Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: When we colonize the moon or Mars, how soon will we need to send translators and interpreters?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:25
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Amazing Apr 28, 2018

Peter Simon wrote:

you crazy diamond...

Some poll questions are just unbelievable.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
I missed this poll May 2, 2018

... but I have to say I already awarded the first prize ever I know in this category to the Houston-based Mir interpreter (who also happens to be a Prozian).

For the record.

Evgeny Andreyev
Evgeny Andreyev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:25
English to Russian
+ ...
as soon as the first misunderstanding arises May 2, 2018

I presume, as soon as the first misunderstanding between two or more colonizers arises, even between those speaking the same language

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:25
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
.. missed the poll May 2, 2018

Why only the moon or Mars?
For this Russlish would suffice, I'd say

Language experts will always be needed IMHO, as a machine - no matter how sophisticated - cannot (so far and I doubt it will ever) understand cultural differences, the very source of misunderstanings if not troubles.

Let's extend it to the Universe, for which I'd opt for an Universal language... no artificial language, but based
... See more
Why only the moon or Mars?
For this Russlish would suffice, I'd say

Language experts will always be needed IMHO, as a machine - no matter how sophisticated - cannot (so far and I doubt it will ever) understand cultural differences, the very source of misunderstanings if not troubles.

Let's extend it to the Universe, for which I'd opt for an Universal language... no artificial language, but based on existing languages

I am afraid it won't happen during my time on Planet Earth, so for me pure Science Fiction... might start writing a book on this subject though.

Giuliana

[Edited at 2018-05-02 19:34 GMT]
Collapse

Sigurjón Kristjánsson (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:25
English to Icelandic
+ ...
Translators in space May 2, 2018

Of course we will need translators and interpreters in space. The sooner we colonize space, the more imperative the need for people with our prowess. Sure there will be scientists that can speak the same language, but remember Apollo/Soyuz, when the astronauts had to learn Russian (to understand it, not speak it), and the cosmonauts had to learn English for the same reason. However, with more international relations, the more our profession will be involved, Moreover, as extraterrestrial tend... See more
Of course we will need translators and interpreters in space. The sooner we colonize space, the more imperative the need for people with our prowess. Sure there will be scientists that can speak the same language, but remember Apollo/Soyuz, when the astronauts had to learn Russian (to understand it, not speak it), and the cosmonauts had to learn English for the same reason. However, with more international relations, the more our profession will be involved, Moreover, as extraterrestrial tend to use more Extra Sensory Perception (ESP) and thought transfer, it is more likely, that only those of us with that gift (i.e. interfacers) , will be able to pass the recruitment screening, in addition to have a clean enhanced DBS check and elevated security clearance, but the question is, who will be choosing the candidates. Will it be done by the military, private entities like the Bohemian Group, or will it be the extra terrestrials that will be doing the hiring???Collapse

United Kingdom
English to Icelandic
+ ...
Lost in translation. May 2, 2018

Evgeny Andreyev wrote:

I presume, as soon as the first misunderstanding between two or more colonizers arises, even between those speaking the same language

This happened just before WWII was brought to an end, when the interpreter interpreted the words of the Japanese Emperor, to mean: "Not worth a comment" instead of "NO COMMENT", resulting in Hiroshima and Nagasaki getting bombed.

On that "bombshell", have a nice day, prozians.

edprevett
edprevett
Canada
French to English
I continue to believe that Receive Pronunciation means that no translation will be necessary. May 2, 2018

No translation will be necessary as all extra-terrestrials will speak like All Volenday bringing us news of fresh disasters in pukka RP.

aristyserra
aristyserra
Dominican Republic
Local time: 05:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Would there be a need? May 2, 2018

There are variois things to consider: firstly should there be a need for translators they would have to train the translators in the languages they would want in mars and should there be life there learn said language(s). Other things to consider is that if mankind is as advanced to have colonies in other planets they would have the devices and technology to autotranslate for people. We currently have apps for that. We feel that the need would be for diplomatic purposes and therefore translators... See more
There are variois things to consider: firstly should there be a need for translators they would have to train the translators in the languages they would want in mars and should there be life there learn said language(s). Other things to consider is that if mankind is as advanced to have colonies in other planets they would have the devices and technology to autotranslate for people. We currently have apps for that. We feel that the need would be for diplomatic purposes and therefore translators with other degrees such as law would be essential. It is a thinker though.Collapse

Rayan Abdulrrhman
Rayan Abdulrrhman
Sudan
Local time: 11:25
English to Arabic
+ ...
advanced technologies May 3, 2018

I think at that point there would be a really advanced technologies doing the work in replacement of us, and apparently, If we gonna translate into their language or to ours we have to learn their language first, If this the case so our profession won't end, because at the very least we need to communicate with others aliens on the others planets surrounded us, or there will gonna be like two or three other languages on moon or Mars, supposedly the probabilites in which we will continue our jo... See more
I think at that point there would be a really advanced technologies doing the work in replacement of us, and apparently, If we gonna translate into their language or to ours we have to learn their language first, If this the case so our profession won't end, because at the very least we need to communicate with others aliens on the others planets surrounded us, or there will gonna be like two or three other languages on moon or Mars, supposedly the probabilites in which we will continue our job there are pretty high! If technologies never get involved on this!Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
But who needs aliens? May 4, 2018

Here on earth I have clients who write like Yoda.

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:25
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
the cherry on the cake... May 4, 2018

Parrot wrote:

Here on earth I have clients who write like Yoda.

you made my day, dear.
So, we already need an extra professional category: text interpreters (or those, who bring back together signifier and signified) for the translators

Giuliana

Marlys Estrada
Marlys Estrada  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 03:25
English to Spanish
Right away... May 5, 2018

I'm guessing matt Groening will need a few translator and interpreters to work at Luna Park

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Is there a job posting on the site yet? May 8, 2018

If anyone finds a job posted on the site for translators/editors willing to relocate to either location, do please let me know. I'd be off like a shot .

But I think they'd be looking for my language teaching and editing skills rather than translation, because I'm sure they'll want just one common language there. Otherwise you'd immediately have the different factions creating their communities that kept secrets fro
... See more
If anyone finds a job posted on the site for translators/editors willing to relocate to either location, do please let me know. I'd be off like a shot .

But I think they'd be looking for my language teaching and editing skills rather than translation, because I'm sure they'll want just one common language there. Otherwise you'd immediately have the different factions creating their communities that kept secrets from the others. They'll be human, after all .

I really think that language would be English, for all sorts of reasons: the number of current speakers, taking into account all the non-native speakers; the ease of "getting by" in the language; its current status in international and space affairs, etc. However, those chosen as the first colonists would be neither stupid nor old fogies incapable of learning anything new, so there would be nothing stopping speakers of any language going. Those en route to Mars would have plenty of time for immersion learning, after all. Of course, after a relatively short period, the language would adapt to suit the needs of the new environment. It's nothing new - just think of all the cultures that flooded into North America and the way they all learned to communicate in their own brand of English. The automotive industry is a good example, as there are vast differences in terminology between the British and American variants. Within a couple of generations, those of you poor souls left behind on Earth - all 10 billion or more of you if nothing stops the current growth pattern - would probably need a translator to communicate with us.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When we colonize the moon or Mars, how soon will we need to send translators and interpreters?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »