translation rates in CV : is it advisable ?
Thread poster: Angel Llacuna
Angel Llacuna
Angel Llacuna  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:52
English to Spanish
May 9, 2018

Do you specify your translation rates in the CV that you send to the agencies ?
Not a CV that you send in answer to a job offer, but to look for clients

Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:52
German to English
+ ...
No May 9, 2018

...is the short answer.

Don't lock yourself into one rate -- you have no idea what type of text/project is coming.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Why not? May 9, 2018

I would always give an agency my price up front. It screens out the low-payers straight away.

Angel Llacuna
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
some thougts that I have read on the web ... May 9, 2018

Some agencies want to spend as little time as possible assessing freelance translator CVs, so they sure don’t want to have to spend extra time asking for your rates.

Others simply won’t consider a CV that doesn't state the translator's rates.

As a compromise, I decided to state my rate, but adding the expression negotiable

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:52
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Not the way I work May 9, 2018

Angel Llacuna wrote:

Do you specify your translation rates in the CV that you send to the agencies ?
Not a CV that you send in answer to a job offer, but to look for clients

No, because it may vary from one client to another, and from one country to another

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Rate & business brochure May 9, 2018

Since I don't want my business brochure floating around, I always state my rates before I send my bb out in the second step. This way bottom feeders don't even get my business brochure.

Roisin Ni Cheallaigh (X)
Roisin Ni Cheallaigh (X)
Ireland
English to Irish
+ ...
"translation rates in CV: is it advisable?" May 9, 2018

I have never done it, but I think it is a good idea.
I would also do it for proofreading rate.

Eva Stoppa
Eva Stoppa  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
hardcore bottom feeders won't be impressed by rates given May 9, 2018

Chris S wrote:

I would always give an agency my price up front. It screens out the low-payers straight away.

Really? I have had bottom-end payoing agencies not being impressed by my rates, but promising me more jobs instead if I accepted the rates "Accepted by our translators". Or I also have had the answer: "We pay XXX.XXXX. This is not negotiable".

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
"negotiable" seems like a bad idea to me May 9, 2018

Angel Llacuna wrote:

As a compromise, I decided to state my rate, but adding the expression negotiable

If I were the person at a translation agency responsible for hiring freelancers and my main concern were spending as little money on them as possible, wouldn't I interpret that as: "Under no circumstances should you pay me more than x, and please make an attempt to get me to work for you at a lower rate!"

If you consistently don't have enough work at the moment, then it makes perfect sense to send out a relatively low offer and then sort things out when you are in a position to bargain effectively.

If someone likes your CV but not your rate, then negotiating to make the best out of a less than ideal situation also seems fine, but directly inviting potential clients to negotiate your rate down seems like shooting yourself in the foot.

There is also no reason not to send different offers to different potential clients based on your assumptions about what they will be willing to pay and your current need to work for those lower rates.

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Absolutely not May 9, 2018

Rates belong in a separate message, e.g. in an e-mail a CV is attached to, but never in the CV proper. The reason is simple - outsourcers sometimes contact you based on your CV they have been keeping for several years. If you have increased your rates in the meantime, the old rates in the CV may cause a serious misunderstanding between the oursourcer and you. Furthermore, depending on the client and the jobs you are expecting to get, you may want to vary your rates up or down.

[Edited at
... See more
Rates belong in a separate message, e.g. in an e-mail a CV is attached to, but never in the CV proper. The reason is simple - outsourcers sometimes contact you based on your CV they have been keeping for several years. If you have increased your rates in the meantime, the old rates in the CV may cause a serious misunderstanding between the oursourcer and you. Furthermore, depending on the client and the jobs you are expecting to get, you may want to vary your rates up or down.

[Edited at 2018-05-09 21:19 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes May 10, 2018

Angel Llacuna wrote:
Do you specify your translation rates in the CV that you send to the agencies?

Yes, but I call it my "usual rate" as a hint that the actual rate may be different. The actual rate may be higher or lower than the usual rate.

Angel Llacuna wrote:
As a compromise, I decided to state my rate, but adding the expression negotiable.

I would never use the word "negotiable". The word "negotiable" means "I will actually work for less, if only you ask me to".

[Edited at 2018-05-10 09:59 GMT]

Angel Llacuna
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
thank you all ... May 10, 2018

for your insights. I conclude that is preferable to give our translation rate on request.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translation rates in CV : is it advisable ?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »