Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: Do you have cat and/or dog and/or other pet(s)
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:02
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
3 dogs ans 2 cats Feb 9, 2020

expressisverbis

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:02
French to English
Yes Feb 9, 2020

Two dogs have hired us as their servants.

expressisverbis

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Lifestyle. Feb 9, 2020

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

....could anybody please explain what this topic has to do with translating? Last time I checked Proz was a platform for translators!

Yes, but there is also Lifestyle category on the forums, and this topic belongs in it. Some parts of the platform are obviously designated for lifestyle, health, leisure, and related subjects.

We have two cats, and used to have dogs, cats, fish, birds. We just love cat personality and they are also the most independent of all pets we had.

Elizabeth Tamblin

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@Lingua 5B Feb 11, 2020

Lingua 5B wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

....could anybody please explain what this topic has to do with translating? Last time I checked Proz was a platform for translators!

Yes, but there is also Lifestyle category on the forums, and this topic belongs in it. Some parts of the platform are obviously designated for lifestyle, health, leisure, and related subjects.

We have two cats, and used to have dogs, cats, fish, birds. We just love cat personality and they are also the most independent of all pets we had.

For your information, I joined Proz. for translation related issues, not to find out that you have two cats, and used to have dogs, cats, fish, birds. Good for you, but who cares!

If Lifestyle would be the topic I was interested in, I would have joined one (or more) of the hundreds of Lifestyle platforms available to us. Just look on Google.

Talking about Google, this is what Proz says about itself: 'Translation service and translation jobs for freelance translators and translation agencies'.

I rest my case.

Tom in London
ahartje

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
My proposed next poll topic: Feb 11, 2020

What did you have for breakfast today?

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Poll won´t be admitted by proz: Feb 12, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

My proposed next poll topic:
What did you have for breakfast today?

... because one of the possible answers (coffee) could lead to a competitor´s site, which name I am not allowed to mention here (something like "WordexchangersCafé").

[Bearbeitet am 2020-02-12 08:16 GMT]

Tom in London
P.L.F. Persio

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
OK, to make it more relatable: Feb 12, 2020

Can you translate/interpret your pet’s sign/body language? How many words can your pet understand?

ProZ is not the only professional site with some Lifestyle topics. LinkedIn has it a lot, for instance, and often times they do it particularly for corporate purposes. People post about their morning run, and they work for a software company (unrelated).

If you are not intersted in a topic, you skip it. I also pay for TV service which is full of commercials I’d rather
... See more
Can you translate/interpret your pet’s sign/body language? How many words can your pet understand?

ProZ is not the only professional site with some Lifestyle topics. LinkedIn has it a lot, for instance, and often times they do it particularly for corporate purposes. People post about their morning run, and they work for a software company (unrelated).

If you are not intersted in a topic, you skip it. I also pay for TV service which is full of commercials I’d rather not watch and want them not to be there. Where do I complain?

[Edited at 2020-02-12 08:22 GMT]
Collapse

Elizabeth Tamblin
Stepan Konev

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I sometimes invite some special pets ... Feb 12, 2020

... because a cat wouldn´t have enough space in my flat and couldn´t get out into nature:

Selvis

Guest pets for short time only, of course ...

[Bearbeitet am 2020-02-12 08:37 GMT]

DZiW (X)
P.L.F. Persio

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Animals recognize different languages Feb 12, 2020

I had a German shepherd/collie mix years ago. He was always accustomed to me speaking in English. One day I spoke to him in Spanish, and he did a quick head jerk to look around and see who else was talking! I continued to speak to him in Spanish and he quickly realized that it was I who was speaking. Since then, he never reacted surprised again about that.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dog masters and guest pets Feb 15, 2020

Good one, Elizabeth and Matthias! I can just see and hear Elizabeth's two canines making their lives a misery (although I suspect there's a huge emotional upside, too ...), and as for the three guest pets graphically displayed on the local Kiel newspaper, well, they were dead meat (literally) as soon as they arrived. The only thing missing is the chips. But maybe Germans aren't into fish 'n' chips ...?

Elizabeth Tamblin

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Mashed potatoes ... Feb 16, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

But maybe Germans aren't into fish 'n' chips ...?

and "Leipziger Allerlei" (canned mixed vegetables), topped with drawn butter. Freshly ground pepper and salt. The fish of course filleted and fried. Live can be so easy and ... delicious!

P.L.F. Persio

Costanza Bonelli
Costanza Bonelli  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
2 Dogs and one Chewie Feb 17, 2020

Ok, Chewie is my husband's nickname and I suppose I can't put him with the pets.

I have two Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs and learning to communicate with them has been like learning a new language, made of sounds and body posture.

I've often found myself thinking about it as it was another language I was learning, so it's been interesting to say the least.

Spettro is 9 years old, I've had him
... See more
Ok, Chewie is my husband's nickname and I suppose I can't put him with the pets.

I have two Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs and learning to communicate with them has been like learning a new language, made of sounds and body posture.

I've often found myself thinking about it as it was another language I was learning, so it's been interesting to say the least.

Spettro is 9 years old, I've had him since he was 2 months, Kira is 10 years old and she arrived when she was 3 years old. I love them to pieces, and they keep me a lot of company when I work... usually snoring on the sofa.
Collapse

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, my "Lucky" Jun 8, 2020

I have always had pets, more precisely cats. I just love these guys.
Lucky is my constant companion. He's now 2 years old.
I need to buy him a bed!

IMG_20180520_142645_resized_20200420_084730323

IMG_20200522_113615_resized_20200608_010955885

Angie Garbarino
Thomas T. Frost
Stepan Konev
P.L.F. Persio
Rachel Fell

kecen guo
kecen guo
Australia
Local time: 06:32
English to Chinese
+ ...
yes Jul 25, 2021

My bossy cat looks like a panther when he is yawning!

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:02
English to Russian
Alisa Jul 25, 2021

She helps me sort out and dress my cables. She believes the future lies in wireless technologies. That's why I have to reconnect my devices from time to time...
Kissunboshi

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have cat and/or dog and/or other pet(s)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »