Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you work with a laptop or desktop computer?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 4, 2021

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you work with a laptop or desktop computer?".

This poll was originally submitted by Francesca Battaglia. View the poll results »

Maria Mohamed

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:17
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Desktop exclusively May 4, 2021

For a long time I used to travel a lot between Brussels and Lisbon (at least once a month) for family reasons and then having my laptop with me was a must, but since I moved back to Lisbon in 2016 I have been working exclusively on my desktop.

Muriel Vasconcellos

Edith van der Have
Edith van der Have
Netherlands
Local time: 10:17
Member (2016)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Laptop on top of my desk ;) May 4, 2021

I have a laptop, but in practice it's exclusively used as a desktop - not moving a single inch and connected to a docking station with keyboard, large screen, etc. Hopefully, the Covid situation will improve soon so I'll be able to attend IRL meetings with colleagues and potential clients, courses and other occasions where my laptop will be useful to take along (the reason I bought it instead of a desktop).

[Edited at 2021-05-04 09:14 GMT]

Pablo Moronta

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Used to May 4, 2021

When I was travelling a lot, I used to work on a MacBook Pro (translating on trains). When I wasn't travelling it was also my main computer, but running with the lid closed, powered from the mains, and with a big display plugged into it. This arrangement worked well. I'm not travelling much any more, but I still have the MBP. My main computer now is a souped-up MacMini on the desktop, running a big non-reflective display. It is an ideal set-up for me. The MacMini is so small that I just keep it... See more
When I was travelling a lot, I used to work on a MacBook Pro (translating on trains). When I wasn't travelling it was also my main computer, but running with the lid closed, powered from the mains, and with a big display plugged into it. This arrangement worked well. I'm not travelling much any more, but I still have the MBP. My main computer now is a souped-up MacMini on the desktop, running a big non-reflective display. It is an ideal set-up for me. The MacMini is so small that I just keep it out of the way behind the display.

[Edited at 2021-05-04 09:46 GMT]
Collapse

Giovancy Hubbard
Giovancy Hubbard
France
English to French
+ ...
Both is top May 4, 2021

As I'm working from home now, for obvious reasons, I can choose the laptop or the desktop depending on the situation. Working in bed sometimes is great too.😁

Anette Hilgendag
Danielle Dupuis
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Josephine Cassar

Rita Utt
Rita Utt  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
I love desktops May 4, 2021

because, if you buy them second hand, they are really cheap ...

neilmac

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
And also May 4, 2021

Rita Utt wrote:

because, if you buy them second hand, they are really cheap ...

and also you can keep reconfiguring them to your heart content - far easier and more options than with a laptop.

Robert Rietvelt
Philippe Etienne
Muriel Vasconcellos

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:17
German to English
Desktop May 4, 2021

With two monitors and a 3rd-party keyboard (Das Keyboard) which emulates the old IBM Selectric typewriter in both haptics and noise.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 02:17
Dutch to English
+ ...
Laptop May 4, 2021

I work on a laptop, which usually sits on my desk, and I have an additional large monitor. I put the source text on the monitor and the target text on the laptop. I only take the laptop off the desk if I want to read on the couch.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other May 4, 2021

When working from home, I prefer a desktop. I have a main desktop PC as well as a backup desktop in my spare room prepped and ready to go, which visitors can use as well, and an older desktop PC which I currently use as a bedroom TV/entertainment centre, although it could still be used for translating at a pinch, although it is slower than the more recent ones.

I also have a laptop which I mainly use when travelling or working away from my usual workstation.
NB: I don't do an
... See more
When working from home, I prefer a desktop. I have a main desktop PC as well as a backup desktop in my spare room prepped and ready to go, which visitors can use as well, and an older desktop PC which I currently use as a bedroom TV/entertainment centre, although it could still be used for translating at a pinch, although it is slower than the more recent ones.

I also have a laptop which I mainly use when travelling or working away from my usual workstation.
NB: I don't do anything to do with work on my phone. I don't see how anyone could do that comfortably.
Collapse

Miranda Drew

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Not any more May 4, 2021

I used to favour a quad desktop setup with five 36” monitors (source, target, 652 open browser pages, stock price feed and Netflix), two keyboards (one for each hand) and a foot-operated mouse for optimum efficiency and ergonomics.

But in the Covid working-from-home era, nobody expects quality any more, so I just put it all through GT on my phone whilst sipping a soya caramel latte at my favourite pavement café.

Elena Feriani
Peter Shortall
Michael Harris

Ludovicap
Ludovicap
Germany
German to Italian
+ ...
laptop May 4, 2021

I work with my laptop.

I only try to use two (my new and my 7-year old one) when I sometimes attend webinars or specialization courses, because I prefer having both at my disposal - the new one for the meeting, following the course, looking at the material on the screen etc., the old one for opening the provided learning material during lessons or taking quick notes

Nilton Junior
Nilton Junior  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2009)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Desktop May 4, 2021

Chris T wrote:

I used to favour a quad desktop setup with five 36” monitors (source, target, 652 open browser pages, stock price feed and Netflix), two keyboards (one for each hand) and a foot-operated mouse for optimum efficiency and ergonomics.

But in the Covid working-from-home era, nobody expects quality any more, so I just put it all through GT on my phone whilst sipping a soya caramel latte at my favourite pavement café.

This was my throught process while reading your post:

I used to favour a quad desktop setup - OK, I think he meant quad-core.
with five 36” monitors - Neat! I must see pics before I die!
source, target, 652 open browser pages, stock price feed [...] - I was played...

Christopher Schröder
Michael Harris

Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
1 Desktop, 3 Laptops May 4, 2021

I use my desktop, 2009-vintage, primarily for streaming podcasts and for reading emails first thing in the morning. Since I prefer to go outside of my home to do translation work, to avoid all the distractions and temptations, I have three laptops. One is 2011 vintage, which is still chugging along quite nicely, but which I mainly use in the bedroom. Another that I bought in 2015 is my favorite, because it has the best visual and sound quality; I first used it when I was on Ashland University's ... See more
I use my desktop, 2009-vintage, primarily for streaming podcasts and for reading emails first thing in the morning. Since I prefer to go outside of my home to do translation work, to avoid all the distractions and temptations, I have three laptops. One is 2011 vintage, which is still chugging along quite nicely, but which I mainly use in the bedroom. Another that I bought in 2015 is my favorite, because it has the best visual and sound quality; I first used it when I was on Ashland University's campus for three weeks every summer, while I was earning my graduate degree. Then there is the one that I purchased late last year, which I don't care for all that much because of its hyper-sensitivity to touch, something that often derails my navigation on webpages or to other websites. The only thing I like about it is its sleek appearance and its light weight.

[Edited at 2021-05-04 17:40 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-05-04 17:42 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-05-05 12:44 GMT]
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Laptop anywhere May 4, 2021

"Home" and "office" can be moveable concepts.

When stripping down possessions to just one or two bags, you give up some sedentary luxuries.

"Sadly", the desktop and dual screen set up had to go

Liena Vijupe
Yaotl Altan

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you work with a laptop or desktop computer?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »