management of Trados tags in memoQ
Thread poster: Angel Llacuna
Angel Llacuna
Angel Llacuna  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:01
English to Spanish
May 24, 2020

My client sends me Trados files that I translate with memoQ.

After sending a translation to the client, he reported that my translation contains a great number of tags on the source and target segments that were not present on the original Trados file sent to me.

Document as appears on Trados Studio :

... See more
My client sends me Trados files that I translate with memoQ.

After sending a translation to the client, he reported that my translation contains a great number of tags on the source and target segments that were not present on the original Trados file sent to me.

Document as appears on Trados Studio :

Same document opened in memoQ :

[Edited at 2020-05-24 06:25 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Angel May 24, 2020

Angel Llacuna wrote:

Can you share a screenshot showing what it looks like in MemoQ?

Did you send the client the translation in SDLXLIFF format or in MemoQ's own XLIFF format? I.e. did you save as target, instead of exporting bilingual?

Angel Llacuna
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel May 24, 2020

I sent the client a SDLXLIFF file, same file extension as the file that I received to be translated

[Edited at 2020-05-24 10:30 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-05-24 11:15 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:01
Danish to English
+ ...
HTML May 24, 2020

"See more …" is only displayed if you have configured Proz Forums not to display the complete posts.

Samuel asked for a MemoQ screenshot, by the way.

These are HTML tags, which must clearly have been in the original file. The question is why Studio didn't display them before translation but does display them now.

It would be interesting to compare the SDLXLIFFs in a text editor such as Notepad++.

MemoQ support might also help if you have a su
... See more
"See more …" is only displayed if you have configured Proz Forums not to display the complete posts.

Samuel asked for a MemoQ screenshot, by the way.

These are HTML tags, which must clearly have been in the original file. The question is why Studio didn't display them before translation but does display them now.

It would be interesting to compare the SDLXLIFFs in a text editor such as Notepad++.

MemoQ support might also help if you have a support subscription.
Collapse

Angel Llacuna
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
@Thomas May 24, 2020

The tags appear in Trados only after translating the document in memoQ
They were not visible in Trados before translating the document

[Edited at 2020-05-24 11:23 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Angel May 24, 2020

Angel Llacuna wrote:
They were not visible in Trados before translating the document.

Were the tags visible in MemoQ while you translated the file?

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:01
Danish to English
+ ...
MemoQ May 24, 2020

Angel Llacuna wrote:

They were not visible in Trados before translating the document

Yes, you already said that, but you didn't react to the request for a MemoQ screenshot.

Did you compare some segments in the SDLXLIFFs?

[Edited at 2020-05-24 11:28 GMT]

Angel Llacuna
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel May 24, 2020

yes, the tags were visible in memoQ from the moment that I opened the file in memoQ, but they were not visible on the original Trados file that the client sent me to translate

My initial post should show now 2 screenshots

[Edited at 2020-05-24 11:37 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Mystery solved? May 27, 2020

Angel Llacuna wrote:
My client sends me Trados files that I translate with memoQ. After sending a translation to the client, he reported that my translation contains a great number of tags on the source and target segments that were not present on the original Trados file sent to me.

Okay, so it turns out that when opening an SDLXLIFF file in MemoQ using the default options, MemoQ does not respect or retain the sub-segmentation of the SDLXLIFF file, but instead sub-segments the text according to its own ideas. Trados tries to reduce tags by deliberately placing certain tags outside of subsegments, but when MemoQ edits those files, MemoQ may move those tags to *inside* the subsegments, which will result in them showing up in Trados.

Whether these tags are inside or outside the subsegments should not affect Trados' ability to export the final translation in its final format, although the extra tags will have an effect on fuzzy matching.

For future readers, the solution appears to be that when importing the SDLXLIFF file, you have to choose "Import with options" and then select the files in the list and click "Change filter and configuration" and then tick the option "Keep segmentation as it is in the file". I'm not sure if this is possible if you open a package.

Angel Llacuna
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
the option "Keep segmentation as it is in the file" May 27, 2020

can be selected in MemoQ when importing the file

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

management of Trados tags in memoQ

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »