it has “scam” written all over it. As Dan rightly points out, a large and reputable company (or a broker contracted by such a company) would probably not instruct responders to reply to an email address with a “gmail.com” domain. As Irina points out, it is most unlikely that ATA membership (i.e., “membership,” not “certification”) would be used as a definitive selection criterion for such an (apparently) attractive position.

But the real giveaway for me was that my language combination was not even mentioned in the message.

Still, I am glad that I came upon this thread when it started last month, as I might otherwise have begun to seriously consider the offer.

I guess my question would be: What is the end game? Is there a hefty “finders fee” that the scammers ask for after the fake interview process is complete?

[Edited at 2019-02-05 06:28 GMT]
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
IrinaN
Kevin Fulton
fujitakg

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
look at the e-mail addresses Feb 6, 2019

The real e-mail address is*** [email protected]***, while the scam points to ***[email protected]***

I sent an e-mail to the real Carl Zeiss informing them about the scam that targets the translators' community.

Stay safe,
Lee

Here is their answer received today:

Hello Liviu-Lee,

We have posted on our website a message about the fraudulent emails. Thank you fo
... See more
The real e-mail address is*** [email protected]***, while the scam points to ***[email protected]***

I sent an e-mail to the real Carl Zeiss informing them about the scam that targets the translators' community.

Stay safe,
Lee

Here is their answer received today:

Hello Liviu-Lee,

We have posted on our website a message about the fraudulent emails. Thank you for your diligence in reporting.

Best Regards,
Laurel

Laurel A Magrath
Receptionist/Sales Support Administrator

Carl Zeiss Microscopy, LLC
ZEISS Group
One Zeiss Dr
Thornwood NY 10594

[Edited at 2019-02-07 13:07 GMT]
Collapse

Damaris Hanley
João Roque Dias
Tammy Sumontha
fujitakg
Alexander Feht

Damaris Hanley
Damaris Hanley
United States
Spanish to English
Thank you so much posting this Feb 7, 2019

Thank you so much for this information. I got the email too and searched it right away. It got me to this forum. So glad I'm a member of ProZ.com!

[Edited at 2019-02-07 16:08 GMT]

fujitakg

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 04:36
English to Russian
+ ...
End game Feb 7, 2019

https://www.zeiss.com/corporate/us/careers/fraudulent-zeiss-job-postings-alert.html

***The recipients are ultimately asked to pay a fee so that their application for a fake job can be processed.***

It's not just Proz, LinkedIn and Indeed are in the same company.

Tammy Sumontha
Tammy Sumontha
United States
Local time: 02:36
English to Thai
+ ...
Thank you! Feb 8, 2019

Thank you for starting this post and for sharing! I received the same email yesterday and felt a bit odd about it from the first sentence "Your post on ATA". I have never posted anything on the ATA (if they have used "profile", it would make more sense). Searched for it and found your post right away. Thank you!!

fujitakg

Emilija Ivanovska
Emilija Ivanovska  Identity Verified
United States
English to Macedonian
+ ...
Same email sent to me today Feb 9, 2019

My interviewer was supposed to be a Gina Martins.
The email was sent by (supposedly) Angelika Franzke - email address: [email protected].

It looked fishy enough to receive an email from a reputable company on a Saturday, so the first thing I did was check here. Plus "your post on ATA" as a subject line

Be safe everyone!

fujitakg

fujitakg
fujitakg
Local time: 23:36
English to Japanese
+ ...
I was cheated... Feb 10, 2019

Hi Friends,

Everything was completely same as you experienced. It was too good to believe. I was so damn and went through the "interview" process by someone who called him/herself "Edward Lund". I believed that was true. They said I was hired, and they were going to provide a laptop computer with software. The person said s/he was going to send an electronic check so I had to deposit it to my bank. OK, Angelika sent a check called "Equipment Check" in the amount of 2950 USD. So, I w
... See more
Hi Friends,

Everything was completely same as you experienced. It was too good to believe. I was so damn and went through the "interview" process by someone who called him/herself "Edward Lund". I believed that was true. They said I was hired, and they were going to provide a laptop computer with software. The person said s/he was going to send an electronic check so I had to deposit it to my bank. OK, Angelika sent a check called "Equipment Check" in the amount of 2950 USD. So, I was totally believing the story, I deposit it to my bank account. This point is still a question that it was a bad check or not. I didn't check whether it was OK but deposited by my i-phone. Next day it was cashed. And what the con man said is I had to send it to the vendor by money order. Since it was cashed, so I followed the instruction, and went to the local post office and made money order of 2900 USD. The instruction said I had to deposit the money order to some account on Bank of America. I was so stupid and followed the instruction. Then, Edward Lund chatted that I need to deposit 2000 USD more. Then, even I noticed that it might be a scam. Today, I called my bank and explained what happened. The bank recommend me changing the account number, as I let the person my checking account number. Also, I reported this incident to FBI. I hope they go to jail soon.
Collapse

Tomasz Poplawski
Tomasz Poplawski  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A very wide-cast net Feb 10, 2019

This is a mass operation, without any record who was previously contacted, probably hitting thousands of people and hoping that 1% would go for it ... They sent me exactly the same email today - again!

fujitakg
Liviu-Lee Roth

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
as I mentioned in previous posts Feb 10, 2019

These "offers" can be bought on the "dark web" by "professional scammers". They also have a certain software that can send hundreds of thousands of spam messages a day.

As Tomas pointed out, it is enough if 1% of the targets fall for it!

I remember from years ago when I transcribed recorded communication between two scammers; one of them bragged that he was very happy when 12 people fell for his scam and sent their identification information. At that time, he sent abou
... See more
These "offers" can be bought on the "dark web" by "professional scammers". They also have a certain software that can send hundreds of thousands of spam messages a day.

As Tomas pointed out, it is enough if 1% of the targets fall for it!

I remember from years ago when I transcribed recorded communication between two scammers; one of them bragged that he was very happy when 12 people fell for his scam and sent their identification information. At that time, he sent about 300,000 messages a day.

Stay safe
Lee
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
fujitakg
Alexander Feht

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
Some most basic clues and rules Feb 12, 2019

Full-time jobs are offered through official brokers or under the "Careers" tab on company websites. There is no company in the world that would initiate full-time hiring process through mass mail to the unknown individuals. After you apply, the next message will be personal and not of a "Dear Applicant" nature.

Even though online interviews are becoming increasingly common, they are ONLY the first interviews and then, should you end up on a shortlist, you'll be invited to arrive for
... See more
Full-time jobs are offered through official brokers or under the "Careers" tab on company websites. There is no company in the world that would initiate full-time hiring process through mass mail to the unknown individuals. After you apply, the next message will be personal and not of a "Dear Applicant" nature.

Even though online interviews are becoming increasingly common, they are ONLY the first interviews and then, should you end up on a shortlist, you'll be invited to arrive for the final interview in person. No exceptions, especially for a company of Zeiss's caliber. Your potential immediate supervisor or a department manager would want to see you and talk to you before you enter the office on one sunny morning announcing "I am your new guy/gal. Where is my desk?" Wouldn't you? What happens to the basic logic?? Final full-time job offers do not come by email. NEVER! Your job offer will come by mail on the company letterhead, signed by a high-rank company official; as a minimum, such letter will follow immediately after the congratulations upon completion of the final interview, should you be that lucky. Again, no exceptions.

In our world certain in-house contracts may be confirmed by email but still, you'll have to show up in person at least once for the HR before you can say "I got the job!", even if you'd worked with them before.
Collapse

Alexandre De Sena Viegas
Alexandre De Sena Viegas  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:36
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thanks Feb 13, 2019

Hello everybody,

I just got a similar email and was thinking not to react to the proposal.
However, I was curious about the person who allegedly sent me the email - Angelika Franzke - and asking myself if she speaks German.

Than I found this post during my googling, so the case is now declared "closed"! : )

[Bearbeitet am 2019-02-13 15:17 GMT]

Kevin Blahut

Ana Sofia Correia
Ana Sofia Correia  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:36
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
Same job offer from [email protected] / Subject TRANSLATOR AND INTERPRETER JOB Feb 13, 2019

I just received the same job offer.

[Edited at 2019-02-13 15:26 GMT]

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:36
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
PLEASE provide information Feb 13, 2019

if you keep receiving this scam via ProZ.com - IP indicated in messages are needed!

Yolanda Broad

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fraudulent Carl Zeiss employment offer (mod.: Nigerian scam)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »